Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Has becoming primal/paleo ruined your life? page 11

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    And that "argument" is based on some definition of "expert" I don't share. Shelby Foote's an expert on the Civil War despite the fact that all he did was study it incessesantly. I mean, I think that'd be enough. But I think debating definitions is getting boring.
    It isn't about the definition.

Think about it like this... I've studied music since I was 6 or 7. I've had musical instruments as long as I can remember, I've taken university level classes on music theory. I can talk fermata and glissandi and harmonic minor scales ... but put me on a stage in front of an audience with my best instrument and you'll quickly see that I'm not a music expert, despite decades and many many hours of practice. It isn't a definition, it's a performance test.

Likewise, no matter how Shelby studied, if he try to start a civil war and couldn't he would not be an expert on civil war. It isn't a definition, it's a performance test.

Karl tried to start a business - tried to be a capitalist. He failed. Therefore he isn't an expert on capitalism. That's not due to my definition, it's due to his demonstrated lack of performance.

Because I didn't follow you down your path, accepting your definition of terms, I'm labelled "illogical" and "anti-intellectual". You were actually pretty quick to jump on that high horse.
    No.

I pointed out the lack of logic when, as a response to this, "A must B. C did not B. Therefore, C is not A", you characterized that as, "Your argument is that A cannot D." That's a totally illogical leap, and it was yours. I even tried to correct your error in gentler terms before resorting to the direct observation that you aren't being logical. When you cannot see that you are misusing logic, or are not being logical at all, I must assume that you are ignorant of logic.

As for anti-intellectual, I only mentioned that when, rather than respond to the logic or content of my statements, you began attacking my intellectualism in a demeaning way. "You write long posts," "you think you are some kind of genius", etc. The fact that those attacks seemed reasonable to you indicates that you are prejudiced against intellectuals, just as use of racial epithets indicate that the user is prejudiced against other races.

I didn't leap on any horse. I read and responded to your posts.
    Last edited by Him; 02-07-2013 at 05:11 PM.

Rojo is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Him View Post
    The fact that those attacks seemed reasonable to you indicates that you are prejudiced against intellectuals.
    My attacks of you mean I'm an anti-intellectual? Ummmm, no.

Gooooood luck with all that.

Him
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    My attacks of you mean I'm an anti-intellectual? Ummmm, no.
    Ummmm, yes. The nature of your attack indicates your prejudice, just as the nature of Michael Richards' response to comedy club heckling revealed his. You don't need to admit it for the truth to be obvious.

whitebear is offline Senior Member
    Ummmm, yes. The nature of your attack indicates your prejudice, just as the nature of Michael Richards' response to comedy club heckling revealed his. You don't need to admit it for the truth to be obvious.
    Here is what I see after following this for a while. You are very good at twisting the truth as well as other peoples words, yet for all your intricacies and explanations you are sort of transparent. Not to mention you're using lots of words to say very little. Like Mr.Perfidy said, fuck dead people. Rojo gets straight to the point and makes a bit more sense. That's how I see it from the bleachers. Guha guha, just sayin.

Him
    Shrug. I have been trying to be transparent. I don't think truth twists though...a statement is true or not true. A are B, C are A, therefore C are B is true. A are B, C are B, therefore C are A is not true. As for lots of words, yeah, you'd think I'm used to being paid by the word or something. Styles differ.

I don't think truth twists
    Sure it dose. That's what lawyers get paid to do.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Shrug. I have been trying to be transparent. I don't think truth twists though...a statement is true or not true. A are B, C are A, therefore C are B is true. A are B, C are B, therefore C are A is not true. As for lots of words, yeah, you'd think I'm used to being paid by the word or something. Styles differ.
    How long have you been beating your wife?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Him
    Quote Originally Posted by whitebear View Post
    Sure it dose. That's what lawyers get paid to do.
    Hah... But lawyers really don't deal in truth. They deal in observations and plausible scenarios. "We observed this in the evidence, and it is plausible that such-and-such explains what we observed...."

There are facts (observable), truths (provable), and opinions (like assholes). It doesn't make sense to call something a truth unless it can be proved, any more than to call an opinion fact.

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    How long have you been beating your wife?
    Is that some sort of NZ masturbation slang?

P.s. it's usually "have you stopped beating your wife?" AKA a loaded question. The "stopped" form is preferred because if they say they haven't, it implies they still beat their wife.

Of course it helps if the person you use that on has ever been married.

Of course it helps if the person you use that on has ever been married.
    Surprise,surprise

Him
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Most people are, actually. I don't know why.
    Last edited by Him; 02-07-2013 at 08:58 PM.

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast