Page 276 of 282 FirstFirst ... 176226266274275276277278 ... LastLast
Results 2,751 to 2,760 of 2813

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 276

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardCook View Post
    Interested to visit a daily meal plan from a few of you working with 60-80% daily fat. Not sure how you execute this, while keeping protein low, without drinking oil or merely spooning enormous scoops of butter in your mouth.
    Best Protein Powder For Fat Loss | Warrior Whey
    Hehe, I am not super high fat / ketogenic but you can try this:

- get a lot of dry shredded coconut. The one I buy contains 66% fat, that's a lot! Never mind the carbs or proteins (about 1/10 the amount of fat).
    - place about 400g of the dried coconut into a powerful blender (Vitamix)
    - add 2 bananas and 2tsp vanilla extract, or ditch the bananas and use unsweetened chocolate instead
    - add a little bit of sweetener if you want, especially if you used unsweetened chocolate
    - add maybe 3-4 Tbsp of melted coconut oil

Blend for a few minutes until you get a homogenous dough-like thingy. Put it in the fridge for a good 24 hours or until the sat fat hardens enough. You will get some sort of nougat like thing that you can stuff yourself with without realizing that you probably went overboard with your daily Cal amount ...

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    Hehe, I am not super high fat / ketogenic but you can try this:

- get a lot of dry shredded coconut. The one I buy contains 66% fat, that's a lot! Never mind the carbs or proteins (about 1/10 the amount of fat).
    - place about 400g of the dried coconut into a powerful blender (Vitamix)
    - add 2 bananas and 2tsp vanilla extract, or ditch the bananas and use unsweetened chocolate instead
    - add a little bit of sweetener if you want, especially if you used unsweetened chocolate
    - add maybe 3-4 Tbsp of melted coconut oil

Blend for a few minutes until you get a homogenous dough-like thingy. Put it in the fridge for a good 24 hours or until the sat fat hardens enough. You will get some sort of nougat like thing that you can stuff yourself with without realizing that you probably went overboard with your daily Cal amount ...
    James, that is the least ketogenic snack I have ever seen-especially with bananas! LOL!

Try this (from Peter at Hyperlipid):
    Chocolate butter:One 100gm chocolate bar (85% or 90%), One 250gm block of economy butter, 45ml double cream, 15 or 30ml honey and some vanilla. Melt, pour in to an ice cube tray, freeze, pop out of tray while frozen, keep in fridge until consumed, not very long...
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 06-07-2013 at 09:53 AM.

OMG, Dragonfly, that sounds absolutely amazing, I must try it!
    Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost. - Neil Gaiman

My journal
    iHerb.com code LBN037 - $10 off your first purchase

aprimalmomma is offline Senior Member
    Hi all - I've been reading through this thread every spare minute since Monday and I'm a little more than halfway through. I "found" primal in January of this year after looking for help with severe, severe bloating...went to tons of docs and nothing is "wrong" but I am a relative lean person with a 6 month pg belly...long story short...started SCD diet, then went to atkins, started reading many books...lyle macdonald, PP, new atkins...PB and that seemed the most livable and made the most sense...gained 7 lbs since going primal and starting having binge episodes which I have never experienced prior and frankly scared the s out of me...tried to do keto in Feb/March but i would do well for 2-3 days then whammo, I'd crazy overeat...sometimes primally and on a few occasions total carb and sugar fest which would lead to nausea and heart palp...I think I have a real problem with digesting carbs and when I looked at the fodmaps chart, I realized that all the veggies I ate were on the wrong side...so I decided to go back to keto and then slowly, one at a time introduce the fodmaps veggies on the low side...well 3 days in, my stomach is completely flat and I'm down 2.5 lbs...just having protein, kg butter, and romaine hearts and cukes

I think when I was doing keto before I was in that low carb limbo thing because I realize now from reading this blog that my protein was too high...I think I was stuck in the old atkins mentality of eat all the meat you want lol...I thought I needed to eat = amonts of protein and fat grams....now I see it is actually a 2 to 1 ratio...so I'm thinking that the excess protein converted to glucose and that ultimately let to the 2-3 day overeating cycle...we'll see...

