Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cardio for weight loss ??? page

Stephanie is offline Member

Cardio for weight loss ???

Shop Now
    Would cardio be a bad idea for fat loss? If so, what do you recommend?

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    I recommend The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson. A lot of these types of questions are covered there.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    For a female, it is necessary to add a bit of cardio to get the fat store moving out; males often can get away with just lifting and playing lucky bastards. Short, intense sessions (HIT) -about 15 -20 min- are more productive than the long eye-glazing steady-state ones - unless they put you into Zen state and you feel like you are playing. PB also recommends intense sprinting once every 7 to 10 days. Most people are not in a good enough shape to do it, imo. HIT is a compromise.

That's cardio. In addition to structured cardio, you would want to have pleasure movement for about an hour a day. That's dancing, stretching, playing with kids and dogs, gardening etc.

Overall, you need to find your own balance between "I can't get out of bed I am so exhausted" level of exercise and the "I hardly moved all day"... It's a good idea to aim for being tired at night and refreshed and full of energy in the morning and a long, restful sleep. If some of it is missing, you are likely overtraining.

As for the type of cardio, whatever is fun is a priority. I swim, because I am not a big fan of running + screwed up my bunion with it + it takes stress of joints that I load with lifting. But I also like to dance an odd Zumba class, or run a HIT on an elliptical . Swinging Kettlebells and jumping rope are part of my lifting routine. I love x-country skiing, ice-skating and rollerblading. But that's my play, because I suck at it.

I dunno, lots of people equate running with cardio, but to be honest, I think it is one of the worst ways to get your cardio, particularly if you do it indoors on a treadmill.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

lyn c nito is offline Junior Member
    I've read countless books on this subject and they all can be summed up in one sentence: "Exercise has no beneficial impact on weight loss and can add to weight gain."

That said, exercise is beneficial to your overall health. Cardio (hit or tabada type) will help your system as can light weight/high rep routines which are basically cardio. Heavier weights at lower reps can help change your shape as it will build muscle. And no, women will not turn into bulked up shemales.

penantday is offline Junior Member
    i think so,it is one of the worst ways to get your cardio, particularly if you do it indoors on a treadmill. thank you

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    I think short duration, high intensity interval training like Crossfit is a terrific way to lose fat. Long duration cardio training not so much. It takes too much time and won't help you get stronger.
    ad astra per aspera

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    As a woman, I've had much better success using resistance training for weight loss. When I circuit train, I am basically doing resistance training and cardio in a single workout because my heart rate gets right up there, and I have the added benefit of the "after burn" from the resistance training.

Primal Blueprint has convinced me that sprinting occasionally helps with weight loss as well, but I don't do long drawn out intense cardio any more.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Leida is offline Senior Member
    In my experience circuit training did wonders in a certain weight range for me, and then became strongly detrimental, as I shredded upper body muscle like no tomorrow. Still trying to fix the problem. At some point a combination of caloric deficit, HI cardio intervals and only using light weights may do more harm than good. At least for someone pear-shaped like I am - cannibalizing top, and doing little to the fat store on the thighs. Not saying that curcuit is bad per se, just thinking that it is very worthwhile to watch carefully what is happening once you move into the average BMI level & to keep circuit session to under 30 min long. It only takes a look at the lead instructor of the Ripped 1000 to see if this is where you really do want to go.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    I know its tempting to shortcut this stuff but I say "read the Book" it answers everything you need to know to get off to a good start
    Last edited by Richard Seekins; 02-07-2013 at 05:15 AM.
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I do cardio 5 days a week, in the mornings in fasted state. Yeah, the medium distance runs people (rightfully) advice against here. I have for almost a year. I definitely keep my calories in check, too. It has done nothing for my fat/weight loss. It makes me feel great, though and that's what motivates me to keep going.
    I have come to the conclusion that heavy, moderate exercise, the type of exercise or the lack thereof make no difference for my weight and body comp. Seems like all that matters for me is the diet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast