Page 275 of 281 FirstFirst ... 175225265273274275276277 ... LastLast
Results 2,741 to 2,750 of 2806

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 275

DBMX925 is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Pebbles and others, I have been scanning the post for a couple of days and saw that NK wasn't working for some of you, Do you have a minute to explain? Thanks

Albany area here..........

amswan is offline Junior Member
    Lizard,

I am also from South Africa. You can find Coconut milk and Coconut Cream from Checkers. It is a Pot'o Gold Brand.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Why I am not Keto anymore...

Great question.

NK worked great for weight loss. I lost 30 lbs in about 3 months. It also got me back on track after a year of gaining weight due to uncontrolled binging.

But, though it lessened the binges, it still didn't end them. I would eat clean NK for a couple of weeks and then have a sugar free for all. The extremes were causing severe health issues. I was also having really bad mood swings surrounding my period. I am perimenopausal. It is possible that NK might be better for me after menopause.

I believe that my binges are mostly hormonal and nutritional. I decided to follow the recommendations of Julia Ross "The Diet Cure" for healing binge disorders. Now most days I eat 75-100 grams of carb. 2-3 days a week I do get into ketosis with an IF until dinner. I have been doing this new plan for about a month and it was the right move for me, but that should not deter anyone from doing their own self experimentation with NK.

PS DBMX925, I'm near Kingston...practically neighbors. : )
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 06-04-2013 at 08:39 AM.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

amswan is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    Primal123, I don't eat any vegetables, and while the last couple of Fridays
    I've had wine and bad carbs, those days are the ONLY days that I've actually
    EATEN carbs.

Than, you know, what lurks in egg yolks and hard cheeses.

Zero carb is not new to me at all. I had a stint of it a couple years ago for
    about 8months.

Besides my indiscretions this last month, I seem to be going back to zero
    carb as I am not craving ANY vegetables and have not TOUCHED a veggie
    at all either.

I think I MAY have had a couple of strawberries at one point, but that was it.

I feel fantastic (always do, going vlc or zc), so I think if you want to try it,
    try it!

If you start feeling weird or nasty or something, then just stop.

Have you been to the Dirty Carnivore site yet? Lots of zero carbers
    there, or super low carbers that just add spices and stuff to their meats, not
    a pile of veggies.

For those of you that are having bathroom troubles, like many have said, magnesium
    works.

But instead of just taking a certain amount at bed time or in the middle of the day, try
    taking it three times a day. Like 400mg when you wake up, 400mg at lunch time and then
    400mg when you go to bed.

ALWAYS with a big ass glass of water.

If that doesn't start something in the right direction, I will throw myself to the wolves
    on your account. Promise.

I used to have to do that (the magnesium, not the wolves) and now I'm just down to 400mg
    at bed time.

Julie
    Julie,

Do you eat low protein, high fat, zero carb?

kalli889 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Why I am not Keto anymore...

Great question.

NK worked great for weight loss. I lost 30 lbs in about 3 months. It also got me back on track after a year of gaining weight due to uncontrolled binging.

But, though it lessened the binges, it still didn't end them. I would eat clean NK for a couple of weeks and then have a sugar free for all. The extremes were causing severe health issues. I was also having really bad mood swings surrounding my period. I am perimenopausal. It is possible that NK might be better for me after menopause.

I believe that my binges are mostly hormonal and nutritional. I decided to follow the recommendations of Julia Ross "The Diet Cure" for healing binge disorders. Now most days I eat 75-100 grams of carb. 2-3 days a week I do get into ketosis with an IF until dinner. I have been doing this new plan for about a month and it was the right move for me, but that should not deter anyone from doing their own self experimentation with NK.

PS DBMX925, I'm near Kingston...practically neighbors. : )
    Ooh, I'm glad you found something that is working better for you. I knew you had moved on, but I didn't know to what. <3
    My Leptin Reset Journey

Current BF%: 35
    Goal BF%: 20-23

Paleobird Guest
    About being nearly ZC, I second what Julie (aka InSearchOfAbs) said about the Dirty Carnivore site. They are people who embrace being a carnivore but don't get fanatical about it. (Unlike the Zeroing in on Health site where there are some serious wingnuts).

