Page 36 of 282 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 36

Kymma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ez2cy View Post
    Enjoy reading this thread except for the MOE's, the QEI"s the WOE's, the SAD's, the MFP's...the etc etc
    LOL
    MOE - mode of eating
    QEI - no idea
    WOE - Way of eating
    SAD - Standard American Diet
    MFP - My Fitness Pal food tracking app

A few more:
    EMF = eat more fat
    LCHF - low carb, high fat
    VLC = very low carb
    NK - Nutritional Ketosis
    CW - Conventional Wisdom

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    Well, I can help with the last three. Way Of Eating, Standard Amaerican Diet and My Fitness Pal.

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    Well Kymma beat me to it and with much more info lol

Kymma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    I'm not going to stress over this. It is what it is.
    I am starting over too. We have all done extraordinarily well during one of the most intense eating seasons of the year. I am just recommitting to myself, and not worrying about slips backwards.

shrinkinglo is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddraig Goch View Post
    Kerrygold butter is about to become my new best friend as I have just realised it has the same fat grams but work out at half the price of coconut oil & macadamia nuts. I added 20g to my omelette this am & 20g to my soup at lunch. Worked well. However, I can only get salted kerrygold here - will 50g/day of salted take me over any salt intake guidelines? I never use salt in anything but keep finding lots of references on MDA to eat more salt so can't decide if this new intake will be a good or a bad thing

NB the packet says salt 2%

Draig - I think Sainsbury's does unsalted butter - but I like the salted version....I love a good dollop in my omlettes....

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Ya skipped one. HWC.
    Coffee and Heavy Whipping Cream.
    I my cup right now.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotato View Post
    Ah, wait... I didn't realize MFP wasn't including my "fitness goals" when it calculated my expected calories burned! So when I work out, I get more calories? I'm not sure if I have the patience for that... Maybe I'll just bump my calories up, since I've got a pretty predictable gym routine down.

Thanks for taking a look--that range looks right to me.
    I aim for the low end of my burn with light activity even though I sometimes get to moderate activity levels. I never add more food for more exercise.

shrinkinglo is offline Junior Member
    My Why?

Been playing the fat happy but dying inside role for the last 15 years and I need to remodel myself because I just feel restricted in every area of my life. Does not help that I am trying to run my own business. Does that make sense?

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    My Why..

I've been overweight since I was about 10. I remember the first time someone called me fat to my face, it was on the playground in 6th grade. I blocked a boy from making a basket and he called me a fat bitch. I will never forget his name or his face as he said that. My parents divorced when I was 4 and I had a very rocky childhood complicated with various kinds of abuse that I don't care to detail here. My stepmom was always obsessed with weightloss and had a terrible bingeing habit, and my mom similarly had an emotional binging habit but was not obsessed with weight loss. I lived 50/50 at my mom's or dad's each month, and had tons of commuting and 2 very different lifestyles. At my mom's house it was WIC, wellfare, 99 cent store, soy and bread vegetarianism. At my dad's it was 'spend like we die tomorrow' restaurants every night, cupboard full of spaghettios and cookies.

In short I grew up with the worst possible view of and relationship with food. It was the enemy, it was the friend, it was the source of constant struggle. I learned secret eating early on, because if I told my mom what I ate at my dad's house I would be in big trouble. I was intensely paranoid about accidentally eating meat, which made every birthday party and school outing a nervous meltdown incident, with me checking for hidden meat. Sometimes I wanted to be like the other kids so bad I would eat it anyway, then have to carry the shameful secret inside and do anything to make sure my mom didn't know.

I am SO good at secret eating, binging, and hiding food / lying about food that to this day I do it almost compulsively. My binging is almost always triggered by emotional stress.

In Jan 2012 I went to the doctor and found out I weight 347 pounds. I was devastated. My whole life I had made pacts with myself... If I get to 200 lbs, I'll kill myself. If I get to 250, I'll kill myself. Etc etc. Obviously I never did, and nothing changed, and my weight was ever increasing.

I turned to the internet to figure out what to do, and somehow ended up on a paleo website. Eventually I found MDA, Whole30, and NomNomPaleo.

In April of 2012 my mom was suddenly struck totally numb in her right leg, and has been totally bedridden ever since. She weight about 400 pounds, at 5'6". It is incredibly difficult for her to get any kind of care or assistance, and almost impossible to get things like MRI's, EMT people cannot move her sometimes, and she has dozens of complications from her extreme obesity. One day while I was visiting her in the hospital she said "You have to do something. I can't see you end up like me." No better wake up call has EVER been given.

I lose 50 lbs between April and October, mainly through ketosis.

Now, I see my sister, about to turn 20, and she is on the same path my mom took, the same path I too was on. At 5'8" and just 19 years old, she already weighs FAR more than I did at her age. I am terrified for her but she will take no advice from me. She hates herself, cuts herself, is on all kinds of medications, has thyroid problems, anger issues, etc. She is a "vegetarian" like my mom still is (soy/bread based diet with very few actual veggies) and has terrible emotional binging habits. Her binges will last days or weeks because she has no control over her emotions. I would do just about anything to get my mom and sister to see that their "vegetarian" lifestyles have done nothing but hurt them, caused them tons of problems, and make them sick.

So this is why. I am tired of this cycle. I am tired of being too large to move myself gracefully. I want to be strong. I want to be the best me I can be, and to prove to my mom and my sister that you CAN, with hard work, come back from rock bottom.

My mom has an appointment with a neurosurgeon this wednesday so hopefully we will be finding out, finally, if any surgery can be performed.

Sorry that ended up really long.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Okay - took a little detour yesterday --- Super Bowl Party!!! We did a Potato Bar - all primal toppings, but a bit heavy on the carbs. I also ate a few too many m&m's and a small brownie. Topped off the night with rum and diet coke.

So......... starting over today. The scale is a up a couple pounds. GRRRR.

Friday we're going on vacation so I will have to work hard at staying on target.

This thread is so hard to stay up on! I didn't check over the weekend - and I find 25 pages of new stuff! I can't read that much - so I'm just jumping back in here.

Hope y'all had a good weekend............
    Read post #2626
    my motivation