Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr. Oz is not the Devil? page 2

Primal Moose is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Dr. Phil is the devil. I've heard a rumor that the only way to get rid of him is to cut off his head and bury it on a separate continent from his body.
    No, no, no...you're thinking of his "agent", Bebe...
    Frasier_0011.jpg

Oz is great. He's entertaining but also a hell of a lot smarter than he makes out. He gives a lot of people platforms, yes, even sensationalists and quacks ( and you can put Taubes in this category). But ultimatly, the amount of guests and view points that get aired on his show present the opportunity to set many people down a healthier path.
    It's also actually kind of funny how some people here get so outraged by him.
    Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 02-03-2013 at 01:26 AM.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    From the article:

Oz doesn’t follow any of the miracle cures or fad diets that he trots out so regularly for his audience. He eats like a Paleolithic hunter-gatherer and exercises daily.

He WHAT?!? So he's following some form of Paleo, and yet he's not pushing it on his show? Nor has he recommended Paleo to Oprah (or he did and she refused). Admittedly, Oz has invited some low-carb speakers like William Davis. But Oz hasn't gone full bore Paleo on his audience, and that's a shame.

I suspect it's because there is little sponsorship to be had in Paleo/Primal. You can't advertise for local farmers' markets on national TV.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Dr Oz sells TV and the only way he has found to do that is to present each trend as if it is the way to go, even if it contradicts what he said last month.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Yep, you're not going to get and keep an audience telling people just to eat natural foods. He needs material to run a show people will watch and sponsors will pay for.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    I find he's just a trend follower.

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    DR Oz isn't the Devil, but he is his cousin twice removed... /sarc/

interzone is offline Member
    To make for ratings-friendly television I do think he has to cater to a pretty low denominator: fat, middle-aged women who want to eat lots of junk food and never exercise but still be slim and attractive to their partners. Thus, his show focuses on variants of the following topics:
    1) quick weightless (supplements and cleanses and trendy new books!)
    2) have your thyroid checked! A sluggish thyroid and not a sh!tty diet is why you're so fat and lethargic. Also, supplements.
    3) are you having enough sex? There's a supplement for that!
    4) shape and consistency of poop. Did you know there's a brand new supplement for this?

I'd love to see a list of all the pills this man has pushed on his audience.
    32-y.o., 5'7", 125lbs.
    Looking to improve my way of eating and mange a lean PCOS diagnosis without medication.
    Proud 80/20 primal mama of twins born March 2012 and surprise #3 due August 2013!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Dr. Oz is a for-profit corporation. The man himself is separate from that. The sooner this sort of thing is understood, the better.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Moose View Post
    No, no, no...you're thinking of his "agent", Bebe...
    Frasier_0011.jpg
    LOL. Harriet Sansom Harris (the actress) played the creepiest of creepies in an X-Files episode called "Eve."

Dr. Oz wouldn't have lasted more than a season if he would have just had simple common sense to sell. Think of all the posts we see here at MDA where someone is asked how they lost all the weight, and when answered, the questioner says, "Oh, I could never give up bread/cereal/whatever."

TV is entertainment. That is all.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast