Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Has becoming primal/paleo ruined your life? page 2

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Maybe this isn't the same topic at all, but in a way being primal has separated me from society. Because I'm healthier and happier than pretty much everyone I know, and most people find this weird and strange. I'm like a weird alien. In order to fit in, I would have to pretend to be as miserable as everyone else - fat, sick, unhappy, stuck in unhealthy relationships, torturing myself with chronic cardio, eating fat-free fake food. I have a couple of friends who are in on the secret, but for the most part I have to either hide the greatness of my life or be ostracized. I hope for the day when primal/paleo becomes more mainstream and more people join me in being happy.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    My new goal! Thanks Dino Can I use this as a tag on my signature (I will quote you of course)

Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by valmason01 View Post
    My new goal! Thanks Dino Can I use this as a tag on my signature (I will quote you of course)
    Use away, LOL
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks! I did

Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    Use away, LOL
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Forget any secret cabals, they don't exist. It's more about elite opinion, which one has to adopt to move up the power ranks. It can lefty like Obama or righty like Bush, but the dictates of capitalism and imperialism won't be denied.

What's scrary to me is the way this elite opinion has colonized regular people, masquerading as some sort of defiance -- pathetic, impotent defiance.

"The best trained dogs do their tricks when the master's not around" ~Stalin

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    Maybe this isn't the same topic at all, but in a way being primal has separated me from society. Because I'm healthier and happier than pretty much everyone I know, and most people find this weird and strange. I'm like a weird alien. In order to fit in, I would have to pretend to be as miserable as everyone else - fat, sick, unhappy, stuck in unhealthy relationships, torturing myself with chronic cardio, eating fat-free fake food. I have a couple of friends who are in on the secret, but for the most part I have to either hide the greatness of my life or be ostracized. I hope for the day when primal/paleo becomes more mainstream and more people join me in being happy.
    The disconnect that others have is mind-boggling! My co-workers have commented on my energy, my attitude, my looks - all in a positive manner. But then they go on to warn me about heart disease, gout, colon cancer, blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. because of the way I eat.

I guess is nice of them to be concerned, but really? They believe that a way of eating that makes me feel better, look better, perform better and think more clearly is KILLING me?
    "It's a great life, if you don't weaken.". John Buchan

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I'm pretty happy with my life. In terms of "lifestyle choices", food, freedom to work, medical options etc. I feel that there are more options for us than there were 10 years ago. So yeah, big agriculture pimps GMO stuff, but then the market has made it profitable for awesome small farmers and raisers of grassfed beef, and local honey. 10 years ago,the farmers market had no one with meat and only a few local people.

We have a ton of medical options now. Naturopaths, holistic people, chiros, on and on. We can opt out of the regular health care market, though we are mandated to be insured. But I bet that market catches on that some people would like a plan that covers holistics instead of drugs.

We have more housing choices in my region. I can live on 20 acres or I can have a downtown condo.

I think the market is FAR more important than the government. Problem is that consumers vary. Most people don't give a shit about GMO or Factory Farms. How do you get people that eat McDonalds and drink Mountain Dew to care about GMO? They don't. But, the market is willing to cater to those that do, and the government allows it in most cases, except for stuff like raw milk in some areas.

People get what they want. Most people just want immediate pleasure and gratification for cheap. The market knows this and sells it.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    Probably off-topic too, but primal has ruined going out to eat, and eating at social gatherings. I can't shut off the internal voice that asks what oil or fat was used to cook something in, or where did they get the meat. I love to cook but I also used to love to go out to eat. Now, that is an exercise in deal-making. Before I was primal, I had started taking better care of myself physically, working out a lot and making it a priority. It may be the people I spend the most time with, but they pretty much just make fun of the time I spend on yoga, weight training, and now especially with food. Some take particular pleasure in seeing if they can make me break and eat something I've cut out of my diet. And then telling me that cooking in butter, tallow and coconut oil is going to give me heart disease when I'm flinching as they pour sketchy vegetable oil into their recipes, to try and make them 'healthy'.

It's a weird line to straddle. I am really happy with how I feel physically and mentally, and maybe my friends feel like I get a little too judgmental cause I happily talk about the changes I've made -when they're still doing the SAD diet and no exercise, I probably sound like a jerk. And honestly, you can visually see the difference in my health versus theirs, even when they are considerably younger. It's hard not to preach, which is funny since I am decidedly non-religious.

So, things I used to thoughtlessly enjoy are no longer enjoyable and it feels lonely sometimes when no one else cares about the things I've come to care about. But, it has been nice when someone tells me that my chowder/beef stew/sauces are the best they've had. I don't feel as bad telling them how good food like that is made, cause they have already expressed appreciation.

Primal Pamme is offline Member

You are not alone

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It started with food for hubby and I, too. The more you step out of the mainstream, the more you realize how few choices we really have. We are caught in a monkey trap.

I have found peace by living a life that is as self-reliant as possible. I could and will do more, but there really is just no escaping it. We are all in this corporate dug hole together. It is hard sometimes not to just give in. But, I trudge along knowing that it will all collapse in on itself one day, and in the mean time there are things I can do to live the best life I can despite the weight of it all.

This should help a bit, or maybe not: HumAnarchist

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast