Thread: Cold Weather Sun Exposure page

Skrumpy is offline Junior Member

Cold Weather Sun Exposure

Primal Fuel
    Hey everyone,

Relatively new to TPB here and just gathering more in depth information as I traverse the wisdom I'm reading both here in the forums and in Mark's book. One thing I'm concerned about is getting adequate levels of sunlight as I live in a northern state that right now is sporting 4 degrees as a high. There also isn't much to do outdoors right now as there isn't even much snow on the ground even if I wanted to get out and do some wintery activities (skiing, snowshoeing etc). I am also not a fan of supplementation. I'd rather get my Vit D naturally if at all possible. So this leads me to the path of possibly using a tanning salon to meet my needs. Anyone else out there doing this? I know a booth isn't going to 100% match the sun, and I should be limiting my exposure to very brief periods, but is there any other concrete information out there about tanning booths as alternatives during winter months?

Thanks!

jpartie is offline Junior Member
    I use a daylight box. Google daylight boxes for SAD.

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    To me (also living in a climate where it's damn cold and the days are 8 hours long right now), swallowing a supplement through the winter is safer and easier than trying to tan my vitamin D levels up. I don't see laying in a tanning bed as getting vitamin D naturally, either. And the melanoma risk from repeated exposure to unnaturally high levels of UV just isn't worth it.