Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Oz is not the Devil? page 6

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    The most celebrated college professors do important research and are on committees. It is an illusion that their jobs involve mostly teaching.

It is no doubt true that all the committees Dr. Oz runs and all the PR work he does for the hospital is important. But that in itself doesn't make him a better surgeon.

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    The most celebrated college professors do important research and are on committees. It is an illusion that their jobs involve mostly teaching.

It is no doubt true that all the committees Dr. Oz runs and all the PR work he does for the hospital is important. But that in itself doesn't make him a better surgeon.
    It doesn't make him a better surgeon and ... there is a huge amount of fiction there. There is no work for the committees, papers are written by someone else, research is done by someone else etc., decent human beings and wonderful doctors are terrorized "look what can be done, if one really wants," patients suffer when terrorized medical professionals are forced to "produce," etc.
    The "wonderful" FSU had a concept "stachanovism" derived from a name of a guy named Stachanov who allegedly produced some 14 times more than other workers. Yes, it was fiction. In reality, the whole thing was doctored, there was manipulation with data, there were invisible hands, etc.
    There is a good Polish film by Andrzej Wajda (Man of Marble - Gold Palm at Cannes) about a short, very short period of "stachanovism" in Poland. The Poles got rid of this nonsense, which the Soviets tried to impose, very, very, very fast.
    American "Ozism" is equally ugly and dangerous.
    Last edited by anna5; 04-10-2013 at 07:31 AM.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I think he should practice what he preaches... he shills a lot of crap on that show. But really, are we still all so stupid to believe shit like goji berries or whatever will make us thin? He has an audience of fat middle aged women who are not aging well. Obviously his advice is not effective.

More people need to think about where they get their advice- in the words of Doctor Phil, sorry... but "How's that working for you...and the rest of the followers?".

If I want to look good, I'll take advice from fit people with fit followers. New crossfit gym last night full of muscular women. Now I'm going to LISTEN to their advice. It obviously works.

Mostly I think people want easy answers.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    On the diet site I use there are lots of those middle-aged women always asking questions about the latest scam he is promoting. They get terribly upset when people tell them it's a scam. It's rude and unsupportive to tell people something is a scam when they really want to hear it is a magic pill or superfood that will bring them health and fitness at their ideal bodyweight without making any changes in their lives.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    The funny thing is that the path to health IS ACTUALLY EASY. I am now wearing size 10 jeans. I eat more than ever. I work out less than ever. I love the food I eat.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

kathyd is offline Junior Member
    never mind - my bad

Quote Originally Posted by kathyd View Post
    how did he go from selling out on TV to those kind of accusations?
    No, these are not accusations.
    He is a highly dishonest person who blossoms in the reality of American medicine (and media) and I am supposed to believe in what he, a highly dishonest person, is peddling. Sure.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member

With all the committee/business/media/PR commitments Oz has I cant see many time for real research - yes others could do all the work he skims over the written report and then has hes name added to the list of authors.

Committees/PR/Chairmanships is the work of managers/administrators and politicians - these people no have time to actually get there hands dirty, they have people do the messy/detailed stuff and have a completed job handed to them. The professional politician delivers a speach like he knows the intricate details of the subject hes talking about, the key word is 'delivers' ( the speach), he has a speach writer that writes it, research staff that write up briefings for him/her, many support people in the background, they all help him look professional, intelligent, grounded/in-touch. Its all an illusion but a powerful one.

If all the evidence has been provided in this forum of his surgical 'brilliance' then I would guess his actual cutting/shutting skills are probably marginal as he hadn't actually spent time to practice them - and in fact is more interested in the committees and exploiting business opportunitities than the actual surgery ( but continuing some surgery work looks great for his PR - I just hope theres a very experienced surgeon that's actually the lead surgeon in his operations)

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    On the diet site I use there are lots of those middle-aged women always asking questions about the latest scam he is promoting. They get terribly upset when people tell them it's a scam. It's rude and unsupportive to tell people something is a scam when they really want to hear it is a magic pill or superfood that will bring them health and fitness at their ideal bodyweight without making any changes in their lives.
    stop trying to promote your weirdo diet on them, weirdo
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Quote Originally Posted by EatMoveSleep View Post
    With all the committee/business/media/PR commitments Oz has I cant see many time for real research - yes others could do all the work he skims over the written report and then has hes name added to the list of authors.

Committees/PR/Chairmanships is the work of managers/administrators and politicians - these people no have time to actually get there hands dirty, they have people do the messy/detailed stuff and have a completed job handed to them. The professional politician delivers a speach like he knows the intricate details of the subject hes talking about, the key word is 'delivers' ( the speach), he has a speach writer that writes it, research staff that write up briefings for him/her, many support people in the background, they all help him look professional, intelligent, grounded/in-touch. Its all an illusion but a powerful one.

If all the evidence has been provided in this forum of his surgical 'brilliance' then I would guess his actual cutting/shutting skills are probably marginal as he hadn't actually spent time to practice them - and in fact is more interested in the committees and exploiting business opportunitities than the actual surgery ( but continuing some surgery work looks great for his PR - I just hope theres a very experienced surgeon that's actually the lead surgeon in his operations)
    Good comment. Most people who never did RESEARCH (not googling) for example, have no idea how time consuming this activity is and how much focus (and time) activities, such as research and scientific/scholarly writing, when serious and authentic, require. One just can't fill an hour between sessions of charming the audience and selling whatever, with any meaningful research and serious writing. It doesn't work this way: 9 am. - Oprah, 11 am - selling product, 1pm power lunch, 3pm Dr. Oz, 5pm - the world's most important research, 6pm - Costume Ball at the Met, 11 pm - the world most important writing. Friday - cutting people.
    Pure and very damaging fiction.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast