Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lamb broth - my mother was right! page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Lamb broth - my mother was right!

Shop Now
    When I announced to my Polish mother a few months ago that bone broth was "one of the most healing foods you could eat" she looked at me as if to say "Yeah? No shit Sherlock!"

My first two attempts at broth were done using bones of chicken I'd roasted, but when I reported back to Mum she advised me to use the meat et al in the broth. Soo - I did it with lamb. And my mother was right. Amazing lamb broth ahoy - I am so proud of myself

I'm not really one for recipes, but here's what I did:

Half leg of lamb
    two onions
    head of garlic (not chopped - I like the cloves as a veggie)
    two carrots
    three big potatoes
    green bell pepper
    a few dashes of red wine
    loads of salt, pepper, and rosemary.

Bunged together in a slow cooker for five hours or so. The flavour initially was super intense, so after I had a portion I added more water, and now it's perfect. I've already eaten all the veggies out of it, so I'm going to leave it in the slow cooker for a few days and keep adding veg as I want it. Once all the lamb flesh is gone it will just be regular bone broth

P1015759.jpg
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

vintageeats is offline Member
    That looks delicious! Love lamb, but definitely didn't eat a lot (any) of it in Eastern Europe. We had a lot of pork and chicken broth-based soups. Slavs know how to eat. I miss that fatty, fatty food.

Yeah, lamb isn't a typical Polish thing - my Mum doesn't even like it. But I'm half Irish so..
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Makes sense ;-) I'm an American mutt, so I'll eat pretty much everything.. within Primal reason. Helps that I date a guy from the Middle East. He makes some great lamb.

oh my God - Yogurt Adana has to be one of my favourite things in the world!! PLus their koftas... drooooool

- Ray Peat

I know. The only thing he trips me up with is the rice :-) Sometimes I can't resist, but it's always accompanied by this fatty, delicious lamb.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Haha! Polish mamas know everytink, yes?

My mama hated lamb, so I never ate it growing up. But homemade chicken soup was always made with fresh chicken broth that'd been cooked for hours. The only shame was that mama also used Vegeta. I don't think she knew it had MSG in it. Oh well. Her intentions were good
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Oh, Vegeta

Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    Haha! Polish mamas know everytink, yes?

My mama hated lamb, so I never ate it growing up. But homemade chicken soup was always made with fresh chicken broth that'd been cooked for hours. The only shame was that mama also used Vegeta. I don't think she knew it had MSG in it. Oh well. Her intentions were good
    I don't remember seeing Vegeta in Belarus, but I did see those Maggi bouillon cubes. My host mom, bless her, didn't believe in them. She just cooked bones.

Amazing to see how cheap food-like substances are making their way into groceries across the world. Also, GMOs. I was horrified when my boyfriend told me that his home country has been importing wheat from the U.S. for the past seven or eight years. Naive me, I believed that other countries' food systems were less messed up than ours.

I was shocked actually when I was in Poland recently and went to buy pickled cucumbers. They ALL had preservatives etc. added. I just presumed that the ingredients would be a lot more pure. Maybe when a country comes from poverty they can be a lot more susceptible to "modern" / richer country influences?

Quote Originally Posted by vintageeats View Post
    I know. The only thing he trips me up with is the rice :-) Sometimes I can't resist, but it's always accompanied by this fatty, delicious lamb.
    Life's too short to never eat rice

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Life's too short to never eat rice
    Truth. I've decided that when they present rice, I eat rice. It's just too good. I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but it's rinsed a few times before cooking, then parboiled, then steamed. In my mind, this is healthier than sticky or regular white rice. Maybe I'm just justifying my habit :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast