Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'd like to know what convinced everyone to make the switch? page

the_walrus0 is offline Member

I'd like to know what convinced everyone to make the switch?

Primal Fuel
    I'm here because I realize there's something wrong with my diet and I need to try everything I can to find a way to get healthy. Primal makes sense, but there's always a flicker of doubt in the back of my mind. I am not a 'scienc-ey' person. I am a language major and I do well with reading, writing, grammar...things like that. To be completely honest, numbers scare me. Science itself actually fascinates me, when I can understand it, but there are times when I am completely lost.

So what I'm trying to say is my experience with SAD and CW is really what led me here and is what's making me give it my all towards this primal lifestyle. I figure something must be out of whack. Beyond that, to be completely honest, whole grains don't appeal to me. Obviously white bread does, but I think it appeals to most people. I realized I was spending mornings forcing down sludgy, unsweetened oatmeal, just telling myself how healthy it was for me. I was eating bland cereal, trying to get my healthy fiber. After a morning like that I was definitely salivating over the hot pockets in the vending machine, or the french fries in the cafeteria and then I would try to satisfy myself with a gross sandwich on whole grain bread, hoping the cravings would go away! Today I had two strips of bacon, cooked in butter, and three eggs, also cooked in butter. It was so amazing, I was only craving lunch later because I knew it was roast beef with carrots and celery in broth(made with olive oil). I feel so satisfied right now, you couldn't pay me to eat a hot pocket. In fact, for the first time in a long time I don't have the after lunch drowsiness.

Even if grains are not 'that bad' for you, I don't really want them. They are calorie dense and provide nothing for me. Sugar is a little different for me. I completely believe it to be unhealthy. I think maybe a small amount, here and there(not daily) probably won't kill you but I think the amount we consume in the SAD is just...well, sad.(Sorry, that was lame.)

I just want to know what convinced all of you? I'm not here to argue points or anything, I'm just curious. I think it's natural for people to question new things. When you guys started out did you have reservations? Did the science appeal to you or was it a gut feeling? Did someone you know have great success eating primal?

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Initially it was just another weight loss tool for me, something new to try.
    But once I realised how much better I felt I wanted to continue.

sarahelyse is offline Member
    For me, it was the evolutionary aspect of things. I had actually started researching the healthiest way to feed my dog, and the concept of feeding biologically appropriate food kept resurfacing. It made total sense - why should we feed dogs corn, when they're digestive systems have adapted to a diet that consists of meat?

Reading about the benefits that owners were seeing feeding this type of diet (cleaner teeth, healthier coat, better joints), I decided to google "what did humans evolve to eat?" And I wound up here. And thought it was ridiculous! "Nope, that's dumb. Why should I deprive myself of my favorite Italian meals?"

But something stuck with me. Something is wrong with people these days. Why are so many people depressed? Why are so many people ill? These types of maladies should have been weeded out by evolution. If a caveman was too depressed to get out of bed, he would not have survived long enough to reproduce, and that trait would have died with him. When humans essentially stopped evolving when we switched from hunter-gatherers to farmers. The pressure to survive was relieved. Our bodies are still programmed to eat like we were when evolution still had a say.

So, a whole year later, I came back to MDA. And read the same articles that I had a year before. Except this time, I was too sick and tired of struggling through life. I decided to give it a try. If it didn't work, at least the nagging thoughts about it would go away.

Finally, the straw that broke the camel's back was my grandma's death. She was in her mid 90's when she died, and her last few years were hard on everyone. I decided that I didn't want to have a slow decline like she did. I want to do the best I can for myself.

Phew! Okay, that was kind of long, but hopefully a language major won't mind too much.

cantare is offline Senior Member
    I just want to know what convinced all of you? I'm not here to argue points or anything, I'm just curious. I think it's natural for people to question new things. When you guys started out did you have reservations? Did the science appeal to you or was it a gut feeling? Did someone you know have great success eating primal?
    It was a combination of all these things.

I knew low-carb worked in practice (a cousin had lost major weight on Atkins, and I'd done it myself with more modest results).

I read the books by Taubes, Eades, Atkins, Phinney & Volek etc and found them logically persuasive.

At a gut level, it didn't make sense to me that an evolved natural instinct (hunger) should lead so many people so profoundly astray weight- and health-wise unless something was interfering with it: something too new to have been accounted for in our evolution. (The "food is overabundant" and "we're just lazier now" explanations always felt like cop-outs to me.) It didn't make sense to me that red meat and saturated fat and cholesterol should be so demonized when our bodies are made of the stuff and prefer saturated fat as the main mode of energy storage. And it sure as hell didn't make sense to me that I should be 39 and over 340lbs, sitting on the cusp of all sorts of serious health problems and unable to tie my shoes without getting winded, simply because I followed my own instincts regarding food.

And of course, as soon as I changed that one critical something--the type of food I ate--and saw the weight melt off, lab numbers improve, health problems vanish, and energy and mood swing into a steady positive zone--well, there's nothing like dramatic personal "n=1" results to confirm you in your choice!
    6' 2" | Age: 42 | SW: 341 | CW: 198 | GW: 180?

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”
    ― Søren Kierkegaard

the_walrus0 is offline Member
    Wow, Sarahelyse, I found Primal about a year ago too and had similar thoughts! It was like, "WHAT WILL I EAT?"

Now I am so glad to be rid of the grains. I could eat a huge pile of brown rice noodles and still be munching after dinner and right now I couldn't imagine eating anything else.

However, I haven't put myself in a calorie deficit, that I know of, yet. I have been eating when I'm hungry, but it hasn't been too much as far as I know. I would guess I'm at about 1,800 calories. That's close to what I need to lose weight, but I haven't eaten dinner yet. I imagine I'll have eaten close to 2,300 calories once I've had dinner, but I'm not really focusing on losing weight right now.

I just want to see how I feel after cutting out all grains and sugar. I hope it will eventually give me the energy to stay at a calorie deficit and see some weight loss, but this new lifestyle is really about tweaking my eating habits so they work for me and not against me.

ErinF is offline Senior Member
    I tried all the yo-yo diets out there and had tons of blood testing done for my hypothyroid symptoms and one day I just broke down then got pissed at myself for letting my body end up fat and not functioning the way it should. I was told to try a paleo diet to rule out food allergies and I found a link to this site from someones signature and I've never looked back. I like PB because its so different and I'm a little bit of a rebel.

Athanasey is offline Senior Member
    I stumbled across PB when I was trying to look for a way to control my allergies. I was breastfeeding so couldn't take antihistamines like I normally would but was sick of constantly having a dripping nose.

It took time but it worked and I barely ever have hay fever now.

I lost a bit of weight too so that was pretty awesome.

I keep going because I feel good, my allergies are under control and for the first time in my life I'm not anaemic! Plus the little one I used to breastfeed, turns out she's gluten intolerant so we'd be a GF house regardless.
    Became Primal August 2011

SW - 84kg / 185lb
    CW - 60kg / 132lb
    GW - 60kg / 132lb

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_walrus0 View Post
    I'm here because I realize there's something wrong with my diet and I need to try everything I can to find a way to get healthy. Primal makes sense, but there's always a flicker of doubt in the back of my mind. I am not a 'scienc-ey' person. I am a language major and I do well with reading, writing, grammar...things like that. To be completely honest, numbers scare me. Science itself actually fascinates me, when I can understand it, but there are times when I am completely lost.

So what I'm trying to say is my experience with SAD and CW is really what led me here and is what's making me give it my all towards this primal lifestyle. I figure something must be out of whack. Beyond that, to be completely honest, whole grains don't appeal to me. Obviously white bread does, but I think it appeals to most people. I realized I was spending mornings forcing down sludgy, unsweetened oatmeal, just telling myself how healthy it was for me. I was eating bland cereal, trying to get my healthy fiber. After a morning like that I was definitely salivating over the hot pockets in the vending machine, or the french fries in the cafeteria and then I would try to satisfy myself with a gross sandwich on whole grain bread, hoping the cravings would go away! Today I had two strips of bacon, cooked in butter, and three eggs, also cooked in butter. It was so amazing, I was only craving lunch later because I knew it was roast beef with carrots and celery in broth(made with olive oil). I feel so satisfied right now, you couldn't pay me to eat a hot pocket. In fact, for the first time in a long time I don't have the after lunch drowsiness.

Even if grains are not 'that bad' for you, I don't really want them. They are calorie dense and provide nothing for me. Sugar is a little different for me. I completely believe it to be unhealthy. I think maybe a small amount, here and there(not daily) probably won't kill you but I think the amount we consume in the SAD is just...well, sad.(Sorry, that was lame.)

my sentiments exactly.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinF View Post
    I tried all the yo-yo diets out there and had tons of blood testing done for my hypothyroid symptoms and one day I just broke down then got pissed at myself for letting my body end up fat and not functioning the way it should. I was told to try a paleo diet to rule out food allergies and I found a link to this site from someones signature and I've never looked back. I like PB because its so different and I'm a little bit of a rebel.
    a true paleo bad assssss!
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

DoraV is offline Member
    For me it was restricting calories, exercising 5-6 days a week for months and not being able to lose any weight. i knew something was wrong but couldnt figure out what it was. I've known I was allergic to wheat for about 12 years but I was so addicted to it I refused to give it up. Then a friend of mine went primal and sent me here and then it clicked. I remembered when i first found out I was allergic to wheat and gave it up for a few months and I was the thinnest I've ever been in my adult life.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast