Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aaaaaaaaaaaargh, do they have to put sugar in everything??? page 3

PBNewby is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    We buy blueberries at Costco (Item #461566). They are certified Organic, and although the label says "Ingredients: Organic Blueberries." the nutrition facts say 13g sugars per 140g serving of blueberries.

Does that mean the sugar is in there naturally?

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PBNewby View Post
    We buy blueberries at Costco (Item #461566). They are certified Organic, and although the label says "Ingredients: Organic Blueberries." the nutrition facts say 13g sugars per 140g serving of blueberries.

Does that mean the sugar is in there naturally?
    It's the natural fructose in the fruit, yes. But dried fruit is loaded with more ugar than the whole fruit because it is dehydrated and the sugar is concentrated in a higher quantity in less mass.

100 grams of plump, ripe, blueberries is less caloric dense than 100 grams of dried blueberries because it takes more dried blueberries than regular ones to make up 100 grams of space.

PBNewby is offline Senior Member
    Ok. And the sugar being talked about by others in this thread, that's added sugar they are talking about. Is that right?
    Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
    Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

"I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
    "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
    "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
    "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PBNewby View Post
    Ok. And the sugar being talked about by others in this thread, that's added sugar they are talking about. Is that right?
    Right. It's about sugar in the list of ingredients of the processed food. Fresh from the garden or the animal seems to be the only thng safe from having sugar added to it.

caitijayne is offline Junior Member
    We were out of sea salt so I dug out this box of Iodized conventional Table Salt sitting in the back of our cupboard (been there unused for a year). It actually had six different ingredients, the 2nd one being sugar. The others were strange chemicals.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Check your spices too. I found sugar lurking in my garlic salt.
    I almost bought "Pure Ground Pepper" that wasn't pepper at all. Sugar was on the ingredient list before pepper.

Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    I am not impressed at all with Trader Joe's ... am I the only one?
    No, you're not the only one. I get their canned and frozen salmon, canned chicken, fresh lamb, 2-buck Chuck, raw almonds and almond butter. Nothing else.

My boyfriend loves Trader Joe's. We were camping this weekend and he dug out a pack of Wild Salmon Jerky. It didn't taste like salmon at all. It tasted like maple syrup. Four of the ingredients were sugar or maple syrup. I understand a little sugar is used for curing, but this was ridiculous. You can make jerky with no sugar whatsoever or with much less and come out with something that tastes much better. I hate the way Americans need their food to taste like candy baby food.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Even many packet versions of stevia have "dextrose" or "maltodextrin" as bulking agents because stevia needs it to "dissolve well" in liquids.

Stick to packet versions bulked with inulin fiber or go for the extract.
    Last edited by Drumroll; 02-04-2013 at 04:07 PM.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pguidry View Post
    Last night I went by Fresh Market and Trader Joe's looking for ingredients for this weekend.

I've been eating some smoked salmon (wild) and checked the Nova salmon... sugar

Then I looked at 3 different brands of dried blueberries to make the Primal Energy Bars - all had sugar or sucrose added.

While at Trader's, they had buffalo chicken meatball samples... sugar in that too. OK, not so surprised about that one but the dried blueberries??? Give me a break. It probably won't kill me but I've only been at it ~3 weeks and don't want to cut corners yet. I really want to make those bars!

Adding another to my list: Chipolte Tabasco - this is what i like to make Guacamole Devils. At least I can use a hot sauce w/ no sugar and add chipolte chili powder.

Just a quick tip: I have purchased the dried blueberries that are coated in extra sugar - I rinse them off really well in a colander under running water. Just dry them off on a towel and because they are fairly hard to begin with they can tolerate a good rinse.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123