Thread: Questions on Trigger Point Therapy page

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member

Questions on Trigger Point Therapy

I've had lots of people suggest trigger point therapy, which I believe is the technique of applying intense pressure to the trigger points (muscle knots) using a lacrosse ball, or something like it. Does this sound accurate?

My question is, how long should it take to solve these muscle knots I have in my back and shoulders? I've been going at them for about two weeks now, at least twice a day and they're still there and still causing tension.

Does anyone have any experience in this area?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

sarahelyse is offline Member
    My physical therapist used this technique on my hip muscles. At the start of therapy, I could feel the same muscles tightening back up on the drive home from the pt office, but as I strengthened the complementary muscle groups (my abs), the time between the release and the re-tightening lengthened.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Trigger point is similar to what you describe, but really bad trigger points are knotted little points- like a bead in your muscle. You push on it and you'll want to cry.

I dated a girl years ago that had this, because of some spinal issues she had- and when I hit the points, I could feel them like a little bead in her muscle, and it would HURT. I think that there's probably a limit to how much you can do on your own with this.

Also, trigger points are knots of muscle. Those muscles are knotted for a reason, and if you don't work out those reasons, you'll never get rid of the knots entirely. If there is a postural issue that your body is compensating for, or just some kind of odd, chronic bad body positioning, you have to fix that too.

Thanks for the input guys, both helpful. I do have postural issues, but I'm seeing a chiropractor 5 days a week to resolve that. I'm just trying to supplement with TPT to see if I can speed up the process.

I do have the little beads/knots, and they are excruciating, but I've built up a pretty high pain threshold for them. They way I can tell that I've really got on is that I get a coppery taste in my mouth and start salivating for some reason. I often tines get referred pain up to my neck and down my arms. Lately I've been doing 10 minute or so sessions. At the very least I feel like I'm being proactive, if not effective.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Last year one of my Neuro's suggested me trying a set of PT stretches as part of my treatment.
    And I did. And everyday no matter how well I stretched it seemed like I was back at square one the next day.

So I took it one step further.
    I started seeing a massage therapist for deep tissue massage with pressure point release.
    At first I went every week.
    There were SO many knots. And there was so much pain working them out.
    (Seriously... cursing and wanting to cry on that table.)
    But after a couple of months I reduced to every other week, and now I can go once a month...
    Though I still like to go twice a month just because a lot of the time.
    (Now there is still some discomfort... it is deep tissue after all... but I don't get the knots like I used to or have the pain!)
    On the weeks I don't see my regular MT I sometimes don't get the pressure point release and I can tell it makes a difference... for whatever reason depressing those nerves causes the muscles to relax and be de-knotted or whatever and stay that way longer IMO.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks Cori, it nice to know (though a little depressing) that even a professional giving you treatments once a week took a couple months. This gives me hope that if I keep it up they will go away. I'll keep at it and see what I can do!