Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Instant mashed potatoes as filler in meatloaf page 2

cheffy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by neowild View Post
    I've never used tapioca powder--or even pearls--but that sounds awesome. Cassava is one of my favorite carb sources; its carb texture is absolutely amazing, especially in stews.
    It makes an awesome cheese "bread" too!

Easy Brazilian Cheese Bread (Pćo de Queijo) Recipe | Simply Recipes

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    I don't find the need for a filler in my meatloaf. Ground beef, ground prok, onion, and some spices.

Rosegin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    I don't find the need for a filler in my meatloaf. Ground beef, ground prok, onion, and some spices.
    Yeah, that. Meat loaf traditionally had filler to stretch the meat, not because it was necessary.
    ~Sandy

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosegin View Post
    Yeah, that. Meat loaf traditionally had filler to stretch the meat, not because it was necessary.
    Not about stretching but to create that "bready" texture my mom's had . . . without the bread.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Begs the question as a Whole Food preparer: Why would I purchase 'flakes' from a company, that comes in a box with a bar code and add that to my perfectly good, grass feed meatloaf? What exactly is in that box? Can anyone confirm or deny the contents of that box? Why eat something as fake as dried potato dust?
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

aktres is offline Senior Member
    I use grated parmesan and chopped mushrooms.

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    Begs the question as a Whole Food preparer: Why would I purchase 'flakes' from a company, that comes in a box with a bar code and add that to my perfectly good, grass feed meatloaf? What exactly is in that box? Can anyone confirm or deny the contents of that box? Why eat something as fake as dried potato dust?
    Promise not to add the bar code or box to the meatloaf. My meatloaf being humble since I can't afford grass fed, I have no idea whether the "dried potato dust" was made from fake or genuine potatoes. Elsewhere in this thread I give sufficient reason why I need to take shortcuts. If I could boil some potatoes, I would.
    Last edited by Rosemary 231; 02-03-2013 at 01:28 PM.

curlygirl is offline Senior Member
    I've used it as "filler" for my meatza crusts. Helps shrinkage and in our case, you couldn't really taste it. Much cheaper than almond flour. I only need about 2 TBL's per pound if I use it
    My blog: Paleo Musings
    Tweeting all things primal: Twitter
    FaceBook: PaleoMusings

We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    I use potato flour as my thickener for anything needing thickening - most of those dishes use potatoes anyway so it seems like a natural fit. I also use it to thicken meat gravies - I brown ground beef and onions in beef tallow, then sprinkle a few tablespoons of potato flour and blend well, then add hot bone broth and bring to a boil on high heat. Let it bubble for a bit to thicken, then add cream to finish it. Don't see why that wouldn't work for meatloaf. I'm not a fan of potato flakes and a bag of Bob Mills potato flour lasts a long time so the cost doesn't concern me much.
    Last edited by Zanna; 02-02-2013 at 06:59 PM.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    what's the difference between potato flour and potato flakes? they're both dehydrated and processed
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast