Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Grok - FroYo and Muffins? page 2

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Your defensiveness of your faux-baking choices is a little alarming. :P No need to be hostile.

Yes we should keep it real. My advice is always this: The Primal Blueprint suggests doing 80/20%. I would think people would want to spend their 20% on REAL quality indulgences (fine chocolate, excellent wine, a rich flourless chocolate cake, creme brule, etc) rather than over-processed "paleofied" frankenfoods.

Telling someone who is clearly clueless about what it means to eat primal that they should start substituting baked goods with gluten free baked goods is the opposite of primal. Primal is not a "gluten free diet." Primal is a way of eating that emphasizes whole, real, natural foods, that happens to be grain free.

And yes eggs and bacon is the perfect way to start. Almost everyone, from paleo to cw, loves eggs and bacon.

Sheesh.

Stephanie is offline Member
    Wait what?

When did I ever say they should substitute baked goods with gluten free baked goods? OMG...

All I said was that WE enjoy the gluten free baking mix.

Her thread asks "what should I eat" and your reply was "pamela's gluten free baking mix" or whatever. >.> I'm not trying to derail the OP's thread, so, sorry about that!

Anyhoodle!

OP, it's best to feed a sweet tooth with fruit that's in season, for breakfast putting it in yogurt is a great start. Once you start cutting back on using processed sugar, you will come to realize that fruit and even vegetables have incredible sweetness that we couldn't taste before because processed and fake sugars are SO much sweeter than anything in nature.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I can also heartily recommend baking mushed sweet fruit like banana or sweet potato (baked first to increase sweetness) with egg whites in a microwave. The resulting souffles are wonderful. Coconut milk or cream is another alternative to yogurt.

I don't believe that a sweet tooth ever goes away. And, satisfying it with bananas, sweet potato, yogurt, even unpasterized honey is probably better than trying to assuage the desire that never goes away with butter and nuts. That's what quite a few people end up doing and overeat drastically on it because it is the banana they really want not nuts or bacon.

I find that 75%+ chocolate has absolutely no impact on sweet cravings suppression. It doesn't taste sweet.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Yeah I've also heard that pan frying banana mashed with egg is delicious, though I've never tried it myself. Drizzle a lil bit of raw honey on top with some cinnamon and that sounds delightful. :P

I like dark chocolate but around 60% is my preference. I've tried the super dark ones and they are SOOO bitter it's not even worth the money for me to buy it, because I can't abide the taste, lol.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    This might be an unpopular opinion, but I think going cold turkey into Primal is really the only way to do it. Just commit. Do a Whole30 and be done with processed food forever.

Stephanie is offline Member
    Chocolate covered macadamia nuts are my favorite for keeping my sweet tooth in check.

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    Full-fat greek yogurt with some fresh blueberries, a drizzle of honey, and either a dollop of sunbutter (like peanut butter, but made from sunflower seeds) or a small bit of crushed nuts/seeds of your choice. Filling from the protein in the yogurt, sweet, tart, and just generally delicious. This is my go-to when I need breakfast and don't want eggs and meat. I don't always eat breakfast so this functions as more of a "treat" for me, not something I have every morning.

I had similar issues with the massive sweet tooth when I first started changing my diet. All I can say is that you will notice your taste buds change for the better the longer you stick with it. Sweets were what I held onto the longest when I first started. Bread, pasta, rice, corn, etc I cut fairly easily, but I could not get rid of the craving for sweets, though I did notice quickly that once I was eating real foods the cravings were cut down somewhat. Now I'm finally at a point where I am making the real effort to end my reliance on sugar. I do still have something sweet and not-primal every now and then, but I make sure that it is something worth the splurge, not just some random junk candy.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    This might be an unpopular opinion, but I think going cold turkey into Primal is really the only way to do it. Just commit. Do a Whole30 and be done with processed food forever.
    I think this is a good way to start. It doesn't work for everyone, but at least you have that first month of trial and error (finding recipes, figuring out what you like, making a schedule etc.) to help guide the rest of your journey. I didn't really start to buckle down till I did a Whole30 nearly 6 months after starting Primal (or trying to).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    No. Gluten-free does not necessarily mean primal. You're putting as much processed food in your body as you would on a typical diet eating that crap. Eat some meat and vegetables.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast