Page 277 of 282 FirstFirst ... 177227267275276277278279 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,770 of 2813

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 277

trail_runner is offline Junior Member
    Hi everybody,

I have just started eating for nutritional ketosis, today is day 5. I'm a novice ultra runner who also likes to lift heavy things. For the last 5 months, I've been running 40-50 miles a week on trails (with up to 7 or 8 of those miles being some combination of sprints, hill sprints, or just general faster than easy runs, but mostly I run at a pace where I can not only converse but can recite monologues ) and doing crossfit/ lifting heavy things 3-5 days a week. So physically I am in pretty good shape, but I feel like I am constantly fighting the urge to eat more carbs and I know from experience that if I do I'll rapidly gain weight.

Previously:
    My diet for the last 5 years has been fairly close to primal or paleo ... basically I've been eating real whole foods. I was eating 100-200g daily carbs (rice, sweat potatoes, veggies) with weekly carb binges of 400+ carbs (on long run/ race days, typically includes "bad" stuff like pizza) and around 150g of protein a day, and have been able to maintain my current weight- 155 lbs at 5'4"- for the last 2 years (I was 200lbs 5 years ago). But I struggle to keep myself from eating enormous amounts of carbs. And I am tired to constantly fighting this. And yes I am totally aware that I would likely thin out and lose a lot of my carb cravings if I quit running but there is something about running through the woods that satisfies me in a way nothing else has.

Goals:
    After reading a bunch on Peter Attria's website I'm interested in seeing how well I do in nutritional ketosis. I already run fairly well on "low" (for a distance runner) amounts of carbs, but I'd really like to lose 10-15? lbs, and not need a constant influx of sugar when racing. Since my preferred distance is the 50k (~32 miles), which for me is currently a 6-8 hour fairly low intensity endeavor, I think this may work well for me. And I hope it will lessen the intestinal issues I sometimes have while running. I won't be racing over the summer, just base building, so I figure this is a good time to experiment.

So far:
    I'm eating 30-40g total carbs a day... except for 2 days ago when I was oddly ravenous and ate 3600 cal (which added up to 80g carbs, though the ratios were pretty good I think at 80F, 8C, 12P)
    Protein is ~70-80g per day
    Total calories eating as much as I want: 2000-2300 with that one day at 3600.
    I was feeling pretty tired, but not today! I am actually having a little trouble sitting still.
    So far I am still running well. My easy pace is a little slower than usual, but that may be partly due to highish heat and humidity.

Stuff I am trying to figure out:
    I'm not sure how much sodium I need. It is hot and humid here so I lose a lot through sweat, but even drinking a glass of broth I'm under 3000mg sodium (according to FitDay where I am tracking everything I eat). I was feeling weird until I added the broth, but I'm not sure how to tell if I need more.

I intend to eat as much as I want, but I need to figure out what to do on days I eat a lot to stay under 50 carbs and not over do the protein. Any yummy, filling, fat only snack ideas?

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Welcome!

Stuff I am trying to figure out:
    I'm not sure how much sodium I need. It is hot and humid here so I lose a lot through sweat, but even drinking a glass of broth I'm under 3000mg sodium (according to FitDay where I am tracking everything I eat). I was feeling weird until I added the broth, but I'm not sure how to tell if I need more.

I intend to eat as much as I want, but I need to figure out what to do on days I eat a lot to stay under 50 carbs and not over do the protein. Any yummy, filling, fat only snack ideas?
    I have found it's trial & error as far as sodium/potassium and magnesium, since our needs are so individual.

What works for me is to salt all my cooked food with sea salt, 400 mg Magnesium before bed and bone broth a few times a week. I can't eat much fruit due to FODMAPS-intolerance, but if you can, avocados are a decent source of potassium (and fat!) Or bananas pre-exercise would work.

If you need a bit more boost in your carbs as you transition, worry not! Just eat them before a run/workout and your blood glucose won't be spiked so much.

Some folk do better dropping the carbs cold turkey, others need more of a transition, or they tend to binge.

I eat a lot of brie, iced creamy cocoa (cream with coco, sweetener to taste), and paté. I would eat avocado/guacamole if I could!

Oh and here's Peter @ Hyperlipid's chocolate butter recipe (UK measurements!):
    One 100gm chocolate bar (85% or 90%), One 250gm block of economy butter, 45ml double cream, 15 or 30ml honey and some vanilla. Melt, pour in to an ice cube tray, freeze, pop out of tray while frozen, keep in fridge until consumed, not very long...

trail_runner is offline Junior Member
    Thanks!

I already eat an avocado a day... yummmm... love avocados. Cheese tends to cause me problems, but cream doesn't. The creamy cocoa sounds both awesome and easy. I'm going to have to try that.

DBMX925 is offline Junior Member
    Ok my story 54 yo Male here.......... been doing this about a month now. Initial weight loss of 5 lbs. yoyo around still at the same weight.

Very sedentary..... 10 to 13 hrs a day at a desk 6 days a week. I don't have much time or energy to do anything after work....

Using MY Plate to track foods, been 150 grams fat, 75 grams protein and under 50 with carbs. What gives?

Any suggestions guys or gals? Weight loss seems difficult if not impossible with just diet change and no increase in exercise.

Seems making a living is getting in the way of having a life.
    Last edited by DBMX925; 06-11-2013 at 03:55 AM.

aprimalmomma is offline Senior Member
    I finally took my free nova max ketone blood meter out of the box...i got a reading of 4.0...there is no guideline in the kit (except for ketoacidosis)...can anyone give me guidance on what this means...tx

Sent from my PG06100 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by DBMX925 View Post
    Ok my story 54 yo Male here.......... been doing this about a month now. Initial weight loss of 5 lbs. yoyo around still at the same weight.

Very sedentary..... 10 to 13 hrs a day at a desk 6 days a week. I don't have much time or energy to do anything after work....

Using MY Plate to track foods, been 150 grams fat, 75 grams protein and under 50 with carbs. What gives?

Any suggestions guys or gals? Weight loss seems difficult if not impossible with just diet change and no increase in exercise.

Seems making a living is getting in the way of having a life.
    Your calories seem a bit low for a man, how tall are you? Weight?

You may not be eating enough. And your protein could be too high. How did you figure it?

Can you work in some gentle walking? It's a great way to ramp up your metabolism. Getting a pedometer and wearing it all day with the goal of 10,000 steps is a way to encourage more movement.

My body weight workout takes me 15 min once a week. Check out the free PB Fitness PDF on the Blog page.

Quote Originally Posted by aprimalmomma View Post
    I finally took my free nova max ketone blood meter out of the box...i got a reading of 4.0...there is no guideline in the kit (except for ketoacidosis)...can anyone give me guidance on what this means...tx

For keto diets or fasting, the range seems to be .5mmol to 5.0 mmol. So you are doing great!

Here's a link with more info: Ketones

DBMX925 is offline Junior Member
    5'11" 245 around 2000 calories a day, not losing because to low calories? I've read about that, I'll check out the fitness page.

Thanks

aprimalmomma is offline Senior Member
    So last nite I had what I'd like to call a caloric readjustment...I ate about 800-1000c over what I had been doing...but basically all meat and fat...3tb butter 4 sausage meatballs, 2 hb eggs, some pork rinds, handful of almonts, 2tb cream...just couldnt find satiety...

I'm up 2lbs today but I keep telling myself that 1k xtra calories doesn't a 2lb fat gain make and this is probably just bloat and since I'm eating normally at a 300-400 cal deficit, it relly is only 700ish cal over...wondering why I felt such a lack of satiety but maybe undereating and if I divide these cal over 7 days maybe I need to up my daily allotment by 100-150...dont know...most days the 1100-1200 range feels fine...

Do those of you who are keto adapted and have decreased appetites ever experience days like this?

Yesterday blood ketones were 4.0...today 1.3 : (

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Aprilmomma, right before my period, I am always insatiable! I go with it and keep my carbs down. It all melts off as soon as my hormones shift and my period starts.

Yeah, the extra protein could have been the factor in lowering your ketones. Also, once you are keto-adapted, your body will be more efficient at using those ketones and your number will go down anyway.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 06-13-2013 at 09:18 AM.