Thread: Passata page

Lilith is offline Member

Passata

Shop Now
    Hi all,

I didn't think this fit in with nutrition or under recipes so have posted here

I used to use tomato passta in my bolognese and then I looked at the carton and saw that it was made up of carbs, mostly from sugars

I didn't realise this until I'd taken a portion of bolognese to work for lunch and it gave me really bad indegestion

Does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement? I know I could use 'real' tomatoes, but (and I know this may sound weird to some people!) I cannot stand the texture of them in my mouth and it makes me feel ill to even try eating them. I have even used chopped tomatoes in the bolognese before but even the smaller chunks make me feel ill (yep I am weird I know!).

So if anyone has any suggestions for something similar to passata, but without the junk in it, that would be great

Thanks
    Lilith

'Be yourself, everyone else is taken' - Oscar Wilde

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    My wife is the same about tomatoes- she won't eat any kind of tomato sauce if there are "tomato chunks" in it or those peels of skin. It doesn't seem to bother her that the sauce IS tomato, as long as there is no tomato piece texture...

you should just dice tomatoes then throw a piece of wax paper on them and rolling pin that shit til it's like a jelly with no chunks.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Lilith is offline Member
    Lol, love that - will be a good form of stress-relief too

Think that might be the only way.

I am the same with other fruit - in fact I eat no fruit at all because I cannot stand the texture. I can't even drink orange juice with bits in because they make me feel queasy. Give me a smoothie and I am fine - but no bits!

I'll eat veggies until the cows come home, which is probably just as well.
    Lilith

Greenbeast is online now Senior Member
    can't you super blend chopped tomatoes up before using them?

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    It's really cheap and easy to get canned tomato purees or pastes (organic and no added sugar) if you don't want to take the time to puree them yourself. That's what I do. :3

Lilith is offline Member
    Thanks all
    Lilith

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Tomato paste. No chunks. Very concentrated.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite