Page 279 of 282 FirstFirst ... 179229269277278279280281 ... LastLast
Results 2,781 to 2,790 of 2813

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 279

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Pony500 View Post
    Thanks Dragonfly--yes, I definitely have fodmaps issues and unfortunately, I can't really eat avocado either. Funny thing is, I don't really understand what is causing the IBS (loose bowels actually) except if some people just take a really long time to adapt to a higher fat diet. The other thing I really wonder about is if there is any truth to the metabolic typing thing and if some people do better with higher carb or higher protein. It may explain all the people that do seem to do better with a higher carb diet. I don't plan on stopping this diet--I like it and I really like all the health benefits that come with it. I just wish my digestive tract would just settle down!

And the one other thing that I am not feeling yet is this all day energy that people are talking about on NK. I am still feeling tired here and there. My cravings are gone and that in itself is a huge relief, and in the first few weeks, I seemed to have more energy and now I am more tired. But, I did just start taking bouillon, so it could be that.
    You need to give NK more time. It takes 6weeks to 6months for keto adaptation.

And if you don't eliminate FODMAPS, you won't know if it is them or fat causing your loose bowels. Try a meat and egg diet for a week.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleo Goth View Post
    Is anyone still doing nutritional ketosis? I have just started. Did you start with 80-90% calories from fat for several days, then switch to more like 60-70% of calories from fat after that? For those of you that included dairy, did you still lose inches?
    I've been doing it continuously for about a year. On and off before that. I don't think there's any need to push the macros that high in fat. I'm at about 75/20/5. I am finding that dairy may be a hindrance and am in the process of cutting it out for a trial to see for sure. It probably is not as much about the macros as it is about dairy being very calorie dense and easy to overeat.

Is anyone still doing nutritional ketosis? I have just started. Did you start with 80-90% calories from fat for several days, then switch to more like 60-70% of calories from fat after that? For those of you that included dairy, did you still lose inches?
    I'm still in ketosis. 7weeks and counting!

I keep to approx 80% fat most of the time. For the next two weeks, I am only eating meat and eggs and limiting added fat, so I can drop a few last pounds of body fat. I do eat dairy, but am limiting cream and butter and not eating cheese right now, just to keep the fat down. Once I get to maintenance, I will up my fats again.

Paleo Goth is offline Member
    Paleobird: I agree about the "dairy being easy to overeat! It upsets my stomach if I overdo it, for sure!
    Dragonfly: will only getting your fat from meat sources (in absence of added fat) cause you to lose weight? Do you think that overeating protein can stall fat loss?
    Thank you for responding, btw!
    Last edited by Paleo Goth; 07-21-2013 at 03:57 PM. Reason: changed "weight loss" to "fat loss"

Paleobird: I agree about the "dairy being easy to overeat! It upsets my stomach if I overdo it, for sure!
    Dragonfly: will only getting your fat from meat sources (in absence of added fat) cause you to lose weight? Do you think that overeating protein can stall fat loss?
    Thank you for responding, btw!
    You are welcome!

Without sufficient fat calories from food sources, my body should draw from my body fat stores--assuming all my hormones are working properly! So far so good.

I am not eating more protein or carbs than usual (60-70 prtein, 30-40 carbs), so I should stay in ketosis and judging from my keto-breath, that is exactly what is happening.

I have tried a protein-sparing modified fast before, but it was too difficult. Now that I am keto-adapted, it is much easier.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 07-21-2013 at 04:14 PM.

Paleo Goth is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    You are welcome!

Without sufficient fat calories from food sources, my body should draw from my body fat stores--assuming all my hormones are working properly! So far so good.

I am not eating more protein or carbs than usual (60-70 prtein, 30-40 carbs), so I should stay in ketosis and judging from my keto-breath, that is exactly what is happening.

I have tried a protein-sparing modified fast before, but it was too difficult. Now that I am keto-adapted, it is much easier.
    Okay, good luck, Dragonfly! I hope this very low carb, high fat can get my urge to drink beer under control, and my horrid menstrual cramps lessened. Without the carbs from beer, my macros automatically fall into the keto range. What do you like to eat for your carbs?

