Thread: Candida & CO die-off ~ back off or push through? page

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member

Candida & CO die-off ~ back off or push through?

Shop Now
    I started doing the Shangri-La diet using coconut oil which instantly made me feel tired and very foggy. After research it sounds like I'm experiencing die off from the anti-fungal properties of the coconut oil.

Before starting the Shangri-La diet (about 2-3 weeks now) I was not having any symptoms of candida symptoms like what I have in the past (more later) but have still experience a few food sensitivities, seasonal allergies during particularly heavy pollen years and stiffness/arthritis in my hands. About 15 years ago I went on Diflucan and anti-candida diet for 6 months and symptoms I had been experiencing had gone away. I have continued to eat well and take probiotics on a somewhat regular basis. This has brought me to think I no longer had candida, until the symptoms returned with the CO.

I'm feeling quite disfunctional at the moment. Hard to focus, very fatigued, full feeling in head, slightly dizzy and buzzy in the head. Also my appetite is ravenous (but no cravings on a particular food). '

I eat a 100% primal diet that includes grass-fed ghee, all meat is organic pasture raised (local farms), produce is all organic, 1 piece of fruit daily, fermented veggies, Primal Defense probiotics, D3 with K2, kelp tablets, turmeric capsules (for the hand inflammation). The only new thing is the coconut oil (nutiva extra virgin).

Should I back off to feel better or plow through and get the die-ff over with (if that is what is going on)?

Meg
    Meg is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    I started doing the Shangri-La diet using coconut oil which instantly made me feel tired and very foggy. After research it sounds like I'm experiencing die off from the anti-fungal properties of the coconut oil.

Before starting the Shangri-La diet (about 2-3 weeks now) I was not having any symptoms of candida symptoms like what I have in the past (more later) but have still experience a few food sensitivities, seasonal allergies during particularly heavy pollen years and stiffness/arthritis in my hands. About 15 years ago I went on Diflucan and anti-candida diet for 6 months and symptoms I had been experiencing had gone away. I have continued to eat well and take probiotics on a somewhat regular basis. This has brought me to think I no longer had candida, until the symptoms returned with the CO.

I'm feeling quite disfunctional at the moment. Hard to focus, very fatigued, full feeling in head, slightly dizzy and buzzy in the head. Also my appetite is ravenous (but no cravings on a particular food). '

I eat a 100% primal diet that includes grass-fed ghee, all meat is organic pasture raised (local farms), produce is all organic, 1 piece of fruit daily, fermented veggies, Primal Defense probiotics, D3 with K2, kelp tablets, turmeric capsules (for the hand inflammation). The only new thing is the coconut oil (nutiva extra virgin).

Should I back off to feel better or plow through and get the die-ff over with (if that is what is going on)?
    Hi Paleo Mom,

I am curious what you did? I have a skin rash that has been diagnosed as a yeast infection and the only way I have been able to remedy it is with a yeast free diet. I have had it on and off for a couple years and as long as I stay low sugar low yeast, I am okay. However, I have never fully gotten it to go away. Did the CO help? Did you stay on Shangri la diet?

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Hi Paleo Mom,

I am curious what you did? I have a skin rash that has been diagnosed as a yeast infection and the only way I have been able to remedy it is with a yeast free diet. I have had it on and off for a couple years and as long as I stay low sugar low yeast, I am okay. However, I have never fully gotten it to go away. Did the CO help? Did you stay on Shangri la diet?
    I didn't stick with the Shangri-La diet but when I was still doing it the CO side effect did start to go away. I'm not sure that I had candida, I just thought I might have because of the seeming dye off symptoms of the CO.

Before you go cutting out carbs to get rid of it, you should know that some doctors say that ketones are even better fuel for the candida and so it is better to keep some starch in the diet. I think kombucha and all other fermented foods are really good, keeping a clean diet and some say getting your body temp up will kill it.

Best of luck to you