Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Has becoming primal/paleo ruined your life? page 13

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by whitebear View Post
    The way it is now we need security from our neighbors and from the collective or common. I know how nasty things would get if we all of a sudden had anarchy and honestly I'm not really prepared for that but I would gladly die protecting my own than continue life as blindfolded livestock. Die on your feet or live on your knees. I'm sick of living on my knees and I think a lot of other folks around the world are feeling this as well.
    Yep. I used the phrase "totally cooperative society" but what we're living in is a totally codependent society. Quite different, though a lot of people can't seem to tell the difference.

Most people aren't prepared for the costs of anarchy. They see the social approach as more efficient and they are right. The problem comes at the break-down of cooperation. Today your home is in a place with police, laws, order, and so on. Tomorrow it might not be. At that point, you will pay the cost of anarchy one way or another whether you like it or not. That's the risk you take with the cooperative approach. Unfortunately, it's an infrequent risk, vs. the constant cost of maintaining individual security. Over a lifetime, the cooperative approach (With infrequent breakdowns) will be less expensive for most people than the self-sufficient approach. That means it's very hard to convince them to spend the extra money, time, and inconvenience needed to support the infrastructure of anarchy.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Really this idea of "social costs" is just an illusion. Tax-payers work so much to pay taxes that they are not saving any time or money in acquiring government-provided security, an oxymoron that I'm sure makes any more intelligent poster here laugh at the sight of it.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Him
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    right now the security that you are talking about, (someone respecting the lock on my door) is rather expensive, because they "respect" this lock because of fear of the police. ...
    I'm not sure. I think a lot of people don't respect the lock because they basically don't want to steal from you. It's a social contract perhaps, where we all agree that being stolen from sucks so we mostly agree not to be the cause of that suckage. Some people of course only fear the repercussions (police, armed homeowners, social stigma, etc), I have no idea what the ratio is, or what it can be.

Really this idea of "social costs" is just an illusion. Tax-payers work so much to pay taxes that they are not saving any time or money in acquiring government-provided security, an oxymoron that I'm sure makes any more intelligent poster here laugh at the sight of it.
    Not sure what you mean. If you dress up in neon green spandex and put condoms over your ears there is definitely a social cost. There would also be laughter at the sight, but the laughter is not at the social cost.
    Last edited by Him; 02-08-2013 at 08:18 AM.

Well the people that do not want to rob me are not a problem and would not be without government either- in fact, people who respect me just because they are decent are generally punished and discouraged from helping me by government, and in a system without imposed laws, would offer me MORE assistance- they wouldn;t need licenses to help me with medicine, construction, child-birth, education, security, manufacturing, waste-removal, etc etc etc etc, whereas now, the State actively prohibits them from giving me aid in any of these arenas without first being designated as the one who gets to take money for these services.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

whitebear is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Him View Post
    Yep. I used the phrase "totally cooperative society" but what we're living in is a totally codependent society. Quite different, though a lot of people can't seem to tell the difference.

Most people aren't prepared for the costs of anarchy. They see the social approach as more efficient and they are right. The problem comes at the break-down of cooperation. Today your home is in a place with police, laws, order, and so on. Tomorrow it might not be. At that point, you will pay the cost of anarchy one way or another whether you like it or not. That's the risk you take with the cooperative approach. Unfortunately, it's an infrequent risk, vs. the constant cost of maintaining individual security. Over a lifetime, the cooperative approach (With infrequent breakdowns) will be less expensive for most people than the self-sufficient approach. That means it's very hard to convince them to spend the extra money, time, and inconvenience needed to support the infrastructure of anarchy.
    This opens the door to too much manipulation and corruption and who said any thing about money? People have been fooled into giving up independence and responsibility. Yes, take care of me please so I can watch tv and not think. The security provided to us is actually a way to control us through the illusion of safety and freedom. I think the world would be a better place if people could really take care of themselves and not be so dependent on the system. The reality is that we are now slaves as most are now so dependent on the system that they could not survive without it. And they tell you you are free.
    Last edited by whitebear; 02-08-2013 at 08:23 AM.

That actually isn't an opinion- it's a scientific fact that can be verified by the measurable presence of chemical levels in the body that equate to strength, ascendency, contentment and physical and emotional health.

Him
    Quote Originally Posted by whitebear View Post
    This opens the door to too much manipulation and corruption and who said any thing about money? People have been fooled into giving up independence and responsibility. Yes, take care of me please so I can watch tv and not think. The security provided to us is actually a way to control us through the illusion of safety and freedom. I think the world would be a better place if people could really take care of themselves and not be so dependent on the system.
    The phrase that was popular in my youth went like this: "No shit, Sherlock." Nowadays people seem to use the less scatological, "Thank you Captain Obvious!"

I'm not saying I like how the system works. I'm just saying why (I think) it is what it is. You've got to understand what drives a thing to be what it is if you want to change it.

it is a church of domination of human consciousness. The vulgar say "government."

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    Being an "individualist" means that I can like the color red, you can like blue, and we are both right; and yet we work together to build a wall for mutual protection, or kill an antelope for our mutual welfare.
    From Nicator's context I was reading more to "individualist" than "different strokes for different folks". I saw it as everyone going it alone like homesteaders. I think this holds more appeal to Americans than a lot of other countries. We love the Jeremiah Johnson ideal. What's not to love. But I think it deserves some dy-mystification. The go-it-alone frontiersman was always mostly myth.

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicator View Post
    Haha, your thinking is diseased.
    Why is this necessary?

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast