Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aaaaaaaaaaaargh, do they have to put sugar in everything??? page

pguidry is offline Junior Member

Aaaaaaaaaaaargh, do they have to put sugar in everything???

Primal Fuel
    Last night I went by Fresh Market and Trader Joe's looking for ingredients for this weekend.

I've been eating some smoked salmon (wild) and checked the Nova salmon... sugar

Then I looked at 3 different brands of dried blueberries to make the Primal Energy Bars - all had sugar or sucrose added.

While at Trader's, they had buffalo chicken meatball samples... sugar in that too. OK, not so surprised about that one but the dried blueberries??? Give me a break. It probably won't kill me but I've only been at it ~3 weeks and don't want to cut corners yet. I really want to make those bars!

Adding another to my list: Chipolte Tabasco - this is what i like to make Guacamole Devils. At least I can use a hot sauce w/ no sugar and add chipolte chili powder.
    Last edited by pguidry; 02-03-2013 at 05:35 AM.

sarahelyse is offline Member
    Hmmm.... maybe try drying your own blue berries? I've never done it myself, but I've heard of people drying their own fruit.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    How to Make Dried Fruit | Mark's Daily Apple

Let us know how it goes if you try drying 'em yourself. Good luck to you!

Paleobird Guest
    Check your spices too. I found sugar lurking in my garlic salt. Really? Garlic salt should have two pretty obvious ingredients, right? But no, some brands feel the need to tickle your sweet taste receptors. Sneaky SOBs.

pguidry is offline Junior Member
    Garlic salt too? Jeez. I found it in Morton's Season Salt which I used to put on fried eggs. Now I just use onion powder, garlic powder, turmeric, salt, and pepper. I wonder if I need to check my garlic powder and onion powder?

Stephanie is offline Member
    Yes sugar is in everything! Sucks!

I do a lot of my shopping online, through places like amazon where you can find real foods like dried berries with no sugar added. Yes more expensive, but with out your health you have nothing...so worth the price, imo.

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    Recently I was perusing the weekly catalogue from a local supermarket and saw that they had steaks for an advantageous price, so I set my mind on steak for dinner. But lo, what did I find? The steaks had a 'neutral marinade', which basically means they've been pumped with salt, sugar and water. I put it back, and did not have steak for dinner

It has sadly become the norm for chicken, but this was the first time I've seen it in beef.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I complain to Trader Joe's regularly about the fact that they only sell leg of lamb in a marinade. Can you not just sell the damn meat without a bunch of shit on it?

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    I am not impressed at all with Trader Joe's ... am I the only one? I hadnt been to one in probably a decade but went to a new one today. They are great with their prepackaged snacky foods...and those seem to take center stage...even the GF selections were sorely lacking.
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

sarahelyse is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    I am not impressed at all with Trader Joe's ... am I the only one?
    You're not alone. I didn't see anything that I actually wanted that I couldn't get from a regular grocery store. They seem to be aimed more toward vegetarians? That was my impression, anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast