Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fruit Every Day? page

dsp98 is offline Junior Member

Fruit Every Day?

Primal Fuel
    I am brand new to PB eating and starting my first FULL week today. I'm wanting to lose about 10 lbs. from my 5'6" 155lb 36 year old body. I am wondering if fruit can be eaten every day as long as I remain between 50-100 g carbs?

thanks,

DSP

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Bad idea. Fruit is high in fructose and that's a great recipe for insulin resistance and weight gain. Limit it to berries only, a quarter cup or so, and no more than twice a week.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

dsp98 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks Griff, the menu suggestion in the book for one day included 1/2c berries, 1/2 peach, and an apple all on the same day. I thought that might be too good to be true!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I'm not a big fruit eater now, and I wasn't in my previous life (yes, I consider going primal to be somewhat of a re-incarnation as I'm discovering much more about myself than just what food does) but it's downright nuts to know that fruit which is touted as being super healthy can actually have adverse and undesirable effects if consumed too often. I'm hoping to hear some counter arguments on this, just for fun...

Bird Goddess is offline Senior Member
    I've been eating fruit almost everyday since I went Primal - almost 40 days ago. I've lost 15 pounds so far. Info on MDA and Mark's book say 1-2 servings of fresh fruit per day is okay.

I'm 45, so I don't have youthful metabolism, and I'm somewhat gimpy, so I don't do the heavy lifting, but I engage in easy bike rides and tai chi up to 3 times a week. I also don't have any conditions which would require omitting fruit. I eat about 95% primal (I do eat small amounts of cheese several times a week.)
    Last edited by Bird Goddess; 04-25-2010 at 06:26 PM. Reason: provide more info

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Everybody's a little different, Bird Goddess.
    Some of us really can't tolerate fruit at all, some do well with quite a lot. If you're doing well, and feel good, then that's probably right for you.

Pantera is offline Senior Member
    People who train hard can get away with eating more fruit, especially if such fruit is consumed either during long-lasting low to mid intensity exercise or right after strength training or high intensity exercise.

People who have a significant amount of extra body fat to lose can also get away with more fruit while still losing body fat. Note that this last part is based mostly on guys' experiences. Some girls need to be stricter with food, even if quite overweight.

Bird Goddess is offline Senior Member
    I agree. I just try to follow what Mark recommends. Not everyone can do all of the things he recommends for a variety of reasons - just like I can't do much of the exercise suggestions due to my spine injury. I'm not advocating that everyone eat fruit; I'm just chiming in on DSP98's question.

mstrudle is offline Member
    Fructose is sent straight to the liver to be metabolized into glycogen or body fat depending on whether you are glycogen depleted or not. It's only a problem if you are so corpulent and lethargic that you do no exercise and the fructose then turns into fat. Active people can eat large quantities of fruit with no problems.

I don't eat it everyday, but not because of some morbid fructosephobia; it tastes better when you treat it as a reward to be savored rather than a staple.

Mirrorball is offline Senior Member
    I've been eating fruit every day, several servings, and have lost 46 lb so far. Fructose doesn't cause weight gain and insulin resistance. EXCESS fructose causes weight gain and insulin resistance. Even water in excess is bad for you. It's all about moderation.
    Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast