Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scarcity and Contempt page

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member

Scarcity and Contempt

Shop Now
    So I am 31, and still very clearly remember some images and feelings from early childhood- mostly the traumatic or triumphant ones, but this particular series disturbs and fascinates me more than any others.

I must have been in 3rd grade (sparing you boring mile-stone marker rationalizations for this conclusion). My mother baby-sat for a family down the street, 3 kids all younger than me, plus our family at the time had 4 kids.

The family was like the poorest I had ever known up to that point. I don't understand like, if there wasn't available welfare assistance in 1988 or thereabout when this occured, but everyone in the family was like Holocaust ribbed; big, sunken eyes and bony cheek-ridges, wiry, bone-popping torsoes and shit. They were freaky looking.

I remember hating the kids so much. But when I think back and picture their faces, they are often kind and smiling or welcoming and calm, and I have no memory of them ever doing anything mean to me or my family. But, I do distinctly remember my mother giving them roast beef and me being pissed off. She usually said no to me and my brothers if we wanted this or that good food before dinner, because of scarcity.

So I can still see their hollow faces on the stair-case watching me eat my lunch, all covetously and shit. They brought mayonaisse sandwiches from home and would haunt me while I ate.

Anyway I remember hating them so bad, and I reflect on this often. I think that I even had a crush on the oldest one, because she was very proud and graceful and dignified, in a developed contrast from her younger siblings, who just hovered like wolves. The boy especially (it was 2 girls and like a 4 year old boy) I just viscerally hated the sight of and wanted to hurt.

that's really the point. lol I have little insight about these memories, but I am curious how people interpret them. I attribute my hatred of wealth today though in part to how they made me feel.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    so by the age of 8 or 9 you had developed a hatred for others base purely on physical presentation?
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

they were taking my roast beef!

and I believe that it is innate and related perhaps to the hardness necessary to practice infanticide and tribal eugenics, and probably also necessary to wage tribal war- it's not like I had many experiences with near-starved looking people by that age- it had to come from the basement, and not from my culture. It wasn't my environment, because my mom was trying to help them and was kind to them, and my brothers are all younger than me and followed my cues, or were too young at the time to have noticeably felt one way or another.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Well maybe it just was the fact that your mom was trying to help them. Maybe, near-starved or plump, you would've hated them because your mom was babysitting them in the first place. Perhaps it is just mother issues, and you are particularly covetous of roast beef. Not so weird.

nah my mom always babysat a lot of people growing up because other moms on the block worked. I was cool with having more kids around, especially since they were on my territory and I thus enjoyed privileges.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    so it was the usual greedy kid thing where you didn't like sharing?
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Do you have visceral memories of faces and corresponding feelings over "usual greedy kids thing where you don't like sharing?" I don't really. It's way more fundamental than that.

haha yous are a disappointment. I'm gettin' at something basic to nature here.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    I think kids can be naturally unkind. I mean, Lord of the Flies unkind. It sounds like in this instance, that was you. I assume you outgrew that.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

what's more basic to nature than emotions from a random memory imprinting?
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

kids for sure can be dicks

i know, i used to be one
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast