Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Has becoming primal/paleo ruined your life? page 9

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Maybe reinstate the draft, but instead of drafting military conscripts we draft representatives. Treat it like jury duty where a big pool of potential representatives are called, there is a selection process (popular vote but the only choices are the draftees?), and the people chosen to serve get a pay check for the 6 years or whatever of their term and everyone else goes home. It wouldn't be perfect but it would be better than what we have today.
    Now that is a good idea. How do we institute it?
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Him View Post
    The reason you can't argue is that your position depends on such fallacies.
    No. The reason I can't argue is that you have very Him-specific definitions that you keep trotting out. An expert has to leverage theory into action? Who knew? A capitalist can't inherit money? Again, who knew?

I enjoy a good political argument. This isn't one.

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    No. The reason I can't argue is that you have very Him-specific definitions that you keep trotting out. An expert has to leverage theory into action? Who knew? A capitalist can't inherit money? Again, who knew?

I enjoy a good political argument. This isn't one.
    There are at least three named fallacies in that response.

Those aren't Him-specific definitions. How so? I never said anything like either statement.

An expert doesn't need to do anything, but someone who cannot apply knowledge is not an expert. Google define:expert to see why.

A capitalist can inherit and I never said otherwise. Engels did not. What someone else can do has no bearing on Engels. Engels, not capitalists in general, is the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Him View Post
    There are at least three named fallacies in that response.

Those aren't Him-specific definitions. How so? I never said anything like either statement.

An expert doesn't need to do anything, but someone who cannot apply knowledge is not an expert. Google define:expert to see why.

A capitalist can inherit and I never said otherwise. Engels did not. What someone else can do has no bearing on Engels. Engels, not capitalists in general, is the subject.
    Hey, terrific. I'm sure this all makes perfect sense to you. To me, it's gibberish. So I'd just be wasting our time.

Him
    Hey, terrific. I'm sure this all makes perfect sense to you. To me, it's gibberish. So I'd just be wasting our time.
    Maybe you will have better luck if you look at the Engels situation this way...

Let's say you have two people. Al and Bob. Both are young men, fresh from university. Both have parents who own fast food restaurants. Both receive unexpected phone calls.

Al's call goes like this: "I don't know how else to tell you: Your parents are both in the hospital. They still have the restaurant but if you don't run it, it will go out of business."

Bob's call goes like this: "I don't know how else to tell you: Your parents are both dead. You now have a restaurant but if you don't run it, it will go out of business."

Both men proceed to do exactly the same thing: Take over and run a restaurant. However, only one man has inherited a restaurant. Only one man becomes a restaurateur. Al is working at the restaurant, Bob owns the restaurant.

Engels worked at a factory for his father. That doesn't mean that he inherited one. He worked as a manager but it was still working for someone else. He was like Al in the story above.

To be a capitalist you must use your own money to make money. Capitalists OWN the means of production. Engels didn't do that because it wasn't his money and it wasn't his factory any more than the restaurant Al ran was Al's restaurant. This doesn't say (as you tried to claim) that capitalists can't inherit. It says that since Engels didn't inherit he wasn't a capitalist any more than Al in the story above is a restaurant owner.

Work through it a few times. It will become clear. Don't beat yourself up if it takes you some time though. Logic is like math...everyone can learn it, but not everyone can learn it the first try. It used to be that if you had a high school education you would've been at least exposed to this sort of thing but nowadays, well, the conspiracy theorists like to say that education is being dumbed down to make people easier to control but I think it's just incompetence.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Your post would have read better without the final paragraph, Him.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Him
    True. Of course I'm speaking of the USA and don't mean to impugn high schools in other parts of the world.

Rojo sounded frustrated by the whole thing and that's not my goal. Everyone can be logical but most people are never taught to use logic as a tool, which is just about criminal in my opinion. Logic is a skill, not something people are born with, but it's a very important skill. Not teaching kids how to use it is like not teaching kids how to cook. Yet here we are and this is the world we live in....

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Yup. Definitely have noticed the same thing.

Your post would have read better without the final paragraph, Him.
    No, no, the last part was vital. Him's a wise man leading us from darkness. Him never makes short posts. And more words means more smart.
    Last edited by Rojo; 02-06-2013 at 10:00 PM.

Him
    No, no, the last part was vital. Him's a wise man leading us from darkness. Him never makes short posts. And more words means more smart.
    Wikipedia:
    According to Rudolph Joseph Rummel, the killings done by communist regimes can be explained with the marriage between absolute power and an absolutist ideology Marxism.
    "Of all religions, secular and otherwise," Rummel positions Marxism as "by far the bloodiest bloodier than the Catholic Inquisition, the various Catholic crusades, and the Thirty Years War between Catholics and Protestants. In practice, Marxism has meant bloody terrorism, deadly purges, lethal prison camps and murderous forced labor, fatal deportations, man-made famines, extrajudicial executions and fraudulent show trials, outright mass murder and genocide." He writes that in practice the Marxists saw the construction of their utopia as "a war on poverty, exploitation, imperialism and inequality and, as in a real war, noncombatants would unfortunately get caught in the battle. There would be necessary enemy casualties: the clergy, bourgeoisie, capitalists, 'wreckers', intellectuals, counterrevolutionaries, rightists, tyrants, the rich and landlords. As in a war, millions might die, but these deaths would be justified by the end, as in the defeat of Hitler in World War II. To the ruling Marxists, the goal of a communist utopia was enough to justify all the deaths."

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast