Page 47 of 282 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797147 ... LastLast

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 47

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddraig Goch View Post
    To answer my own question re unsalted kerrygold butter. Apparently it has been discontinued in the UK & president butter is not grass fed.However, Rachel's Organic butter is the closest thing we can get (our dreadful weather makes it nearly impossible for cows to be pastured all year round) & luckily Waitrose has it on offer. So glad I have found it, 2 days on 40g of salted butter has been making me feel terrible (I never touch salt normally). Its been very interesting seeing the different issues re grass fed & availability for different dairy foods between US & UK.

Just out of curiosity can you buy raw dairy of the shelf in the US? Here you can only by it direct from certified farms which makes it pretty impossible unless you happen to be living near one, which unfortunately I am not.

Have also re aligned my menus so the fat to protein intake is approx 2:1 for each meal, rather than catching up on the fat in the evening. Have no idea if this will make any difference as I am so new to this but it seems like a good idea.

I also assume its better to have fat from a range of sources over the course of a day (eg butter, EVOO, Mac Nuts, CO) rather than just one (butter or CO). Is this a reasonable assumption or doesn't matter?
    I live in the Midwest in the States (Iowa) where we have 4 months a year where it is yucky cold out. We have grass-fed exclusively farms in Iowa that make it work. If the farms in your area are saying it's impossible, it's b/c they don't want the hassle. The farm in Iowa that I am referencing has fields that are exclusively used to only grow grass to be harvested for the winter months. They grow it, cut it, bale it and store it for winter. Other farms tell me it's not possible to not supplement grain in the winter, but if this one farm can do it, why can't they all? They simply don't want to... that being said, I don't buy grass-fed meats as our budget doesn't allow, but I have done my shopping and know where I'd buy it if I could.

It's funny to me that you can't get unsalted KG in the UK. It's produced in Ireland!! Way closer for you to get it from Ireland than it is to ship it to the states, isn't it??
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tee View Post
    Hey Gang, just ran across this thread and I hope you'll all except a guy joining you.
    According to the information I have gained reading this thread, at my current weight,
    I should be consuming 3311 cals per day.
    Yes I weigh a lot for now. My question is how much fat should I be consuming a day?
    Thank you and I look forward to day day I can tell you I reached my beach body weight.
    Which I haven't seen since Jimmy Carter was in office.
    Welcome. We have at least 5 men that frequent the thread.

257g of fat is 70% of those calories.

Quote Originally Posted by Tee View Post
    Jenn, my goal weight is 195 lbs. Also, I did the equation to figure out how many cals per day I needed. 3311 cals is 20% of the 4553 cals to maintain my current weight.
    So, using this goal weight, that would be 88.5 kg

1/2 of that is 44 gm carbs.
    1.1x that would be approximately 94 gm protein.
    2x protein would be 187 gm fat.

44 gm carbs * 4 calories per carb = 176 calories from carbs
    94 * 4 = 376 calories from protein
    187 * 9 = 1683 calories from fat

Add those up: 2235 is what you should shoot for for calories to reach 195 lbs.

Macros will equal:

Carbs: 44 gm, 7.9%
    Protein: 94 gm, 16.8%
    Fat: 187 gm, 75.3%

Tee
    Tee is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Pebbles. Just so I'm correct, 70% from fat, 25% from protein and 5% from carbs?

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Welcome. We have at least 5 men that frequent the thread.

257g of fat is 70% of those calories.
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    So, using this goal weight, that would be 88.5 kg

1/2 of that is 44 gm carbs.
    1.1x that would be approximately 94 gm protein.
    2x protein would be 187 gm fat.

44 gm carbs * 4 calories per carb = 176 calories from carbs
    94 * 4 = 376 calories from protein
    187 * 9 = 1683 calories from fat

Add those up: 2235 is what you should shoot for for calories to reach 195 lbs.

Macros will equal:

Carbs: 44 gm, 7.9%
    Protein: 94 gm, 16.8%
    Fat: 187 gm, 75.3%
    Paula, since he used the BMR calculation to determine his calorie goal, and I used the HSIS method, which is right for him? We got different calories goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    My Fitness Pal & BMR I just discovered a major flaw in the way MFP calculates BMR. The calculator on the site only gives you your "coma calories" burn, and clearly says that daily activity is not counted. It then says that it's Mifflin-St joer calculation is more accurate than Harris Benedict. BUT the purpose of Harris Benedict is to calculate your activity calories. Somebody messed up.

MFP gives me 1765 BMR. I multiplied by 1.375 for less active days.
    Min Daily Calorie need 2427
    I choose to eat 1850 cals about 20% below. On heavy work out days up to 40% below

IMO everyone should at least eat enough to hit their base BMR without activity, though others I'm sure will disagree.

Harris Benedict tells us to multiply the base BMR by the following:
    To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9
    Paula, can you put this in the first thread for ease of locating later? Thanks.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shrinkinglo View Post
    Geo - what is the CO that you put in your tea
    CO is CO like honeybuns said. If you want to know brand though, I use Effa Gold and I get it at Kroger.
    Georgette

shrinkinglo is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddraig Goch View Post
    To answer my own question re unsalted kerrygold butter. Apparently it has been discontinued in the UK & president butter is not grass fed.However, Rachel's Organic butter is the closest thing we can get (our dreadful weather makes it nearly impossible for cows to be pastured all year round) & luckily Waitrose has it on offer. So glad I have found it, 2 days on 40g of salted butter has been making me feel terrible (I never touch salt normally). Its been very interesting seeing the different issues re grass fed & availability for different dairy foods between US & UK.
    I know it may not be grass fed, but I use asda/Sainsbury unsalted butter

Used the above equation after getting my BMR. I went midway between lightly active and moderately active (used a multiplier of 1.4625 - averaged lightly and moderate multipliers).

BMR: 1605.8
    Multiplier: 1.4625
    Total maintenance calories: 2348.5
    20% of Maintenance calories: 1878.8

Using those figures, my macros would break down like this:

10% Carbs: 47 gm
    20% protein: 94 gm
    70% fat: 146 gm

But, if I use the HSIS equation, my goals should be (using 66 kg as my goal weight)

carbs: 33 gm
    protein: 73 gm
    fat: 145 gm

Total calories: 1730

But those numbers don't equal 10/20/70. They equal 7.6/16.9/75.4, which I can't input into MFP b/c it only does percentages in increments of 5.

I'm not sure which is right... currently, doing 1500 calories, 38 gm carbs, 117 gm fat, and 75 gm protein.
    Last edited by jenn26point2; 02-05-2013 at 08:49 AM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    truncated...
    I *AM* in ketosis, though, so does it really matter?