Okay, good luck, Dragonfly! I hope this very low carb, high fat can get my urge to drink beer under control, and my horrid menstrual cramps lessened. Without the carbs from beer, my macros automatically fall into the keto range. What do you like to eat for your carbs?
    Because I am FODMAPS intolerant, I get most of my carbs via liver, a small amount of sugar in my tea and dark chocolate. Oh and occasional raw goats milk, which I can digest in small amounts.

Pony500 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Because I am FODMAPS intolerant, I get most of my carbs via liver, a small amount of sugar in my tea and dark chocolate. Oh and occasional raw goats milk, which I can digest in small amounts.
    Dragonfly, are you not eating any veggies at all? I think I will take your suggestion and try that. I have all the lists of the FODMAPs foods and I don't eat them. I know avocado is kind of iffy and I hadn't eaten it for a very long time, then just last week I wanted to try it and it wasn't bad--a little gurgling, but that was about it. I am almost thinking my issue is veggies. We had a salad last night with meat, homemade mayo and some sauteed kale and I was in the bathroom already at 6am with very bad diarrhea. So, something is not right. My husband thinks it's the veggies--I was thinking it was the mayo.

Then, because I am still feeling tired, I was reading about serotonin and how those of us who were really sugar/carb addicted could have depleted our serotonin. Then, when we go on a VLC diet, it can effect us more because now we're not supplying carbs for serotonin. I do have The Diet Cure book, The Schwarzbein Principle, GAPS book and Primal Body, Primal Mind. I'm just trying to figure out what to do and what to eat. I know Pebbles had some issues with NK and moods and binges, so there may be something to this. I'm not sure if maybe I should have gone LC more gradually or what--I have to read more. I didn't think my body was that messed up, but now I am feeling like it is, but it is taking a long time to figure out what to eat and exactly how to heal it and where to start. I know that grains, fruit and FODMAPs make me feel really bad and that's all I know for sure right now. I just had a small breakfast with pork sausage and two HB eggs with only a little bit of ghee added, so I just want to see what happens. I think I will stay away from any veggies for the week and see how that goes and get carbs from nuts and almond butter instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Pony500 View Post
    Dragonfly, are you not eating any veggies at all? I think I will take your suggestion and try that. I have all the lists of the FODMAPs foods and I don't eat them. I know avocado is kind of iffy and I hadn't eaten it for a very long time, then just last week I wanted to try it and it wasn't bad--a little gurgling, but that was about it. I am almost thinking my issue is veggies. We had a salad last night with meat, homemade mayo and some sauteed kale and I was in the bathroom already at 6am with very bad diarrhea. So, something is not right. My husband thinks it's the veggies--I was thinking it was the mayo.

Then, because I am still feeling tired, I was reading about serotonin and how those of us who were really sugar/carb addicted could have depleted our serotonin. Then, when we go on a VLC diet, it can effect us more because now we're not supplying carbs for serotonin. I do have The Diet Cure book, The Schwarzbein Principle, GAPS book and Primal Body, Primal Mind. I'm just trying to figure out what to do and what to eat. I know Pebbles had some issues with NK and moods and binges, so there may be something to this. I'm not sure if maybe I should have gone LC more gradually or what--I have to read more. I didn't think my body was that messed up, but now I am feeling like it is, but it is taking a long time to figure out what to eat and exactly how to heal it and where to start. I know that grains, fruit and FODMAPs make me feel really bad and that's all I know for sure right now. I just had a small breakfast with pork sausage and two HB eggs with only a little bit of ghee added, so I just want to see what happens. I think I will stay away from any veggies for the week and see how that goes and get carbs from nuts and almond butter instead.
    Here's a blog post on my diet:
    What I eat. - Sondra Rose: Happy Mind

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    I've been using dairy and I haven't had any issues so far. Every other day I'll have a fat shake made with heavy whipping cream and I eat 4 ounces of cheese just about every day. I also use butter.