Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: recomp, convict conditioning or big compound lifts? page

  1. #1
    OneDeltaTenTango's Avatar
    OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    930

    recomp, convict conditioning or big compound lifts?

    Primal Fuel
    Goals are to lose a bit of fat, go from about 13% to 10% BF. I am not too concerned with adding strength or bulk at this point. I have been generally following a leangains 16/8 window, eating clean, not paying much attention to calories (though generally at or below maintenence when I have entered into paleotrack), recently adding a bit more starch.

    My strength work has been exclusively bodyweight, and following the convict conditioning progressions for the last 3-4 months. I am progressing well on some, least progress on pullups. Trying in the last few weeks to limit alcohol consumption from nightly wine (2-4 glasses) to 1-2 glasses on weekends.

    I feel like my efforts are not getting me to the last 5 pounds/10% goal.

    Most of the "get ripped" sites stress daily IF, calorie cycling, and lifting heavy/big 3 or 5 compound lifts 2-3 x per week.

    Where do folks think the best bang for the buck is given the context? get more strict about calorie cycling? Shift from CC to big lifts?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Wanderlust's Avatar
    Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    808
    Big lifts. No one has ever said, "gee I wish I wasn't so strong."
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

  3. #3
    OneDeltaTenTango's Avatar
    OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    930
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    Big lifts. No one has ever said, "gee I wish I wasn't so strong."
    Thanks Wanderlust. So from your perspective, there is a qualitative difference between bodyweight exercises and big lifts that would likely have a significant translation into body recomposition (all other things being equal)?

    (Note, not trying to push back, rather, trying to determine the relative value, given that this would involve gym membership and some initial coaching costs to make sure I was getting going with good form.)

  4. #4
    Wanderlust's Avatar
    Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    808
    Well it seems like you've been doing body weight, and not getting the results you want (yet).

    True there is an added cost to lifting, hopefully it will be offset by better results. I am biased though, I think everyone should lift. It's just a lot more fun.

    Regarding coaching, buy starting strength, watch a ton of youtube videos, etc. you can teach yourself the basic lifts, it's not that complicated (unlike Oly lifts).
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

  5. #5
    Wanderlust's Avatar
    Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    808
    Better yet find a buddy to workout with who knows what they are doing.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

  6. #6
    Louisa655's Avatar
    Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    795
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    Goals are to lose a bit of fat, go from about 13% to 10% BF. I am not too concerned with adding strength or bulk at this point. I have been generally following a leangains 16/8 window, eating clean, not paying much attention to calories (though generally at or below maintenence when I have entered into paleotrack), recently adding a bit more starch.

    My strength work has been exclusively bodyweight, and following the convict conditioning progressions for the last 3-4 months. I am progressing well on some, least progress on pullups. Trying in the last few weeks to limit alcohol consumption from nightly wine (2-4 glasses) to 1-2 glasses on weekends.

    I feel like my efforts are not getting me to the last 5 pounds/10% goal.

    Most of the "get ripped" sites stress daily IF, calorie cycling, and lifting heavy/big 3 or 5 compound lifts 2-3 x per week.

    Where do folks think the best bang for the buck is given the context? get more strict about calorie cycling? Shift from CC to big lifts?

    Thanks.
    You might want to check out Martin at LeanGains. He's got some good information. Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

    Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

  7. #7
    OneDeltaTenTango's Avatar
    OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    930
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    Well it seems like you've been doing body weight, and not getting the results you want (yet).

    True there is an added cost to lifting, hopefully it will be offset by better results. I am biased though, I think everyone should lift. It's just a lot more fun.

    Regarding coaching, buy starting strength, watch a ton of youtube videos, etc. you can teach yourself the basic lifts, it's not that complicated (unlike Oly lifts).
    Actually, not getting bad results in strength; progressions moving along reasonably well for most things. Just no significant changes in composition. No lifting experience so I don't know what I am missing. I have SS on kindle, need to find time to watch the videos. I do think there is value in having someone who knows what they are doing (buddy or trainer) help with form as it is sometimes hard to see yourself.

    Louisa, thanks. I agree, lots of good material there. I am having trouble generating enthusiasm for careful tracking of macros and calories, which may be required if I really want to tweak away the last few %.

    thanks for the replies.

  8. #8
    jfreaksho's Avatar
    jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,964
    CC is a really really slow program. It works great, but slowly, and I'm not convinced it will stimulate the same hormonal responses as lifting heavy weights, walking, and sprinting.

    I love CC, and it's worked great for me, but it's a really slow program. I feel like it's all that I need, but when I got free access to a gym I started lifting and I really enjoy it. I don't think I'd pay very much for a gym membership, but I'm getting good results from it. If I ever don't have free gym access, I'd probably go back and really focus on CC, and maybe Building the Gymnastic Body.

  9. #9
    OneDeltaTenTango's Avatar
    OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    930
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks jfreaksho. Your advice is always helpful. I might make a run at lifting. There is a good gym, a bit inconvenient in terms of location, but with a good focus on barbell lifting and strength, and they have a punchcard system you can use rather than committing to a longer membership. I might give it a run. Oh yeah, and remind myself that hill repeats are helpful even if everything is covered in snow and ice.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •