Page 88 of 281 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138188 ... LastLast

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 88

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by ez2cy View Post
    Well, first screw up today. Added 5 oz of left over meatloaf to my breaky and then took wife out to Cora's for lunch. Blew my calorie intake. Actually....I'm about even, because MFP has it figured for me to lose 2 lbs a week. Think I'm over about the amount they want me under, if that makes sense?

Tomorrow will have to make up for it.

As far as exercise...I heard making wild passionate love is like jogging ten miles. Anyone heard of that? Maybe I should run a marathon later.......LMAO
    Just eat some eggs and bacon for dinner. Your carbs look good for the day. Don't sweat going over calories occasionally. And who cares what MFP says about your weight loss goals. Remember, it's CW bs. Calories in vs calories out... we've learned here that it's not just calories in vs calories out... it's the QUALITY of calories too. If you're hungry, EAT!

It amazes me that you can survive a day on 1300 calories and not feel hungry. It amazes me b/c I eat 1500 and tend to want more.

But regardless, one day of being over calories is not going to completely undo your ketosis, as long as you keep your carbs below 50.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Lizard is offline Senior Member
    At last the scale moved - 0.6lbs down this morning and my month taste terrible and hectic hot flushes - feels like I been wondering in the desert!! Not hungry so skipping Breakfast and off to the farm

Have a great Saturday.
    Nobody can imprison your power of imagination.

Restarted the journey:
    SW: 153lbs (Starting date - 05/08/2013)
    CW: 146lbs (13/08/2013)
    GW: 130lbs

Hi - last post before turning off computer for good for a week. Aaaahhhhh... Thanks for the advice about magnesium and potassium for muscle cramps. I had already been taking magnesium for the last week, but I went and checked the doseage and saw that I should have been taking at least 4 capsules to get what you all recommended. Went and bought some potassium and then took a dose of each mineral before bed last night. Within 5-10 minutes, I had a little upset tummy (which went away quickly), BUT I could feel those little "twinges" that I get in my calf muscles while I lie there (that can spontaneously burst into bone-bending cramps if I am careless and stretch or flex my feet!) start to smooth away, and had no problems all night or this morning. I'll repeat this process every night and report back in a week. I'm still bringing pickle juice as back up (supposedly it's the extreme concentration of salt, according to info on the web).
    Oh, and I weighed in at my Thursday night Weight Watchers meeting (I joined just after Thanksgiving, and have been doing LCHF with my points. I haven't told the leader about this change yet, only that I'm not eating sweets and starches). I am down 2 pounds for this week, for a total weight loss of 14 pounds since 11/28, 10 of which came after a New Years chocolate binge that led me to this WOE in mid January.
    Have a great week everyone, and please think positive thoughts for me on Sunday morning. I'm flying from Phx-Houston-New Orleans to catch a ship that won't wait if I'm delayed. I'm hoping that this snowstorm will be mostly over and airline traffic will be somewhat normal by then... Snowstorms in the east can have a trickle-down delay affect on us out in the west!
    Last edited by desertcreature; 02-08-2013 at 09:53 PM. Reason: emphasis added!

wannispearl is offline Junior Member
    I want to join.
    I haven't had enough time to read through as much of this feed as I want to yet. But I know that mathematically, I'm going to need a little help.

I just finished my first month of Primal. Technically it has gone well... no grains/beans etc has not been a challenge. I already have celiac and I'm not big on gluten free substitution products, usually.
    Anyway, I did really well the first couple of weeks because I was journaling everything, I was eating enough (and good portions, I think) and I was totally geeking out on the wealth of knowledge online here and in PB book. I hike every day with pups...and the strengthening waaas really good and now sort of ... half-assed. I know I need routine for workouts and guidelines for food and I need to re spark that passion I was feeling in the first couple weeks! I'm not going anywhere, this is the right place for me... but I know I'm not balancing things correctly. I need some guidance.

So I was doing well and then a flip switched and I kind of shut off and started an "I've got this" mentality. And I totally didn't "got this" at all cause I'm pretty sure I gained back what I lost AND some. the AND some.... is muscle, I'm sure. But man, seeing more lbs on the scale and my clothing is not looser. That's rough. I am up to 158-160 (fluctuating). My favorite weight was 135 but apparenly I look too skinny at that weight so I'd be cool in the 140-145 range. Actually, considering I want to start crossfitness and I am a hiker I'd be into a little more muscle so I'll aim for 145.

SO I want to do this...
    And at the same time I am terrified of eating that much food. And at the same time if I don't eat enough I also binge on "healthy" things in unhealthy quantities. Oy. I'm struggling to get back on track. I'm going to click that link and start up!
    So far I have figured out that after my BMR and adding in physical activity I need around 1900 cals a day.
    The part where I have a hard time is the rest of the percentages. Help?
    Last edited by wannispearl; 02-08-2013 at 10:53 PM.

B2B
    B2B is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    And who cares what MFP says about your weight loss goals. Remember, it's CW bs. Calories in vs calories out... we've learned here that it's not just calories in vs calories out... it's the QUALITY of calories too. If you're hungry, EAT!
    I enjoy looking @ what MFP says about my weightless goals because it makes me giggle. Some days it will tell me that in 5 weeks I will have gained so many pounds or lose only .5-1 pound if I continue eating like that day. I call bullish*t! That has not been my experience with this WOE. When I am hungry, I eat...the macros that have been working for me.
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.”
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

SW (January 2011): 208.5
    LPW (March 23, 2013): 156.0
    CW (July, 4, 2013): 172

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    And who cares what MFP says about your weight loss goals. Remember, it's CW bs. Calories in vs calories out... we've learned here that it's not just calories in vs calories out... it's the QUALITY of calories too. If you're hungry, EAT!

Quote Originally Posted by B2B View Post
    I enjoy looking @ what MFP says about my weightless goals because it makes me giggle. Some days it will tell me that in 5 weeks I will have gained so many pounds or lose only .5-1 pound if I continue eating like that day. I call bullish*t! That has not been my experience with this WOE. When I am hungry, I eat...the macros that have been working for me.

Quick clarification on what the two of you are stating here...I am not trying to be wilfully obtuse or cause an argument, but what I am reading/understanding may not be what you are both saying, hence the question...

It is my understanding that a calorie = a calorie in that they are both equal measures of heat or some such.

It is also my understanding that each person requires a certain number of these calories daily to maintain their BMR. This can increase or decrease based on age, sex, weight, activity level, medical conditions, metabolism, etc.

Given these two ideas it would seem that if correct BMR was 1,500 calories, it would not matter where these 1,500 calories came from, as if 1,500 calories were consumed, weight (all things being equal) would remain the same. Excess calories would lead to gain, a deficeit would lead to weight loss.

Now, I freely admit that it is far easier to over eat calories on certain foods (junk foods). I can easily eat a 1,000 bag of chips and still be hungry and thus eat 1000 calories more of some other junk. Where as, it is far harder to eat more after eating a pound of steak cooked in butter, which has about the same caloric numbers (1000). This has nothing to do with the number of calories or the quality of calories but in the characteristics of the food themselves - one being more nutritious/satiating than the other.

As such, what I think you are both trying to say is that if one is eating higher quality food sources (non-processed, real foods - meat, vegetables, fats) and not junk foods this leads to weight loss because your body consumes less calories. Not what it appears on the surface that 1000 calories of meat is somehow different than 1000 calories of junk.

Is that correct?

I ask because it can be confusing to some if they think they can eat all the primal foods they want and due to 'quality calories' not gain weight. It has been my experience, that this simply is not true. I can easily gain weight eating too many primal calories.

or am I completely losing my mind?

(this is what I get for posting at 0430 lol)
    Last edited by canio6; 02-09-2013 at 03:37 AM.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Lizard is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wannispearl View Post
    I want to join.
    I haven't had enough time to read through as much of this feed as I want to yet. But I know that mathematically, I'm going to need a little help.

I just finished my first month of Primal. Technically it has gone well... no grains/beans etc has not been a challenge. I already have celiac and I'm not big on gluten free substitution products, usually.
    Anyway, I did really well the first couple of weeks because I was journaling everything, I was eating enough (and good portions, I think) and I was totally geeking out on the wealth of knowledge online here and in PB book. I hike every day with pups...and the strengthening waaas really good and now sort of ... half-assed. I know I need routine for workouts and guidelines for food and I need to re spark that passion I was feeling in the first couple weeks! I'm not going anywhere, this is the right place for me... but I know I'm not balancing things correctly. I need some guidance.

So I was doing well and then a flip switched and I kind of shut off and started an "I've got this" mentality. And I totally didn't "got this" at all cause I'm pretty sure I gained back what I lost AND some. the AND some.... is muscle, I'm sure. But man, seeing more lbs on the scale and my clothing is not looser. That's rough. I am up to 158-160 (fluctuating). My favorite weight was 135 but apparenly I look too skinny at that weight so I'd be cool in the 140-145 range. Actually, considering I want to start crossfitness and I am a hiker I'd be into a little more muscle so I'll aim for 145.

SO I want to do this...
    And at the same time I am terrified of eating that much food. And at the same time if I don't eat enough I also binge on "healthy" things in unhealthy quantities. Oy. I'm struggling to get back on track. I'm going to click that link and start up!
    So far I have figured out that after my BMR and adding in physical activity I need around 1900 cals a day.
    The part where I have a hard time is the rest of the percentages. Help?
    Welcome - this is a great place to be with awesome support!! What is your height, age and a daily breakdown of your eating plan?
    Last edited by Lizard; 02-09-2013 at 04:00 AM.
    Nobody can imprison your power of imagination.

Restarted the journey:
    SW: 153lbs (Starting date - 05/08/2013)
    CW: 146lbs (13/08/2013)
    GW: 130lbs

B2B
    B2B is offline Senior Member
    Canio - you are not losing your mind...perhaps I should have been more clear. After I have entered all of my foods for a day there is a button on MFP that says "complete this entry." When I click on that, it says that if everyday was like today...in 5 weeks you would weigh this amount. That's what makes me giggle, the day to day predictions for 5 weeks out. There are days that I eat substantially more because of my activity level and that is when MFP makes a prediction that I will gain weight.

This is what I know, I have been doing EMF for a solid 4 weeks and have lost 11.5 pounds and some inches. MFP helps me track my macros, and that is what I am focusing on right now as I tweak. I have lost my holiday gain and broken my almost year long plateau. MFP would have not predicted this based on the data I supplied. Does that make sense?
    “Life is a journey, not a destination.”
    ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

SW (January 2011): 208.5
    LPW (March 23, 2013): 156.0
    CW (July, 4, 2013): 172

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Quick clarification on what the two of you are stating here...I am not trying to be wilfully obtuse or cause an argument, but what I am reading/understanding may not be what you are both saying, hence the question...

It is my understanding that a calorie = a calorie in that they are both equal measures of heat or some such.

It is also my understanding that each person requires a certain number of these calories daily to maintain their BMR. This can increase or decrease based on age, sex, weight, activity level, medical conditions, metabolism, etc.

Given these two ideas it would seem that if correct BMR was 1,500 calories, it would not matter where these 1,500 calories came from, as if 1,500 calories were consumed, weight (all things being equal) would remain the same. Excess calories would lead to gain, a deficeit would lead to weight loss.

Now, I freely admit that it is far easier to over eat calories on certain foods (junk foods). I can easily eat a 1,000 bag of chips and still be hungry and thus eat 1000 calories more of some other junk. Where as, it is far harder to eat more after eating a pound of steak cooked in butter, which has about the same caloric numbers (1000). This has nothing to do with the number of calories or the quality of calories but in the characteristics of the food themselves - one being more nutritious/satiating than the other.

As such, what I think you are both trying to say is that if one is eating higher quality food sources (non-processed, real foods - meat, vegetables, fats) and not junk foods this leads to weight loss because your body consumes less calories. Not what it appears on the surface that 1000 calories of meat is somehow different than 1000 calories of junk.

Is that correct?

I ask because it can be confusing to some if they think they can eat all the primal foods they want and due to 'quality calories' not gain weight. It has been my experience, that this simply is not true. I can easily gain weight eating too many primal calories.

or am I completely losing my mind?

(this is what I get for posting at 0430 lol)
    You are correct in that a calorie is a calorie is a calorie, when speaking to the concept that it is a meaasure of heat. You are also correct that BMR is the number of calories one must burn to maintain their bodily functions. Drop below that number and the difference has to be made up somehow. Either the body adapts to the current calorie intake and gets more efficient in it's calorie use, and/or it switches fuel sources.

Calories come from fat, carbs and protein, and the body has a preference as to the order it burns fuels. Carbs, then fat and then protein. The "difficulty" comes in getting the right mix of calories to maintain your normal body functions. Proteins are constantly needed for cell wall repair, muscle building, yada yada yada, fats are needed for hormone production, vitamin transport, energy storage yada yada yada. Carbs are burned first because they are the easiest to convert to energy. Fats and proteins, if I understand correctly pretty much are burned at a constant rate. Carbs are a different story. Because there are several different "sugars" that make up carbs, they are converted to energy at different rates. Simple sugars, like glucose, are absorbed really quick and other sugars are harder to convert to glucose and are absorbed more slowly.
    With that being said, your ability to eat a cetrain number of calories will be driven by the source of the calorie.... It is far easier to eat 1000 calories of carbs than it is to eat 1000 calories of protein because of feedback loops in the body that tell you "OK dummy, enough with the boiled eggs already!" or "Knock it off with the lard, I'm full already"..... Highly processed foods are filled with calories that are easy to digest (ie sugar) so you don't get the feedback from your body until you have overeaten your calorie requirement. Whole foods or foods that are not highly processed do not have all those fillers and have my bulky fiber (in the case of veg) that aids in the feedback off your body to tell you to stop eating. (ie satiety).

Instead of that loquacious response, I could have just said "Yes, you are correct" but I like the sound of my voice in my head when I write....

ez2cy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    Karin, I don't know but it promotes the "excretion of toxins" and that doesn't sound pleasant!
    Looked back and can't find it....this is in response to?????
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013