Page 44 of 282 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494144 ... LastLast

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 44

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Richard, there is a recipe group on MDA called LCHF Recipe Group. In that group there is a discussion that has links to 2 articles with suggestions for eating healthy fats. There are also 4 pages of recipes showing how we all get our fat. It is a great resource, you should check it out.

Things I can think of from the top of my head...avocado, cream cheese, high fat meats, olives, coconut oil, heavy cream, high fat cheeses, butter.

The "formula" Pebbles gave in the first post of this thread also includes allowance for gaining weight. You simply use the weight at which you would look hottest in swimwear and do the calculations. For me, getting most of my fat from food or with food as opposed to just adding (or swigging) tablespoons of oil works better.

With out a doubt my fave way to add in some extra fat is a slice of fat bread with goat cheese, thinned with a bit of cream, spread on top.

ez2cy is offline Senior Member
    Ok, one day down and I could do with some answers.....ANSWERS...I WANT ANSWERS PEOPLE ( just joking, it's the meds)

Joined MyFitnessPal as suggested. Don't like that it does not calculate strength training calories burnt but I'll live with it.

Now..so I understand. I ate 947 Cals. Fiber was 2, Fat 89, and Protein 45. So I'm guessing the numbers for Fiber, Fat and Protein is grams? Either way, I didn't eat enough fat to make 70 or 80%? Is that correct?

Also, someone posted and I saw it when I reserched it, that if you are on anti depresants, you shouldn't take 5HTP. Anyone have an idea how long one should stay off the meds before starting 5HTP?

Finally......one day complete but I'm not at my goal of 175 lbs.....What went wrong?
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    sorry I am bad with percentages, but really, you didn't eat enough, gosh.

what were your carbs (yep those numbers are grams) a decent rule of thumb is that your fat should be twice your protein and your carbs should be half your protein. So with 45g of protein, fat ideally would be 90g (so you were crazy close, yeah!), and carbs would be 23g.

Not sure on the 5htp question. Maybe check and see how long your anti-depressant supposedly stays in the body, it is likely different for different meds.

Also, if you haven't already, you should enter your starting measurements into MFP

So on to my question...anyone know why an ounce of red wine has 25 calories and the only macro it has is 1g of carb, which technically would only be 4 calories? I have used a couple of sources and they all say the same thing?

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    Alcohol calories.

ez2cy is offline Senior Member
    MyFitnessPal didn't show me carbs...hmmmmm. May have to look at settings or something. As far as not eating enough, not hungry at all. Problem? Also not sure exactly how MFP works, as it says I gained 300+ calories for the day from exercise?

Edit;

Yea, went back and I could add the carbs...I ate 7 for the day.

If you find out about red wine, post it please. Have a couple hundred bottles here screaming my name every meal....>LOL
    Last edited by ez2cy; 02-05-2013 at 06:05 AM.
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Alcohol has 7 calories per gram of alcohol, hence the extra calories.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Keep us posted about your Mom. And thanks for having the courage to be honest. You can and will beat this.

Quote Originally Posted by qqemokitty View Post
    My Why..

I've been overweight since I was about 10. I remember the first time someone called me fat to my face, it was on the playground in 6th grade. I blocked a boy from making a basket and he called me a fat bitch. I will never forget his name or his face as he said that. My parents divorced when I was 4 and I had a very rocky childhood complicated with various kinds of abuse that I don't care to detail here. My stepmom was always obsessed with weightloss and had a terrible bingeing habit, and my mom similarly had an emotional binging habit but was not obsessed with weight loss. I lived 50/50 at my mom's or dad's each month, and had tons of commuting and 2 very different lifestyles. At my mom's house it was WIC, wellfare, 99 cent store, soy and bread vegetarianism. At my dad's it was 'spend like we die tomorrow' restaurants every night, cupboard full of spaghettios and cookies.

In short I grew up with the worst possible view of and relationship with food. It was the enemy, it was the friend, it was the source of constant struggle. I learned secret eating early on, because if I told my mom what I ate at my dad's house I would be in big trouble. I was intensely paranoid about accidentally eating meat, which made every birthday party and school outing a nervous meltdown incident, with me checking for hidden meat. Sometimes I wanted to be like the other kids so bad I would eat it anyway, then have to carry the shameful secret inside and do anything to make sure my mom didn't know.

I am SO good at secret eating, binging, and hiding food / lying about food that to this day I do it almost compulsively. My binging is almost always triggered by emotional stress.

In Jan 2012 I went to the doctor and found out I weight 347 pounds. I was devastated. My whole life I had made pacts with myself... If I get to 200 lbs, I'll kill myself. If I get to 250, I'll kill myself. Etc etc. Obviously I never did, and nothing changed, and my weight was ever increasing.

I turned to the internet to figure out what to do, and somehow ended up on a paleo website. Eventually I found MDA, Whole30, and NomNomPaleo.

In April of 2012 my mom was suddenly struck totally numb in her right leg, and has been totally bedridden ever since. She weight about 400 pounds, at 5'6". It is incredibly difficult for her to get any kind of care or assistance, and almost impossible to get things like MRI's, EMT people cannot move her sometimes, and she has dozens of complications from her extreme obesity. One day while I was visiting her in the hospital she said "You have to do something. I can't see you end up like me." No better wake up call has EVER been given.

I lose 50 lbs between April and October, mainly through ketosis.

Now, I see my sister, about to turn 20, and she is on the same path my mom took, the same path I too was on. At 5'8" and just 19 years old, she already weighs FAR more than I did at her age. I am terrified for her but she will take no advice from me. She hates herself, cuts herself, is on all kinds of medications, has thyroid problems, anger issues, etc. She is a "vegetarian" like my mom still is (soy/bread based diet with very few actual veggies) and has terrible emotional binging habits. Her binges will last days or weeks because she has no control over her emotions. I would do just about anything to get my mom and sister to see that their "vegetarian" lifestyles have done nothing but hurt them, caused them tons of problems, and make them sick.

So this is why. I am tired of this cycle. I am tired of being too large to move myself gracefully. I want to be strong. I want to be the best me I can be, and to prove to my mom and my sister that you CAN, with hard work, come back from rock bottom.

My mom has an appointment with a neurosurgeon this wednesday so hopefully we will be finding out, finally, if any surgery can be performed.

Sorry that ended up really long.
    [SIZE=3][FONT=Century Gothic]You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ez2cy View Post
    Ok, one day down and I could do with some answers.....ANSWERS...I WANT ANSWERS PEOPLE ( just joking, it's the meds)

Joined MyFitnessPal as suggested. Don't like that it does not calculate strength training calories burnt but I'll live with it.

Now..so I understand. I ate 947 Cals. Fiber was 2, Fat 89, and Protein 45. So I'm guessing the numbers for Fiber, Fat and Protein is grams? Either way, I didn't eat enough fat to make 70 or 80%? Is that correct?

Also, someone posted and I saw it when I reserched it, that if you are on anti depresants, you shouldn't take 5HTP. Anyone have an idea how long one should stay off the meds before starting 5HTP?

Finally......one day complete but I'm not at my goal of 175 lbs.....What went wrong?
    89 gms fat * 9 calories per fat gram = 801 total calories from fat.

801 fat calories / 947 total calories = 84.5%

You did fine with your fat.

Protein was 19%
    Carbs was 2.9%

Great job. Before you ask, I have no idea why that all equals up to 106.4%. I only know that when I tally total calories based off of all your macros, I get 1009 total calories for the day, a 62 calorie difference. Check your food sources in the database against packaging the next time you buy. It could be that someone entered the information incorrectly (any item in the database with a * by it was manually entered by a user and could be innaccurate).

But, overall the percentages look really good. Even if the calories was 1006 for the day, you'd still show macros of F/P/C that look like this: 79.4/17.8/2.8
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Today, I seem to be doing much better. I passed out last night at 8:45 watching Top Gear UK. Apparently, male British accents make me sleepy. I think I sort of overloaded on fat last night, but I believe my body needed it. I made creamy chicken scampi for dinner and ate a lot of the extra sauce. Then, before I went to relax, I made a cup of tea with some CO. When I woke up this morning, I felt amazingly full. Am just now feeling hungry.
    Georgette