Page 64 of 281 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164 ... LastLast

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 64

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by desertcreature View Post
    I am 53, just started menopause last fall. Jeans that fit last summer were too tight overall before going low carb high fat on Jan 19. I've lost about 8-10 lbs since. The jeans are now baggy in thighs, loose in the butt, but are still too tight in the waist.
    What the heck? Is some sort of pennance?
    Does anyone else experiencing this and has anyone ideas for a solution? (I confess I haven't exercised much since minor knee surgery last November, and don't do sit-ups. I will start them eventually, just not right now...)
    Def don't need to do sit ups
    Def dial in your eating, and things like planks and lifting weights will help your core. Sit ups are useless

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I am 53, just started menopause last fall. Jeans that fit last summer were too tight overall before going low carb high fat on Jan 19. I've lost about 8-10 lbs since. The jeans are now baggy in thighs, loose in the butt, but are still too tight in the waist.
    Does anyone else experiencing this and has anyone ideas for a solution? (I confess I haven't exercised much since minor knee surgery last November, and don't do sit-ups. I will start them eventually, just not right now...)
    Sit-ups won't widdle your middle, much to everyone's surprise. The Army tests sit-up strength to determine hipflexor strength. From my own experience after 9 years of doing situps for the Army, while I experienced some abdominal muscle strength, most of it occured in my thighs. My chiropractor (who practices Active Release Techniques and treats me for sciatica and running injuries) told me my hipflexors are too strong - thanks to the Army - and has caused most of my lower body nerve issues (namely the sciatica) and low back weakness. And they're stressful to the lower back tissues (discs and whatnot). I would recommend Planks for core strength and shaping per the Primal Blueprint Fitness model.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    All I know about the Optimal Diet is what Paleobird posted. I think the ideal weights can come from many sources. I got mine from the SPEED program book that a few of us did last year. I'll look it up for you.
    Thanks Paula.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Def don't need to do sit ups
    Sit ups are useless
    ^w0rd

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to menopause! Androgen now rules! And its job is to thicken the waistline and smooth out the curves. Damn hormone! When estrogen and progesterone decrease - this hormone becomes dominant and shifts the fat deposits from the limbs to the mid-section. UGH! As if hot flashes and lack of libido aren't enough - now we get fatter in the middle too?

Androgen
    Androgen, known as the male hormone, occurs in women in small quantities. Androgen stimulates sexual libido, raises energy levels and enhances your mood. Elevated levels in females cause facial hair, a deepened voice and fat cells to form around the midsection. Although androgen levels decrease during menopause, estrogen levels drop at a higher rate, making androgen higher in ratio. Prior to menopause, you may carry more weight in the hip and thigh area. Overweight men tend to accumulate weight around the stomach and waist area, and during menopause, you may also notice a shift in the way fat is deposited. Adipose fat collects around your midriff area and decreases in your legs and arms.

Read more: Why Does Your Waist Thicken At Menopause? | LIVESTRONG.COM
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:
    Highest weight: 216
    Current weight: 189 (7-16-14)
    Goal weight: 140

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Jenn - The range for a 5'4" person is 131-148, so your guess of 140 hits right in the middle.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by athomeontherange View Post
    this does not sound normal at all. How close are you to menopause?
    Like I said before, I'll be 37 next month and according to what my mom went through and my sisters are going through now, I could be looking to start perimenopause any time now. My oldest sis just turned 54 in December and she is just now completing menopause. I also know that with having the thermal ablation done in August, it can either complete end it or make it to where you barely have a cycle and I am experiencing the latter except I do have slight cramping.
    Georgette

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Jenn - The range for a 5'4" person is 131-148, so your guess of 140 hits right in the middle.
    Thanks.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Anyone around?
    Am considering asking Dr for blood tests to make sure my hormones are not completely effed. What would I ask for exactly? Any specific one? You would think he would know when I explain stuff, but sometimes they are pretty clueless.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Hi guys
    Just thought that I would report in.
    I have been trucking along since the start of the year, with absolutely nothing significant to report. Until this week. The only change has been dropping my calories. I am still keeping high fat, moderate protein and low carbs within that count, and all of a sudden BANG – 2kg so far this week.
    So not sure if this will continue to work for me, but will plug on with my little experiment.
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    For the thyroid: T3, Free T3, T4, Free T4, Reverse T3, and TSH.
    Check your vitamin D3 levels.
    Try to get him to do a saliva test for adrenal function.
    No clue on the female hormones.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome