Thread: Small Meals a day disproval (Leangains) page

drnemer is offline Member

Small Meals a day disproval (Leangains)

Shop Now
    My pre-med friend and I are gym partners. we go work out twice a week at the weight room. Today he questioned the logic behind my LeanGains type diet. I want to show him some major studies that will disprove the following:

- 5-6 small meals are better a day

- large meals are harmful to the digestion health

- that consuming bulk of daily calories in two meals a day or in a eight hour window is healthy or at least safe with some benefits

- anything having to do with leangains

I know there are studies and articles galore on the web. But I was wondering if anyone can link me to some studies or articles that back me up. I wish I can explain it myself, but I am not good with words and I don't really want to misrepresent my nutritional knowledge by incorrectly stating something. I rather not be a link to Mark's site because that would not sway my friend who thinks I read to much "diet fad articles".

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    I don't know much about leangains. Here are a couple posts of mine but they really just summarize Mark.

Ancestral Health Info - More on Fasting to Prevent Liver Damage, Obesity, Diabetes, Etc.

Ancestral Health Info - Fasting for Primal, Paleo, Ancestral Health
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

peril is online now Senior Member
    The Bath Breakfast Project is sort of looking at this - Bath Breakfast Project (BBP)--examining the role of e... [Trials. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drnemer View Post
    My pre-med friend and I are gym partners. we go work out twice a week at the weight room. Today he questioned the logic behind my LeanGains type diet. I want to show him some major studies that will disprove the following:

- 5-6 small meals are better a day

- large meals are harmful to the digestion health

- that consuming bulk of daily calories in two meals a day or in a eight hour window is healthy or at least safe with some benefits

- anything having to do with leangains

I know there are studies and articles galore on the web. But I was wondering if anyone can link me to some studies or articles that back me up. I wish I can explain it myself, but I am not good with words and I don't really want to misrepresent my nutritional knowledge by incorrectly stating something. I rather not be a link to Mark's site because that would not sway my friend who thinks I read to much "diet fad articles".
    Great -- another pre-med who already knows it all and lacks the initiative to do his own research, based on the knowledge of a good friend. Just wait 'til he's wearing his white lab coat, and responsible for the welfare of patients. Geez.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    Great -- another pre-med who already knows it all and lacks the initiative to do his own research, based on the knowledge of a good friend. Just wait 'til he's wearing his white lab coat, and responsible for the welfare of patients. Geez.
    Yeah, really.

OP, I would turn it back on him. Tell him your strategy is working well, you feel great and don't see what the big deal is. If he wants to lecture you, then he needs to come up with the evidence (actual published research) that Lean Gains is bad for you.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    Yeah, really.

OP, I would turn it back on him. Tell him your strategy is working well, you feel great and don't see what the big deal is. If he wants to lecture you, then he needs to come up with the evidence (actual published research) that Lean Gains is bad for you.
    LauraSB: Totally agree with you. I no longer spend my time searching for articles and research to convince others that what I'm doing works. I place the burden back onto others -- have them do their own research, if they are really interested. Most people are not that interested, and so be it. There's nothing more powerful than demonstration by results. No words need to be said. Just demonstrate results and shut up. Those are are dialed into you as a friend or family member will come to you with questions, if they are so inclined. And if not -- hey -- it's a free world and everyone is free to choose lifestyle as they wish. As an aside today -- my hubster has started to notice my leaner and more defined body. I keep it covered by purpose because he's not really supportive of my crossfitting and paleo eating. So, I keep my mouth shut, wear some bulky sweatshirts and I'll give it another few months (just in time for summer and my bikinis) /lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

drnemer is offline Member
    It is not that he is not supportive or critical. It is just I want to teach him about what I know because he is my workout buddy. I just need a better way to convince him