Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Has becoming primal/paleo ruined your life? page 12

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    And "individualst society" is a bit of a contradiction. We've been social creatures since we started hunting in packs. It's the default human organizing principle.
    Are you suggesting that everyone that works with another for their mutual benefit makes everyone in the group alike? (Assuming that you are considering the definition of "society" as a group of people that work together for their mutual benefit) You can cooperate with one another for each other's mutual benefit without being just like everyone in the group. Being an "individualist" means that I can like the color red, you can like blue, and we are both right; and yet we work together to build a wall for mutual protection, or kill an antelope for our mutual welfare.

Nicator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Sure there is. Nobody doubts that. You can't just dump toxins in a river that runs through your property. You can't emit toxic fumes. There are zoning laws that prevent your neighbor from turning his property into a strip club.

I don't see what one has to do with the other. The Confederacy respected private property but enslaved millions.

Maybe it began as such for white men. Maybe. And "individualst society" is a bit of a contradiction. We've been social creatures since we started hunting in packs. It's the default human organizing principle.
    Haha, your thinking is diseased. I truly hope you and your ilk end up with the government you deserve...it's looking favorable for you.

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    Good gods what have I started?
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmbear View Post
    No worries...
    Nothing that hasn't been started here about 1000 times before.
    These same cronies have at this same sort of conversation on a fairly regular basis, just a few of the players change out.
    It's actually a bit tedious.
    Watch for it again in a couple of months and see if I'm not telling the truth.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Nicator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmbear View Post
    The trouble is, you incorrectly identified the 'right' side, or 'conservative' side of the political spectrum as 'taking away freedoms'. The true political spectrum identifies totalitarian government (Stalin and Hitler) on the far left, and the absence of government on the far right.

The irony is that most of the societal ills that leftists whine about are impossible without government meddling, and they prescribe more government meddling as the solution. This decay of circumstance is so gradual that people at large still think conservatism is the boogeyman while they inhabit a leftist society.

On this spectrum, George W. Bush and Vladimir Lenin-Obama are virtually identical, although the distinction of using drones to assassinate citizens without due process goes to the one slightly left...

whitebear is offline Senior Member
    I'm for anarchy. Personally I think all politics and government are shit. With everything we've learned from the PAST there is no good reason we can't evolve into something better.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicator View Post
    The trouble is, you incorrectly identified the 'right' side, or 'conservative' side of the political spectrum as 'taking away freedoms'. The true political spectrum identifies totalitarian government (Stalin and Hitler) on the far left, and the absence of government on the far right.

The irony is that most of the societal ills that leftists whine about are impossible without government meddling, and they prescribe more government meddling as the solution. This decay of circumstance is so gradual that people at large still think conservatism is the boogeyman while they inhabit a leftist society.

On this spectrum, George W. Bush and Vladimir Lenin-Obama are virtually identical, although the distinction of using drones to assassinate citizens without due process goes to the one slightly left...
    I agree that Dubya and Obama are pretty much the same, except that Obama is probably slightly worse, in my opinion, because he puts on a better facade (a very superficial one, but still).

But the one-dimensional political spectrum doesn't work well. I remember in high school, my government teacher drew this stupid 1-D spectrum where he put communists on the far left and fascists on the far right. He then placed liberals and conservatives next to the communists and fascists, respectively, and then he put libertarians in the middle! WTF, are libertarians the new moderates? Anyway, a better political spectrum would have at least two dimensions. An interesting one was set forth in this book: Amazon.com: Eight Ways to Run the Country: A New and Revealing Look at Left and Right (9780275993580): Brian Patrick Mitchell: Books

One axis was kratos and the other was archy. The book contains some interesting analysis, and its 2-D spectrum definitely works better than the 1-D one (it's also better than the Nolan chart, which has economic liberty as one axis and personal liberty as the other). Anyway, you can read a summary of the archy-kratos spectrum here: Political spectrum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edit: I'm glad that exposure to the primal/paleo lifestyle is making people question other types of conventional thinking. Maybe there is still hope for humanity?
    Last edited by diene; 02-08-2013 at 08:01 AM. Reason: See "Edit" above

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by whitebear View Post
    I'm for anarchy. Personally I think all politics and government are shit. With everything we've learned from the PAST there is no good reason we can't evolve into something better.
    The problem with anarchy comes down to the cost of security.

In a totally cooperative society, security is a common burden. Individual security may still be needed but it tends to be pro forma. The lock on most houses aren't good for much more than show. The real security comes from the fact that someone caught defeating your lock will face stiffer penalties from whatever cooperative security exists. Likewise, the amount of food, money, etc. most people have saved will barely last from the time they lose their job until the cooperative unemployment benefits kick in. There is still an individual burden, but it is quite low.

In anarchy, the individual security burden increases. If you can't tell (by passing laws) your neighbors not to wander through your house taking whatever valuables they find, you must prevent your neighbors from wandering though, and that means better locks, stronger walls, maybe not having windows on the first floor, having a wall around your property, and so on.

If we're talking about a post-scarcity society where individuals have robot overlor...err...minions and a share of near infinite asteroid-mined wealth, anarchy sounds great. Until that time anarchy will always mean your personal security is either more expensive or less comprehensive. That's a hard sell.

whitebear is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Him View Post

In a totally cooperative society, security is a common burden. Individual security may still be needed but it tends to be pro forma. The lock on most houses aren't good for much more than show. The real security comes from the fact that someone caught defeating your lock will face stiffer penalties from whatever cooperative security exists. Likewise, the amount of food, money, etc. most people have saved will barely last from the time they lose their job until the cooperative unemployment benefits kick in. There is still an individual burden, but it is quite low.

In anarchy, the individual security burden increases. If you can't tell (by passing laws) your neighbors not to wander through your house taking whatever valuables they find, you must prevent your neighbors from wandering though, and that means better locks, stronger walls, maybe not having windows on the first floor, having a wall around your property, and so on.

If we're talking about a post-scarcity society where individuals have robot overlor...err...minions and a share of near infinite asteroid-mined wealth, anarchy sounds great. Until that time anarchy will always mean your personal security is either more expensive or less comprehensive. That's a hard sell.
    The way it is now we need security from our neighbors and from the collective or common. I know how nasty things would get if we all of a sudden had anarchy and honestly I'm not really prepared for that but I would gladly die protecting my own than continue life as blindfolded livestock. Die on your feet or live on your knees. I'm sick of living on my knees and I think a lot of other folks around the world are feeling this as well.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

right now the security that you are talking about, (someone respecting the lock on my door) is rather expensive, because they "respect" this lock because of fear of the police.

Now the police station is about half a mile from my front door, and there, daily, meet and rally a dozen or so heavily armed men that I do not know, who maintain in writing and in public ritual in front of children a right to kill me in the street with impunity. Their people go through courts proclaiming that if I raise my hand to defend myself from them beating me, then I am guilty of assaulting the king's guard. They literally murder people without charge. And I have to consider these men and their movements when I leave my home.

That's way too expensive. I don't have anything that anyone might want to kill me to get- if they want to kick my door in and rob my shit, go for it. Probably my neighbors will see if I am not home, and I will find a trail.

Being responsible for your security is a good thing that people get excited to be a part of. Lacking a feeling of responsibility for your safety leads to psychological problems, because you are neglecting an important dimension of human psychology to the determinent of the health of the whole being. Are you trying to tell me that men would generally NOT want to be involved in posse justice and neighborhood militia shit? I know few men who would not get a semi just hearing those words.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast