Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snoring page

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member

Snoring

Primal Fuel
    My husband has started snoring in the last two months. REALLY BADLY. To the point where one night I got up and slept on the couch and could hear him in there. It is not cool. He wakes me up from 2-4 every night. Over the past week, it has gotten worse. Now he snores from at least 2am to 7am.

Our sleeping options are the couch or the bed. So, seperate bedrooms are a no-go for now.

I think what happened is I put up darkening curtains so now the room is really dark and he sleeps better. At first, I thought maybe the alcohol or weight gain, but he is not that fat at all, and drinking doesn't seem to factor in. He spent last night sober and snored all night.

He was gone for work a few week ago, and I slept so well, through the night. I woke up feeling amazing. I doubt the problem is with me being a light sleeper. He keeps saying that is the case.... Also, he suggested ear plugs, but when I wear ear plugs for a few hours, I tend to get nasty ear infections.

Any thoughts on what to do? Besides take turns sleeping on the couch, which is a crappy night of sleep? We do have an extra room that could become a bedroom, but I don't know, that just is kind of sad. Any home remedies that have worked for the people of MDA?

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    My husband has started snoring in the last two months. REALLY BADLY. To the point where one night I got up and slept on the couch and could hear him in there. It is not cool. He wakes me up from 2-4 every night. Over the past week, it has gotten worse. Now he snores from at least 2am to 7am.

Our sleeping options are the couch or the bed. So, seperate bedrooms are a no-go for now.

I think what happened is I put up darkening curtains so now the room is really dark and he sleeps better. At first, I thought maybe the alcohol or weight gain, but he is not that fat at all, and drinking doesn't seem to factor in. He spent last night sober and snored all night.

He was gone for work a few week ago, and I slept so well, through the night. I woke up feeling amazing. I doubt the problem is with me being a light sleeper. He keeps saying that is the case.... Also, he suggested ear plugs, but when I wear ear plugs for a few hours, I tend to get nasty ear infections.

Any thoughts on what to do? Besides take turns sleeping on the couch, which is a crappy night of sleep? We do have an extra room that could become a bedroom, but I don't know, that just is kind of sad. Any home remedies that have worked for the people of MDA?
    Consult your medical doctor for the possibility of sleep apnea. Also speak with your dentist who can make a device for his teeth that will reduce snoring.

Sleep apnea is a serious condition and sounds like your hubby needs to be checked out. /Lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

AuroraB is online now Senior Member
    I second the check for sleep apnea. You don't necessarily need to be overweight to have it. Don't wait, it's serious.

AmyP is offline Member
    My husband is thin and snores like a freight train. We slept in separate rooms for a couple years. He was checked for sleep apnea and only had a 'mild' case. I had figured this was the case since his snoring was very regular, no gasping for air other than when I tried to smother him with a pillow.

After considering surgery (very expensive) and dental made mouth guards (also quite spendy) I crossed my fingers and ordered him an infomercial mouth guard from puresleep (google). LIFE & MARRIAGE SAVER. Highly highly recommend. It basically pulls the lower jaw slightly forward opening the back of the throat. He sleeps much better and wears it every night even when he is out of town. Much cheaper than dentist made versions and pretty much the same thing.

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    Magnolia, is your husband primal? I ask because my mister snored like a goddamn champ until we stopped eating grains and, although he is still slightly overweight, he barely snores at all anymore.

Too bad the ear plugs aren't an option for you...they're my sleep saviour!

interzone is offline Member
    I actually made my husband see a ENT to get a sleep study because I thought his snoring had gotten worse in the last couple months. It was so bad I started sleeping in the guest room or on the couch. Between the time he went to the ENT and did the sleep study we found out that I was 11 weeks pregnant. The last time his snoring bothered me enough to sleep elsewhere was in the first trimester of my last pregnancy.

I recommend a sleep study for him to rule out apnea and a HPT for you!

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    Does he suffer from allergies or take any meds for allergies? Does he suffer with inflamed nasal passages or other breathing problems making him mouth breathe while sleeping? Snoring is effecting his sleep quality as well as yours. Hopefully he won't have to get worse before he's willing to try and get better. All you can do is sleep elsewhere or meditate to block he noise out and get back to sleep. I slept like a chainsaw until weight loss and then giving up dairy ended my need for sinus meds. If he's tired all the time he may have low levels of oxygen in his blood stream from this.

The meditation can work for you also.

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member
    I assume he isn't a smoker? Quiting smoking (ecigs) pretty much eliminated the snoring issues in our bedroom. I used to have to use ear plugs near everynight and even then sometimes I'd end up on the couch. Now, I can't recall the last time I had to use them.
    Last edited by specsAreGrok; 02-01-2013 at 11:10 AM.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Magnolia, if possible, just to curb his, "You're a light sleeper," record him. I wake myself up when I snore, and just tilting my head a little to the right or left usually stops it. I've told sleepovers to just tell me to roll on my side and they confirm that I do and it stops. So, I think sometimes it's positional.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What if he just wants you to sleep on the couch, and snoring is the only way his behavior could manifest this unwelcome desire?
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast