Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Favorite Kitchen Tools? page 5

norprowebstore is offline Junior Member
    Here is the list. I must need these kitchen tools in my kitchen.
    1. All sizes and meshes of strainers
    2. Panini/griddle press
    3. Stainless steel mixing bowls with lids for leftovers
    4. A good knife, tongs and soup ladle
    5. Multiple cutting boards

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    These lists are great!

I've been on the fence about a mandoline. I was wondering - you know the blade that comes with a food processor that slices veggies? Is that a good replacement for a mandoline, or do those of you who use mandolines find the adjustability of the slices make the mandoline better?
    The mandolin works better. Since I started slicing my cabbage with a mandolin my sauerkraut has gotten a lot tastier. And the 1/8 inch setting produces a tastier kraut than even one setting higher, so with things like sauerkraut at least, that versatility is crucial.

Only negative with the mandolin is how dangerous it is. I cut my hand pretty bad once before I wised up and got a pair of those mandolin gloves.
    My Recipes are at: www.southbeachprimal.com

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthBeachPrimal View Post
    The mandolin works better. Since I started slicing my cabbage with a mandolin my sauerkraut has gotten a lot tastier. And the 1/8 inch setting produces a tastier kraut than even one setting higher, so with things like sauerkraut at least, that versatility is crucial.

Only negative with the mandolin is how dangerous it is. I cut my hand pretty bad once before I wised up and got a pair of those mandolin gloves.
    Thanks! So many kitchen toys; so little time.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

BarbaraEllis is offline Junior Member
    I have lots kitchen tools and my favorite is chopstick. Most non-Asian cooks aren't aware that chopsticks are more than just an eating utensil. They also make great cooking tools. In fact, there are special cooking chopsticks that are a little longer and sometimes joined at the end with a string for just that purpose.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Some of the kitchenware additions I find most useful are having multiple sets of things, instead of just one. For example, I have 2 sets of pots and pans, 3 apple slicers, multiple cheap aluminum colanders, multiple pairs of kitchen shears. I often cook a lot of stuff at once, and I really hate running out of pans or having to stop and wash things.

As for individual useful items, some of my favorites are:

* Apple peeler. Seemed kind of gimmicky when I bought it, but it peels apples crazy fast and with minimal effort. You stick an apple on a spike and turn a handle, which turns the spike. This pushes the apple gentle against a blade which cuts the peel off in one continuous spiral. Combine it with an apple corer/slicer, and you can have enough peeled, sliced apples for a pie in 5 minutes.

* "Come Apart" kitchen shears. They look like traditional poultry shears, but the two halves come apart and you can put them in the dishwasher so you don't have germs still hiding between the blades after you wash them. (What can I say? Grandma taught college biology and I was raised germophobic.)

* A quality food processor. It doesn't have to do a lot of fancy things or have multiple attachments, just a really good motor and be easy to use.

* Some big stock pots

* Stove with a "power burner" that accomodates big stock pots

* Egg wedger

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345