Page 278 of 280 FirstFirst ... 178228268276277278279280 LastLast
Results 2,771 to 2,780 of 2797

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 278

aprimalmomma is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    So I've been trying to analyze why I completely overate the other day...and I keep going back to the Vitamin D connection...getting daily sun seemed to cut my binge urge for almost 2.5 weeks and the past week has been very rainy and I haven't gotten any sun since Saturday so it make sense that by Wed maybe I was running low...I'm going to get a vitamin d supplement and see if it helps for days that I can't get any natural sunlight...sun seemed like the only factor that changed my need to eat a crapton every 2-3 days and I think I accidentally tested and reconfirmed this n=1 theory with a strong of rainy days and the the eating urge...doesn't anyone else notice this connection?

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Aprilmomma , I keep my D3 level on the high end of normal to keep my asthma symptoms away, so I don't have your particular experience, but I do know how powerful D3 is.

It helps with blood glucose control, among many things, so it makes sense that it would help with cravings.

Get your blood level tested! Optimal is 50-60 ng/ml. Sounds like you are deficient, if just a few days without sun can throw you off. Lots of info at www.vitamindcouncil.org

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    I've been thinking of going keto. I am 31, 6'1" and weigh 103 kg. I am a male. If I take the percentages from the first post

Protein: 86 + 10% = 95 grams
    Carbs: 86 / 2 = 43 grams (this is going to suck)
    Fats: 86 x 2 = 172 grams

BMR: 2197
    I plan on being sedentary until my body adjusts.

Also, should I carb refeed every one or two weeks to replenish glycogen and reignite metabolism to avoid a plateau?
    Last edited by Paleo0731; 06-29-2013 at 02:01 AM.

Personally, I wouldn't do a carb refeed during adaptation, if at all. It's really not necessary and will just slow down adaptation and weight loss.

And don't count calories! Just eat until barely full most days and then have a day every other week where you really chow down, while staying in keto.

The Protein Power blog has a great 2part low carb tips that is a must-read:

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/k...low-carb-pt-i/
    http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/s...ow-carb-pt-ii/

Read more about ketosis at Peter Attia's brilliant blog at Eating Academy here:

Nutrition & Health Archives The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 06-29-2013 at 05:40 AM.

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Dragonfly, based more on Phinney & Volek's books. They indicate that yes, you can switch back and forth between sugar burning and fat burning quickly (good thing, since otherwise we'd be very dead very quickly). But ketosis takes longer - the body doesn't switch into this separate metabolic pathway quickly, but rather takes 2-3 weeks to do it. Whether that's the time to cascade a series of signals, each enabling a shift, I don't know. But that's their guidance, and they've been living with and researching ketosis for years.

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member
    I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but this thread is huge lol.

Where do you find zinc chloride recommended in the art of low carb performance? thanks!

Pony500 is offline Member
    Hey guys,

I have been fairly low carb primal and lurking on MDA for a couple of years, although I haven't really been posting at all. I've also been reading everything I can get my eyes on along with V&P's books and Peter Attia's blog. Then, I spent the last 3-4 days reading the whole Eat Moar Fat thread and this thread. I've been trying keto for probably a month now--I've lost maybe 3lbs. I'm 51, 5'6" and currently weigh 150. I was 135 last year, so I know I can get there. I'm sure my hormones have helped in my weight gain, but also, I fell off the wagon pretty bad for the last year, eating things like organic cookies and organic blue corn chips and bread and pasta here and there (because I have a serious sugar/carb addiction).

Anyway, I was fascinated with Ron Rosedale's work and all the health implications of the KD and mostly want to do this for health and of course to try and lose those 15lbs. I also have some digestive issues, fodmaps, lactose intolerance and some IBS, so my food needs to be more limited (no fruit, no dairy and certainly getting rid of grains was a Godsend!). Funny how it seems when you're eating what you think is really healthy, like a BAS, it doesn't always end well for me. Not all the time though, but anyway, I do have a finicky digestive system that I am trying to heal. So, I do better with cooked veggies, cooked kale, cooked spinach. I can eat maybe 1/2 an avocado in a week, but more than that and my belly grumbles (which sucks because I love them).

So, in the time I've been trying NK, I am still having some IBS issues, which is surprising and makes me wonder if some people just take a much longer time to adapt to higher fat? I have certainly been a sugar burner for most of my life and certainly haven't eaten high fat, but for at least the last year, I have been eating higher fat (along with higher sugar and too much wine), so I would think I'd be used to fat by now.

Other than that, I feel pretty good. I have been working out 2x week and doing sprints once a week along with walking my dogs 2 miles probably at least 4-5 days a week. I also have a treadmill desk and either stand or walk at work for at least 50% of the day. I'm a bit miffed that I haven't lost more weight, but going through all these threads, I can see that I am going in the right direction and just need to be patient. I think the only thing that is bothering me still is my IBS issue and the fact that I think I was eating too much protein in the beginning, so I think I was in that zone of misery. I'm not about to stop eating this way--I think even with my minor IBS issues, my gut is the happiest it's been and for the most part, I do have a good amount of energy, but I still have the afternoon slump (sometimes falling asleep at my desk), so not sure if that is the sodium thing, but I did buy some bouillon this weekend and have started that. Love these threads though, they have been immensely helpful!!

So, what I am doing is more like a ketogenic Whole30 without fruit and limited nuts and I think it is working! I'm trying to stay around 1400-1500 cal a day with 30g carbs and 60-65g protein and maybe 120-125g fat.
    Last edited by Pony500; 07-21-2013 at 10:05 AM.

Pony500- re: IBS sympotoms: Sounds like you may be FODMAPS intolerant like me.

Here's a link for you:
    FODMAPs, IBS and the Paleo diet.

Paleo Goth is offline Member
    Is anyone still doing nutritional ketosis? I have just started. Did you start with 80-90% calories from fat for several days, then switch to more like 60-70% of calories from fat after that? For those of you that included dairy, did you still lose inches?

Pony500 is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Pony500- re: IBS sympotoms: Sounds like you may be FODMAPS intolerant like me.

Here's a link for you:
    FODMAPs, IBS and the Paleo diet.

Thanks Dragonfly--yes, I definitely have fodmaps issues and unfortunately, I can't really eat avocado either. Funny thing is, I don't really understand what is causing the IBS (loose bowels actually) except if some people just take a really long time to adapt to a higher fat diet. The other thing I really wonder about is if there is any truth to the metabolic typing thing and if some people do better with higher carb or higher protein. It may explain all the people that do seem to do better with a higher carb diet. I don't plan on stopping this diet--I like it and I really like all the health benefits that come with it. I just wish my digestive tract would just settle down!

And the one other thing that I am not feeling yet is this all day energy that people are talking about on NK. I am still feeling tired here and there. My cravings are gone and that in itself is a huge relief, and in the first few weeks, I seemed to have more energy and now I am more tired. But, I did just start taking bouillon, so it could be that.
    Last edited by Pony500; 07-21-2013 at 03:13 PM.