Page 48 of 281 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 48

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    And maybe once you get the fibro under control using one of those methods, or better determining your trigger foods, VLC might be good. If it were me trying to do VLC with uncontrolled Fibro symptoms, I'd feel depressed too - it'd be too much for me to bear considering how devastating Fibro can be to your life and how difficult it can be to do VLC as a normal, healthy, fully functioning adult. My advice, for your sanity, would be to take up an autoimmune protocol first, get things under control and then come back to VLC as an experiment. I'm not saying you shouldn't eat VLC while eating autoimmune... I'm just suggesting tackling one thing at a time.

Do you have a journal? I am interested in following your story.
    Thanks Jenn. I do think maybe healthy carbs at this point is a good idea. I have been eating junk carbs/bad oil some which I know doesn't help. I started this at the holidays and have been unable to break the cycle. I am hoping by adding potatoes and some rice I can break that and then maybe go VLC for a while. I hate feeling this way. I keep starting and stopping journals but I think I will start one with this experiment, not just for myself but for others to see what does/doesn't work.
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Thank you! I really appreciate the smile. I need it today. I know my calories are not too low. And I have been eating junk carbs so of course that makes it worse. Thanks again for the hi and the smile!!!! (I can't figure out how to do multiple quotes in a reply, sorry about all the extra posts!)
    Quote Originally Posted by mks8500 View Post
    I don't have any experience with either, but didn't want your post to go by without a reply (the board moves so quickly). What have you been eating? Could your calories be too low? Again, no experience, just wanted to say hi and send a smile.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

I was actually just thinking about adding broth. And I didn't realize avocados have potassium. I bought some the other day so I will add that as well. Thanks for the ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyL View Post
    Try having two cups of well salted broth early in the day and see if this prevents the problem. Eat an avacado as well for potassium. The only other thing I can think of is you aren't able to digest the fat. Bile salts and digestive enzymes may be necessary.

If you need a temporary quick fix to get back to work, I would eat some carbs for now and try again in a few days with special attention to the two points above and see if things go better.

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by valmason01 View Post
    Thanks Jenn. I do think maybe healthy carbs at this point is a good idea. I have been eating junk carbs/bad oil some which I know doesn't help. I started this at the holidays and have been unable to break the cycle. I am hoping by adding potatoes and some rice I can break that and then maybe go VLC for a while. I hate feeling this way. I keep starting and stopping journals but I think I will start one with this experiment, not just for myself but for others to see what does/doesn't work.
    Just remember... potatoes (white for sure, not sure about sweet) are in the nightshade family and might cause you some issues. I think it's pretty much a scientific fact that nightshades are a known trigger for fibro patients. But if they don't bother you, no harm in eating them. I love white potatoes!

When you get your journal started, drop by my journal or here and post the link so I can read up. I'd love to offer support.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Greetings,
    I read the initial posts here and in the original challenge started in December. I'm planning to join you (I need to do some math first) and will have some questions later, but just this one real quick - You say to "read the book" but I don't know if I should get the "Primal Blueprint" or the PB "21 day transformation". With the little info below, WHICH book might be my best resource?
    I'm in menopause, I have about 95 pounds to loose and have dealt with obesity all my life. I'm currently not active (I work from home and sit at a computer 8-10 hours daily), but when I was active last year (9 months of hiking 2-3 times a week, 3-5 miles at a time), I hardly lost any weight while trying to follow a typical low fat, high carb diet. Right now I just don't feel like exercising, and I have a depressing home life.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ez2cy View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I know what my doctor would say, so I'll save my breath. I'm taking 20mg of Citalopram, once a day. Net says it has a 1/2 life of 35 hours, so I guess a week and I'd be clear of it.

Not trying to pry but did the 5HTP help your situation ie take the place of the meds?
    I don't mind. I don't like to consider it a swap because 5-HTP helps with my depression so much more than any SSRI ever did (tried a number of them over the course of 8 years or so). No side effects, unless better sleep counts! I write about this on my journal here from time to time, but just to recap, I take 150-200mg per night, split into two doses, as needed. I've been on about 200mg for a few months now, needed for various physical stresses, I'm guessing. Last summer, I didn't need it at all. Before ever trying 5-HTP, I never thought I could feel as happy as I do now. I just didn't think it was possible for ANYONE.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

(I can't figure out how to do multiple quotes in a reply, sorry about all the extra posts!)
    Below the post you wish to quote is the "Reply with Quote" button. Just to the right of that is the "multiple quote" button. Click that for all the posts you wish to respond to. Then instead of using "quick reply" at the bottom of the page, use "Reply to Thread". it will pull all the quotes into the box for you.

Tip: It posts the "quotes" in the order that you click them, so they may be out of order in comparison to how the original posters posted them.

Quote Originally Posted by desertcreature View Post
    Greetings,
    I read the initial posts here and in the original challenge started in December. I'm planning to join you (I need to do some math first) and will have some questions later, but just this one real quick - You say to "read the book" but I don't know if I should get the "Primal Blueprint" or the PB "21 day transformation". With the little info below, WHICH book might be my best resource?
    I'm in menopause, I have about 95 pounds to loose and have dealt with obesity all my life. I'm currently not active (I work from home and sit at a computer 8-10 hours daily), but when I was active last year (9 months of hiking 2-3 times a week, 3-5 miles at a time), I hardly lost any weight while trying to follow a typical low fat, high carb diet. Right now I just don't feel like exercising, and I have a depressing home life.
    Either book would be fine.

Most of us have learned that weight loss is 90% diet, 10% activity. I have lost more weight just WALKING 45 minutes 5x a week and eating primally than I EVER did running and training for half marathons (did 7 long races in 2011... gained weight b/c I didn't manage my diet).

Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Just remember... potatoes (white for sure, not sure about sweet) are in the nightshade family and might cause you some issues. I think it's pretty much a scientific fact that nightshades are a known trigger for fibro patients. But if they don't bother you, no harm in eating them. I love white potatoes!

When you get your journal started, drop by my journal or here and post the link so I can read up. I'd love to offer support.
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Below the post you wish to quote is the "Reply with Quote" button. Just to the right of that is the "multiple quote" button. Click that for all the posts you wish to respond to. Then instead of using "quick reply" at the bottom of the page, use "Reply to Thread". it will pull all the quotes into the box for you.

Tip: It posts the "quotes" in the order that you click them, so they may be out of order in comparison to how the original posters posted them.
    Just had to do this to prove to myself I was smart enough Thanks...and I will link you to the journal. Thanks so much for the support!!!

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Just had to do this to prove to myself I was smart enough Thanks...and I will link you to the journal. Thanks so much for the support!!!