Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do any of you count calories? page 2

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    My husband and I casually count calories. I check in about every 3 days or so, writing out what I had that day. DH did ours today, and I came out smack dab at 1500 calories.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Nope, I don't count calories, I could never be bothered with trying to figure them out. I don't want to be limited to only being able to eat what I can measure. I mean if I make a big meal for four of us, who knows how much meat, tomato, onion, cheese etc ends up in my portion? How many calories in an onion anyway. What if it's a bit bigger or smaller than the norm? etc etc. Seems crazy to me.

But I do measure my waist and hips every day. If it goes up a tad I'll go easy on portions sizes that day. No scales at home but I weigh at the gym each week or so if I remember, but I put less stock in that than in how my clothes fit.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I don't count calories. I'm not trying to lose any weight though. Back when I was trying to lose I kept track and made sure not to go over a certain number a day, but these days I keep track of my macros every few weeks and estimate a rough number, but that's it.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    I don't count calories.

Annakay is offline Junior Member
    I never count calories and always eat if hungry. In saying that on some days I can eat quite a lot and on others I do not feel very hungry. Being off grains and sugar has completely stopped my binges but I know from experience that if I do eat processed carbs it is a recipe for disaster. With this, over the last year or so, I have lost 25 pounds, a pound here and half a pound there and I never feel deprived. I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, will be 70 years old in a few days and find it difficult to exercise enough but I know that when I am able to do even a little exercise it does make all the difference to my weight loss. This week I have had a good week and lost 2.5lbs. I wish I had known about primal eating years ago but you know what they say, better late than never.

B2B
    B2B is offline Senior Member
    When I first started eating primally 2 years ago I just focused on the types of food and how I felt. Those fist 30pounds came off rather easily for me and then I hit a major plateau and did some tweaking and then more tweaking. Now I do track calories and macros, but still do not get overly concerned if I am over some magic number. This is currently working for me.
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.”
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

SW (January 2011): 208.5
    LPW (March 23, 2013): 156.0
    CW (July, 4, 2013): 172

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Yes, just eat good Primal food to satisfaction and you will do great. There may come a time when tracking becomes necessary, but for now just get used to this new way of eating.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    we don't need to lose weight, so we use it to make sure we are meeting our caloric needs. DH discovered today that his protein is a bit low, so he'll make an adjustment with thta this week.

It's a helpful tool for some.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Count, but don't limit.
    I'm keeping a log of what I'm eating. I note how many kcals, how much fat, protein and carbs and whether or not I had something outside my own Primal guidelines (so dairy is good, but too much hurts me: over 300g high-sugar dairy is noted, yoghurt is not; I'd note if I had hummus, but peas and green beans are just "normal" as well). Then, I can observe how my body responds. For example, last night I had a cider and a half (added sugar ones) and quite a bit of creme-fraiche. Today: digestive disruption. Neither probably helped, but I can assume that either on its own wouldn't cause that much trouble, as my log shows I've had more cider and more dairy before and not had the problem. However cheap cider + excessive dairy = disruption. A mix to avoid.

Same goes for kcals. If I eat 1500kcal on a weights day and feel fine, I'll know that that amount of exercise and that balance of fat, protein and carb works well. If I do the same exercise, have 1500kcal, keep protein about the same but have less fat and more carb, then feel unwell, I'll know that adding more fat could help curb it.

My example is excessive (I'm also using it as evidence for family and Drs, when they doubt me), but the idea can be simplified: don't limits kcals, just log them (even if just a couple of days a week: one quiet day and one active day) and keep an eye out for "odd" days. That way you can gauge what works vs what doesn't.
    With my example: protein levels are high, so I don't need to add much on weights days, but I process fat better than sugar (all equal, I need less kcals when eating mostly meat and more when eating mostly veg) and have trouble with large amounts of dairy, I can eat green legumes, but not dry ones and some rice, but must generally avoid wheat and oats.

It helps you adapt as your body "gets used to" eating natural foods and also helps you work out and around intolerances and cravings. I only recently worked out that what I thought was a "pizza craving" is a "dairy and meat" craving that can be solved by melting the smallest bit of cheese on some ground meat or bacon!
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

calee is offline Senior Member
    I think I'd say that I record my calories rather than count them at this point. Being formerly morbidly obese it was a necessary tool to help me achieve a normal body. Being able to look at my carbs, calories, protein in conjunction with the scale helps me see what's working or not. I just finished my first month of Primal eating. I love it and hope that it will help me find a good balance with life/food/movement.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast