Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close

Thread: Distance running and fat adaptation

Hybrid View

Distance running and fat adaptation

So I'm starting a journey toward kerosine, or fat adaptation. I've been there before, feel great when I'm there, but never have done much distance running while in ketosis. Normally, I eat a higher carb count when I'm training. So, I should expect to feel like crap, right? For 3 or so weeks? I'm going to try to continue running some just to maintain a little bit of fitness, but I realize I might not be able to log long miles or run fast on workout days.

I'm doing this because I want to run long and strong and feel good. Also need to drop 10 or so pounds and when I eat higher carb and run I get hungry hungry hungry and don't lean out.

So that's my plan. Any insight or advice is much appreciated!

Watch your electrolytes - broth ~30 minutes before the workout and some extra water just before running helps many.

Quote Originally Posted by Annlee View Post
    Watch your electrolytes - broth ~30 minutes before the workout and some extra water just before running helps many.
    This is a very good advise when working out low on carbs...

Barneveld, NY
    Actually, you may not feel like crap.

For me, distance running has only felt better during my lower carb phases. I suppose I'm "fat adapted", since my carbs rarely go over 150g/day (and are sometimes far less). Today being Sunday I'll be going for my weekly long run in a couple hours. It'll be about 10 miles today at a roughly 8 min/mile pace. I haven't eaten since last night (scrambled eggs for dinner), and won't eat until after my run. This is pretty much my routine every Sunday -- a fasted long run, and it always feels great.

I don't particularly remember my transition from being a typical high carb athlete to being primal, but I don't recall my ability to run distance being negatively affected at any point.

It's possible that distance kayaking won't translate over to running, but I doubt it for this. If you don't have one, get a heart rate monitor and run by it. Figure out what 60-65% of your maximum heart rate is and keep it in that range for the first 3-4 weeks. I do most of my racing in that range, too, but that's more of a personal choice that keeps me in fat burning mode during ultras (300+ miles for some). Train that way for a few weeks and your body will figure out its fuel-of-choice.

Rural New England
    Here's a web site with some info from some low carb runners:

When I first went primal and started eating less than 100 g of carbs per day, running became very hard for a long time. I've been told that it takes about 3 or 4 weeks to become adapted if you're consistently low carb that entire time. Because I wasn't 100% consistent with my diet, it took months for me to adapt. But now I can run in ketosis (although I'm not sure if I can run 10 miles in ketosis--when not training for a race, my long runs are usually about 7 miles only).

I was also in the last 3 or 4 weeks of training for a 10-miler when I first went primal. Training became hell, HELL, but I pushed through it anyway. Carbed up for the race, and it was a breeze!

Consuming electrolytes is a good idea. I wish someone had given that advice when I was trying to become adapted.