Page 46 of 282 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 46

mks8500 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by valmason01 View Post
    I am not doing well with all of this. I had a fibromyalgia flare up a few weeks ago that still hasn't gone away and I am very depressed. I have not been to work in two days. I don't know at this point if the depression caused the flare up or vice versa but either way I am not functioning. Sorry to just whine but something has to give. I just took a walk to try to get out some. It took all the energy I had. I have to go to work tomorrow and I want my life back. I am wondering if adding in carbs that are 'safe', maybe a Perfect health Diet style would help or if VLC is the way to go. I know we are all different but if anyone has had any experience w/ one or both and wouldn't mind sharing that would be wonderful! Thanks for letting me whine
    I don't have any experience with either, but didn't want your post to go by without a reply (the board moves so quickly). What have you been eating? Could your calories be too low? Again, no experience, just wanted to say hi and send a smile.

Shyloh is offline Member
    I just wanted to give you ladies and update:

My weight hasn't changed,but I feel AMAZING!!

I have so much energy!
    Started eating Primal January 14th,2013
    CW: 126 lbs/GW 125lbs
    I am new to Primal/Paleo,loving it so far!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    I am not doing well with all of this. I had a fibromyalgia flare up a few weeks ago that still hasn't gone away and I am very depressed. I have not been to work in two days. I don't know at this point if the depression caused the flare up or vice versa but either way I am not functioning. Sorry to just whine but something has to give. I just took a walk to try to get out some. It took all the energy I had. I have to go to work tomorrow and I want my life back. I am wondering if adding in carbs that are 'safe', maybe a Perfect health Diet style would help or if VLC is the way to go. I know we are all different but if anyone has had any experience w/ one or both and wouldn't mind sharing that would be wonderful! Thanks for letting me whine
    Try having two cups of well salted broth early in the day and see if this prevents the problem. Eat an avacado as well for potassium. The only other thing I can think of is you aren't able to digest the fat. Bile salts and digestive enzymes may be necessary.

If you need a temporary quick fix to get back to work, I would eat some carbs for now and try again in a few days with special attention to the two points above and see if things go better.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Wow! Some posts got buried quickly!

Val, I have no experience with Fibro, and only know what I have read from people here and have talked about with my mother-in-law (MIL) who is also a Fibro sufferer. My MIL does not follow the Primal Blueprint (PB), she says she knows what her triggers are and feels too restricted on the PB. So I don't know how she controls hers at this point. I know Tomi and Candy and Judg (others here at MDA) control their fibro/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) with the PB, primarily, no sugar or bad inflammatory foods (like bad oils, etc).

Something I think might be of benefit for you to look into is an autoimmune paleo protocol or GAPS protocol.These will help you find your trigger foods, which will help you determine which foods to avoid in the future to avoid flare-ups. For my MIL, these foods are nightshades (specifically tomatoes or jalapenos), alcohol, and anything spicy. You can find them online, or read the book Practical Paleo (the author has a 30 day meal plan for those suffering specifically with Fibro). It's a great book that really breaks down the way our bodies work, why they fight back (with autoimmune illnesses) and has some awesome recipes.

And maybe once you get the fibro under control using one of those methods, or better determining your trigger foods, VLC might be good. If it were me trying to do VLC with uncontrolled Fibro symptoms, I'd feel depressed too - it'd be too much for me to bear considering how devastating Fibro can be to your life and how difficult it can be to do VLC as a normal, healthy, fully functioning adult. My advice, for your sanity, would be to take up an autoimmune protocol first, get things under control and then come back to VLC as an experiment. I'm not saying you shouldn't eat VLC while eating autoimmune... I'm just suggesting tackling one thing at a time.

Do you have a journal? I am interested in following your story.

Quote Originally Posted by Tee View Post
    Hey Gang, just ran across this thread and I hope you'll all except a guy joining you.
    According to the information I have gained reading this thread, at my current weight,
    I should be consuming 3311 cals per day.
    Yes I weigh a lot for now. My question is how much fat should I be consuming a day?
    Thank you and I look forward to day day I can tell you I reached my beach body weight.
    Which I haven't seen since Jimmy Carter was in office.
    Tee, what is your goal weight? Have you used any of the equations/formulas in the first post to determine your goals?
    Last edited by jenn26point2; 02-05-2013 at 08:15 AM.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

ez2cy is offline Senior Member
    No I don't mind....do I have to do anything? Like approve you?
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

Quote Originally Posted by ez2cy View Post
    No I don't mind....do I have to do anything? Like approve you?
    Yes. I sent you a request on MFP to be your friend. You might also have to update your settings (click the settings link on the Home Tab) to allow friends to see your diary. It might default to private.

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    To answer my own question re unsalted kerrygold butter. Apparently it has been discontinued in the UK & president butter is not grass fed.However, Rachel's Organic butter is the closest thing we can get (our dreadful weather makes it nearly impossible for cows to be pastured all year round) & luckily Waitrose has it on offer. So glad I have found it, 2 days on 40g of salted butter has been making me feel terrible (I never touch salt normally). Its been very interesting seeing the different issues re grass fed & availability for different dairy foods between US & UK.

Just out of curiosity can you buy raw dairy of the shelf in the US? Here you can only by it direct from certified farms which makes it pretty impossible unless you happen to be living near one, which unfortunately I am not.

Have also re aligned my menus so the fat to protein intake is approx 2:1 for each meal, rather than catching up on the fat in the evening. Have no idea if this will make any difference as I am so new to this but it seems like a good idea.

I also assume its better to have fat from a range of sources over the course of a day (eg butter, EVOO, Mac Nuts, CO) rather than just one (butter or CO). Is this a reasonable assumption or doesn't matter?
    Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 02-05-2013 at 08:19 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by ez2cy View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I know what my doctor would say, so I'll save my breath. I'm taking 20mg of Citalopram, once a day. Net says it has a 1/2 life of 35 hours, so I guess a week and I'd be clear of it.

Not trying to pry but did the 5HTP help your situation ie take the place of the meds?
    Another post that got buried!! Ugh.

I was taking Lexapro (generic) and went through withdrawal for 6 straight weeks at a minimum. It seemed like forever. For me, withdrawals came as brain zaps (felt like an electrical pulse in my brain that shot down my extremities). I'd feel these if I missed a dose of the lexapro, so I was fully prepared to deal with them when I stopped taking it... but I did not expect it to last so long. Oy!

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    WOW.. just caught up.

Welcome New members!! All are welcome here

Update on me.. 8 days clean, today is number 9. My thinking is cloudy though because this darn headache WONT LEAVE. I have had to turn off some lights in my classroom so I can function. The additional bump on the head last night is not improving my situation. I never hit my head.. why am I so dang clumsy now?? Anyway, my number on MFP have been spot on. I am just waiting to feel amazing. I expect it will happen when the headache goes away!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Tee
    Tee is offline Senior Member
    Jenn, my goal weight is 195 lbs. Also, I did the equation to figure out how many cals per day I needed. 3311 cals is 20% of the 4553 cals to maintain my current weight.
    Last edited by Tee; 02-05-2013 at 08:25 AM.