Thread: Losing fat / gaining muscle for the nearly 50 crowd page

TwinkiesnKetchup is offline Junior Member

Losing fat / gaining muscle for the nearly 50 crowd

Primal Fuel
    I've been an athlete my entire life, not to the extent Mark was/is but none the less I played college basket ball and have been a regular jogger (60 miles a week before 40/20 miles a week since) I am 48 years old.

That "lovely change in life" began for me in my 30's, with fun things like hormone induced panic attacks, night sweats etc. My doctor put me on paxil which controlled it, but being on paxil was worse than the panic attacks, getting off paxil was just plain awful.

Anyway, I've been off paxil for 4 years. I still have an occasional panic attack but nothing too awful. I went to many doctors, finally found a natural path who put me on (10/12) bio-identical hormone therapy. I now take a thyroid supplement along with progesterone and testosterone. I won't be able to get back into see my doctor until May due to family issues.

I'm 6' and weigh 162 pounds (my ideal weight has always been about 165). As mentioned I run about 20 miles a week. I kicked up my exercise to include High Intensity Interval Training (I so a rotation of exercises which I switch up daily) I've done this for about 6 weeks now. I have firmed a little but have not lost any inches. Anyway, I was an Adkins dieter from 1985 until about a year ago when I found Mark's Primal BluePrint. I am religious with my diet.

I started gaining fat about two years ago and have not been able to lose it. My stomach carries around about 4" of fat, I have fat pockets on each of my thighs and my arms which always have been lean and shapely have begun to droop some and I have about a 1/4" of fat on each arm.

I hate it!! I want my muscular body back. I don't have a problem growing old gracefully but I didn't plan on waking up looking like my grandmother over night either.

I'm open for suggestions.

fuzzylogic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkiesnKetchup View Post
    I've been an athlete my entire life, not to the extent Mark was/is but none the less I played college basket ball and have been a regular jogger (60 miles a week before 40/20 miles a week since) I am 48 years old.

That "lovely change in life" began for me in my 30's, with fun things like hormone induced panic attacks, night sweats etc. My doctor put me on paxil which controlled it, but being on paxil was worse than the panic attacks, getting off paxil was just plain awful.

Anyway, I've been off paxil for 4 years. I still have an occasional panic attack but nothing too awful. I went to many doctors, finally found a natural path who put me on (10/12) bio-identical hormone therapy. I now take a thyroid supplement along with progesterone and testosterone. I won't be able to get back into see my doctor until May due to family issues.

I'm 6' and weigh 162 pounds (my ideal weight has always been about 165). As mentioned I run about 20 miles a week. I kicked up my exercise to include High Intensity Interval Training (I so a rotation of exercises which I switch up daily) I've done this for about 6 weeks now. I have firmed a little but have not lost any inches. Anyway, I was an Adkins dieter from 1985 until about a year ago when I found Mark's Primal BluePrint. I am religious with my diet.

I started gaining fat about two years ago and have not been able to lose it. My stomach carries around about 4" of fat, I have fat pockets on each of my thighs and my arms which always have been lean and shapely have begun to droop some and I have about a 1/4" of fat on each arm.

I hate it!! I want my muscular body back. I don't have a problem growing old gracefully but I didn't plan on waking up looking like my grandmother over night either.

I'm open for suggestions.

Lift. Lift some more. Repeat.

I'm 51 and so NOT athletic. I started this last year. Today I did 8 dead hang pull-ups and have nice pretty muscular arms---even if my shirts are all too tight in the arms.

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    You shouldn't have any trouble putting on muscle, especially if the doctor has you on hormone therapy. Start lifting some heavy weights as hard as you can twice per week.

20 miles running per week should be your limit.

BTW, why do you need hormone therapy? Could too much running have worn you out? I hope I never need that.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    lift weights...body weight exercises or join crossfit
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

dml
    dml is offline Senior Member
    I think that running very long distances for 20+ years was quite possibly related to my very low testosterone levels.

I've now (at age 51) been taking supplemental testosterone for almost a year. I do CrossFit. I don't run any more except for sprints. I hike, I snowshoe a bit, I ski quite a bit in the winter, I ride a road bike in the summer, and I do some lifting on my own. I spend a lot of time wading in streams, chasing trout with my fly rod.

My weight hasn't really changed since I added the testosterone, but my my body comp has certainly changed. My shoulders and biceps outgrew most of my shirts. Lots of squat work has resulted in some positive changes below the waist - more muscle in my thighs and less fat on my butt.

A study released last year (done in the UK, I believe) showed that men who started taking supplemental T lost 35 pounds, on average, but over a 5 year period. It wasn't instantaneous.

If you have adequate testosterone levels, I think things will work out, but it might not be instantaneous. Play around with your diet if needed. Maybe you eat dairy and your body doesn't really like dairy. Maybe you're eating too much protein and not enough fat. Maybe you are one of those people who needs to be careful with fruit.

Just some thoughts, but also, you are fairly new to the meds and some things may still be getting sorted out.

Good luck.

Predatory is offline Junior Member
    I lift 3 times a week which I split into Legs (squats), Chest (press, weighted dips) and Back (dead lifts, rows). I also add shoulder presses to one of the workouts randomly but I always lift heavy in the 4-8 rep range. I sprint once a week, 5-6 30 seconds sprints and I do one or two easy "runs" that are always less that 40 minutes but at least 30 minutes.

I use to run as much if not more than you as well as lifting but it was way to much wear on my body, I will be 50 this year. I look and feel much better with this schedule and many people have also commented on how much better I look since reducing all that running.

Lift Heavy and Run less

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Are you a man or a woman? I'm a woman. The lovely changes in my 40s have been oh-so unwelcome. Not that I was ever beautiful and thin before then.

I'm currently strength training. It's tough because if your focus is strength it's not very good to try to lose weight at the same time. It's kind of a challenge to eat enough to recover yet not too much to get fat.

The changes in my body have been very positive yet largely invisible to the outside world. People try to reassure me that it takes years to really make a big difference in musculature. It's my hope that once I feel strong enough (does that ever happen???) I can try the high impact stuff. Maybe that'll help me be thinner. If not, feeling really strong is kinda awesome enough not to care about a few unwanted pockets of flab. My upper arms don't flap around like they used to.

If you really want strength, you have to squat, press and deadlift with barbells. The other crap doesn't work very well. I tried it and the progress was too slow.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2