Page 97 of 282 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107147197 ... LastLast

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 97

PrimalMeatCat is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hello everyone,
    I am returning to a strict Primal lifestyle since falling off the wagon quite a while ago (Chick-Fil-A is NOT primal!). I am interested in EMF not for weight loss, but for management of some hormone problems and a subclinical hypoglycemia problem I have that plagues me with bouts of tiredness throughout the day.
    I am also researching ways to gain strength/lean body mass while in ketosis. Because of the problem with low hormones, I have never been able to make any significant gains, except fat gains on a junk-food diet. I am currently at 130lbs with 12% body fat. 5'8" male. It will be interesting to see what I can do eating all this fat.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    actually, I am likely losing, but definitely not from my typical first places. My front body view is now better than my side body view, never been that way in the past as I have always had a relatively small tummy for what ever size I was. My pants feel looser in the lower butt/upper thigh area, but slightly tighter in the waist. I have moved the bra snaps to their tightest from the loosest. Just wanted to see if I could lose some of this belly.

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    good luck demuralist. I would love to join you - a calorie restriction challenge is just what I need but I don't want to lose the bit on lean muscle I apparently gained last week from doing nothing so I'm upping the protein this week to my proper level & don't think I can make 90% fat by doing that. Will be interested to see how you get on though. If you think it works I might try it next week.

mks8500 is offline Member
    Update from the land of measuring blood ketones....so, so frustrating but very educational for me.

If you'll recall, I started testing Saturday morning and was at .4, Sunday was .6 and this morning was .2....officially not in ketosis at this point. All of this without being over 20g of carbs. So, I'm thinking my issue is not with my carb intake as much as it is with my protein intake. I'm working VERY hard to get to the 80% fat but haven't gotten there yet. There are several of you that have reported a stop in weight loss and from what I'm reading on Attia's site and Moore's site, this has to do with the macros. I'm not saying it will work for everyone, but it's something to consider. Also worth considering is that the Ketostix do measure me being in ketosis.

Percentages
    Friday
    71/24/5

Saturday
    74/25/1

Sunday
    71/23/6

So, back I go to try to get to 80%. Kinda frustrated....

Megan

mks8500 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    So I have decided that since I feel so little movement of fat (ie, it ain't going away) I am going to try a version (ok, my version) of a fat fast. The Atkins diet has one that suggests 90% fat and under 1,000 calories for 3 to 5 days. So I am going to do 3 days and 90% fat, and restricted calories. I decided not to limit myself to 1,000 because for my personality that is asking for a binge, too restrictive. I have Pre-tracked my meals for today and I come in under 1,500 with 91% fat and 21g of carbs. I was shooting to get under 20g of carb, but since I have 12g of fiber, I am not going to sweat the extra 1g.

I am still not getting on the scale until March 3rd, but as you all know, I will know if it is successful, my jeans will tell me so!
    I'll follow your journey with a lot of interest. I'm going to check out your diary at some point to see how you get to the 90% fat. Perhaps I need to add some dairy.

calee is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Primal Meat Cat! We look forward to your input around here.

Demuralist, good luck with your fat fast. Are you willing to share what your menu will look like?

I think that a problem with the Ketostix is that they also measure the fat that we have just eaten. Eating 70% fat, there has to be a lot swimming around in there. I often register on the stix just a day or two after eating a more carbs. I think those are false readings/indicators.

Megan, from looking at your food diary, I would suggest that you could try to limit your protein at each meal to 25g. On a typical day, when I am not in this current experiment, I aim for twice as many grams of fat as protein, at every meal. So that, from your diary yesterday, I would eat either the eggs, or the bacon, or the sausage at breakfast, have a different one at lunch, and the last one at dinner. I find I do best if everything is about evenly split, I hate getting to dinner and all I have left to eat is fat! My normal macros average about 79%f/14%p/6%c. On the other hand you might should check Pebbles or athomeontherange's diaries as they are being quite successful right now.

also, I have seen that the ketosis blood values are lowest in the morning, so the good news is yours can only get better throughout the day right?

calee, I am on MFP and I weigh and track everything. Are you on there?