Page 93 of 282 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143193 ... LastLast

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 93

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    As I understand it, this WOE is affecting hormones in a positive way. Chin hairs, gray hairs are all related to hormones. For me, I have a lot less gray hair than I did two years ago and it is no longer coarse like it has always been. I, too, have fewer chin and facial hair and it, too, is softer.

Off to the store to get the ingredients for deMuralist's soup!
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    p.s. that soup freezes well. It exactly replicates the flavor of stuffed cabbage for those of us raised with Croatian, or other Slavic, family recipes. Every time I make it my house smells like my grandmother's, very happy memories. I made bone broth (enough for at least 4 more batches of the soup) and then the soup when I visited my parents at Christmas, my mom almost cried (it was her mom) because the smells took her back to her childhood.

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    Something new I noticed this morning. My wiry chin hairs that I seem to pluck weekly are either nonexistent and are now soft! You have to realize, I've had issues with this since I was 13(PCOS related) and CW will tell you that you can't get rid of them and they won't get softer. Am I beating CW?

Also, I had to get a new bra yesterday and I bought one in my normal size without trying it on. I'm a 38C. I know that when you first wear a new bra, you're supposed to hook it on the first notches. Today is the first time wearing it and it's hooked on the tightest hooks possible! This is why I don't measure myself, I'm letting my clothes do the talking.

@demuralist making my first batch of beef bone broth and the house smells amazing!
    This makes sense based on the video I saw from the fertility doctor. He started treating women with a 50% protein 50% fat diet and not only did their symptoms abate but many got pregnant without the need for IVF. He says the zero carb approach fixes the hormone imbalance. It's possible VLCHF is doing the same. Can't remember if I mentioned this before so forgive me is I sound senile and am repeating myself but I have noticed that the grey hair I had in my eyebrow (yes only on one side) is now gone. I don't have much grey hair yet and genetically speaking I probably won't. But the chances of my hair getting way thinner as I age looks almost written in stone judging by my female family members. However, I have recently noticed that my hair has grown in in places where it had started to this a few years ago.

Although, I do not have PCOS but am desperate to try anything to improve my fertility before my window of opportunity closes completely. I am going to be trying to be as low carb as possible for the next 4 months. So far everything I have tried has improved my health and turned out to be for good just not in the way I was hoping. It's what lead me to primal... so we shall see if I can manage 4 months of extreme low carb. Sorry for the derail.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Dealing with constipation: My not-really-CW doctor told me to take Vitamin C at as high of a dose as I need. Quelsen (a poster here) said to take it every 4 hours until you achieve loose stools, then back off on the dose a bit. This is what I take. It's important to take it buffered with magnesium & potassium so you don't lose those minerals.

Magnesium works better for some people, however. I used to be able to take some in the evening and have no problems going in the morning, but high doses don't work like that for me now.

Dehydration is a huge part of it too. Make sure you consciously drink plenty of water every day to ensure that's not a factor.

I've found that if I get behind on schedule by more than 3 days, I need to increase doses otherwise the catch-up is very unpleasant. I wouldn't recommend EVER letting yourself go without a BM for a week! Also, psyllium husk can be very damaging to the gut.

Back to your regularly scheduled not poop related discussion...
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    psyllium husk are a CW recommendation. They work, and are a non-digestable carb, so they don't have an insulin reponse.... and sennacot is a stool softener that is vegetable based when taken in the right dose, can be "cathartic".... both are easily obtained at any place that sells vitamins, diet stuff... basically, if you can find it ta Walmart, you can find it anywhere...
    Gut Sense: Restoring Natural Bowel Movements for an alternative point of view. Looking at his supplements looks like Mg., Vitamin C, probiotics...

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    Thx for the info everyone, I already take 300mg magnesium but it's oxide not citrate (bought before I knew any better). will switch & see if it works. I realize physillium husk may not be Primal but they were in the cupboard & they worked before. As I already drink 2-4 litres/day I don't think water is the issue. I have been taking high does of vit C for years & never get A cold now, whereas before I always got a really bad head cold at least once a year. Will also switch my magnesium to the evening

Re hairs, I believe one byproduct of ketosis is loss of hair so maybe this is the case here.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal123 View Post
    Has anyone done zero carb? I ask because I heard of a fertility doctor who has used a zero carb diet very successfully for his patients with PCOS, (which I don't have) but was wondering how one would achieve zero carb, without shunning all vegetables.
    I don't see how you can do zero carb & eat veg. My carb count comes to 9g a day but only because I add mushrooms to my bone broth for flavour & spinach 3x day for the nutrients & fibre. The only other veg I routinely eat is cauliflower which pushes my carb count up to 11g. These are the 3 lowest carb veg that I know off. I suppose you could forgo all veg & just take sups but I think natural is best.
    Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 02-10-2013 at 08:19 AM. Reason: vit C

When I did VLC a couple of years ago, before Primal, I was on Sparkpeople. There was at least one woman that I can remember specifically that went zero carb, obviously no veggies. Had been doing it for years, had reached and maintained her weight and was healthy.

I think the only way to do zero carb and do veggies would be to do it Net Carbs, subtracting fiber from your total carb count. There is much debate about the veracity of the claims of this, but honestly, veggies are carbs, I can't see any other way to eat veggies while doing zero carb.

mks8500 is offline Member
    Ok, so more from the land of testing blood ketones.

Just in case anyone cares, I got my tester (Nova Max Plus Blood Glucose Monitoring System) from Amazon for $13.00. The strips are what's expensive ($3.00 per) and I got the box of 10 also from Amazon. I was able to find the tester locally, but not the strips. The tester came with 2 strips but I used both of those trying to figure out how to get the damn machine to work. I tested yesterday after 3 weeks of not having more than 22 carbs per day and an average of about 17 and my first reading was .4. Yesterday I hit 74% fat, 25% protein and 1% carbs and hit .6 on the monitor this morning. I'm testing in the morning because that's what I found most working on NK did online. I'm tracking all of my info on a graph and will share when my 30 days of testing are done. For now I need to find these strips somewhere I can get them soon!

As we've all said, I think everyone has a different N=1 point but I think this will help me determine mine.

Also - I want to throw my scale out into the ocean! I can't seem to divorce it...

Megan

Nova Max Ketone Strips With FREE Glucose & Ketone Meter Kit | Glucose Meter

this is where I am thinking I will get mine.

p.s. I really appreciate that you are doing this. I am pretty sure I am going to go ahead and get this depending on how my current experiment goes.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal123 View Post
    This makes sense based on the video I saw from the fertility doctor. He started treating women with a 50% protein 50% fat diet and not only did their symptoms abate but many got pregnant without the need for IVF. He says the zero carb approach fixes the hormone imbalance. It's possible VLCHF is doing the same. Can't remember if I mentioned this before so forgive me is I sound senile and am repeating myself but I have noticed that the grey hair I had in my eyebrow (yes only on one side) is now gone. I don't have much grey hair yet and genetically speaking I probably won't. But the chances of my hair getting way thinner as I age looks almost written in stone judging by my female family members. However, I have recently noticed that my hair has grown in in places where it had started to this a few years ago.

Although, I do not have PCOS but am desperate to try anything to improve my fertility before my window of opportunity closes completely. I am going to be trying to be as low carb as possible for the next 4 months. So far everything I have tried has improved my health and turned out to be for good just not in the way I was hoping. It's what lead me to primal... so we shall see if I can manage 4 months of extreme low carb. Sorry for the derail.
    I was diagnosed with male pattern baldness back in 2007 from my PCOS. I have noticed that I am slowly having hair grow back and I have been going grey for about the past year. I'm a natural blonde and have noticed the greys are more on the white side and I'm hoping they'll stay that way. My eyebrows won't change, they've been white all my life. My body hairs are also white so they don't necessarily bother me. I'm not worried about fertility, I already have 3 kids and I had an ablation back in August. Good luck on your quest for fertility.
    Georgette