So now my aim is to eat U1200 cal, 100g fat 50g protein and 15-20g carbs...have hit that give or take a few grams for the past 3 days...I am also fasting until 2ish and having lunch and dinner...so far so good but I am hoping to make it a week without a whamo...and add to that

Run or bike 2-3 days a week, lift weights 2-3 days a week...try to walk at lunch 1-2 days a week...take the Calton Nutrition daily vitamin supplement am and pm and fish oil, probiotics and digestive enzymes...42 yo female

Goals:

1. No more binging...but going to make this a week to week goal...so far 3 days down
    2. lose those 7lbs and 4% bf that I gained since starting pb
    3. Find my bloating triggers

A couple of questions

1. If I feel hungry or unsatisfied is it better to go over macros in fat or protein?
    2. On days I lift weights should I increase calories or is it ok to stay at regular level?
    3. If I don't feel super hungry for dinner should I skip it or is that likely to make me ravenous the next day? It only happened the 1st day that I didn't feel hunger but I ate the meal anyway because i was afraid I would go crazy the next day...but would appreciate others thoughts on this
    4. I eat little pinches of sea salt through the fast and drink mineral water...does bone broth break the fast (how many calories) and does it have to be gf bones bc that might be tough to come by...
    5. What is the cheapest online US source of gf meat?

Thanks all and I'm glad I finally found this thread and now I have the ratios right I'm hoping to be a nk success story.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Hi and welcome,

1. Fat then protein.
    2. I think your cals may be too low for heavy exercise days. If you end up binging, you'll know.
    3. I found that getting in all my meals helped lessen the binges. Others here will tell you not to eat when not hungry. Self experimentation is key.
    4. Some believe that any calories break the fast. I now IF 2 days a week until dinner. I have zero calories until then. It is better that way for me.
    5. No idea.

Good Luck!

Aprilmomma~
    1. Agree with Pebbles!
    2. Ditto
    3. By trusting my hunger signals, I am eating far less, without feeling deprived/binging.
    4. My understanding is that if you eat or drink fat only, your body can't tell the difference between body fat or food fat. So fat loss will be slightly decreased, but you will still get all the other benefits of fasting. So some heavy cream in tea or coffee will be fine.
    Search for pklopp's brilliant intermittent fasting primer on the forum for more details.
    5. Check out Eat Wild for GF meat producers nearby. I have found that our local farms are a lot cheaper than online. If that doesn't work for you, check out Slankers.

Oh, and get your Vitamin D level checked. Sun/supplement to 50-60 ng/ml to help with blood sugar control/fat loss. Also make sure you get sufficient Magnesium!
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 06-08-2013 at 06:46 AM.

kalli889 is offline Senior Member
    If you can't find gf bones or bone broth, I've found an organic brand of broth (that is delicious) to get your salt: Rapunzel. Sooo good. And if I don't have enough salt I get light-headed or woozy.
    My Leptin Reset Journey

Current BF%: 35
    Goal BF%: 20-23

kalli889 is offline Senior Member
    (Posted on wrong thread...)
    My Leptin Reset Journey

Current BF%: 35
    Goal BF%: 20-23

aprimalmomma is offline Senior Member
    I think I have finally found my n=1!!! After 6 months of strugglng and watching the scale only go up...I think I have finally found the answer...primal, fodmaps, NK done correctly and SUN...I have been eating vlc for a while...veggies only, but was eating a 10-12oz steak or portion of meat for dinner...now that I rebalanced my macros and realized that NK means about 70-80% fat...and 4-5 oz protein for my 2 meals or 4 eggs, I think I have found the magic...3lb loss in 4 days, decreased appetite and decent energy...

I definitely think I was deficient in vitamin d because I was in CO for a long weekend 2 weeks ago and got a lot of sun and haveLt had a binge urge since...prior I was overeating every 2-3 days...since I've only done NK for 4 days I know that the sun must be what took those urges away...I am trying to spend 20-30 minutes in the sun every day that I can...

It feels so good to not have to obsess on what Im eating, my weight etc. For months I`ve been on mda and other sites every spare moment trying to find answers and it is sooo liberating now just to go through my day without this constantly in my thoughts! Will still check mda but on a much more limited basis and feel so free to just live life now...I know this pace of weight loss won't continue but to know things are headed in the right direction and that I've finally started to hack my n=1 formula feels great. I'm testing a low fodmaps veggie a day to see what I can have that doesn't cause the severe bloating...but it is just so great to have a flatish, soft stomach again and to feel in control of my appetite!

Thanks to whoever started this thread because I finally realize that NK is about fat not protein...and that was key for me to get through my head. Also eating less protein will help with the food budget now that a 10oz grassfed steak is 2 meals instead of 1...$5/dinner is completely reasonable...of course my butter budget just doubled lol