I have been eating nearly all my calories from animal products for quite a while now and I find the greatest thing about it is that it makes counting carb grams a non issue.

It really is interesting when you change your perception of veggies from being this indispensable thing without which health is not possible to being something that can enhance the flavor of the meal (the meat) or serve as a garnish or condiment but is not really that central to your eating.

After not eating much in the way of veggies for a while, my digestive system is the happiest it has ever been. And when I did a couple of high veggie days in a row (vegetarian friends visiting) I felt all plugged up and bloated. I still eat a salad if it comes with a dinner out or a friend has prepared it but my big salad bowl at home which used to be in daily use doesn't get much love these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    About being nearly ZC, I second what Julie (aka InSearchOfAbs) said about the Dirty Carnivore site. They are people who embrace being a carnivore but don't get fanatical about it. (Unlike the Zeroing in on Health site where there are some serious wingnuts).

I have been eating nearly all my calories from animal products for quite a while now and I find the greatest thing about it is that it makes counting carb grams a non issue.

It really is interesting when you change your perception of veggies from being this indispensable thing without which health is not possible to being something that can enhance the flavor of the meal (the meat) or serve as a garnish or condiment but is not really that central to your eating.

After not eating much in the way of veggies for a while, my digestive system is the happiest it has ever been. And when I did a couple of high veggie days in a row (vegetarian friends visiting) I felt all plugged up and bloated. I still eat a salad if it comes with a dinner out or a friend has prepared it but my big salad bowl at home which used to be in daily use doesn't get much love these days.
    Paleobird...can you share what your typical diet looks like in a day?

I'm am on the fence...Yesterday I tried to eat more fat 80 grams and less protein 70 grams while carbs sat around 20grams. I know I should of eaten more fat because I was hungry last night.

I am trying to see if I can make a difference in my body doing things this way...just seems strange to eat a bunch of fat but I will give it a go...

So far I ate a few bites of sausage this morning. 1 cup of coffee with tb. of cream.

2" square of cocoa crack made with CO

2 cups of salad mixed with a few olives, chopped tomato, little avocado, oil dressing and 2 eggs with several tablespoons of majo and a little mustard....

I just ate the above but still feeling hungry...geeze, what gives.
    Last edited by tinacristina; 06-04-2013 at 02:44 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tinacristina View Post
    Paleobird...can you share what your typical diet looks like in a day?

I'm am on the fence...Yesterday I tried to eat more fat 80 grams and less protein 70 gras while carbs sat around 20grams. I know I should of eatten more fat because I was hungry last night. When I eat aLOT of protein I have not fight...but I do like my salads..so it's back to the higher fat/low carb...I am trying to see if I can make a difference in my body...I seem to feel more like I retain water and not losing...but I am going to give this a go...
    So far I ate a few bites of sausage this morning. 1 cup of coffee with cream.
    2" square of cocoa crack made with CO
    Salad with a few olives, little avocado, oil dressing and 2 eggs (salad) with several tablespoons of majo and a little mustard....
    I just ate the above but still feeling hungry...geeze, what gives.
    Sure. Most days I start out with a pot of either rooibos tea or Teeccino herbal coffee and add liberal splashes of Aroy-D coconut cream to each cup. This keeps me happy until my one main meal at dinner. Sometimes I will also have a glass of kefir in the mornings, it varies.

Main dinner meal is a chunk of animal protein with veggies just enough for flavor.

Examples: Beef curry including mushrooms, onions and garlic
    A lox omelet with creme fresh and some purple onion and capers inside
    A steak with a mushroom and onion reduction sauce over it
    A 1 lb petburger (USWM) with some Mexican salsa on top
    A sashimi platter of salmon, ahi, salmon roe, coconut aminos and wasabi with maybe a seaweed salad on the side
    Sometimes I have a "deli dinner" of say a hunk of cheese, a hunk of USWM liverwurst, some olives, some sundried tomatoes

Things like slices of avocado and a few cherry tomatoes make a nice garnish on the side of anything.

If I'm feeling seafoody I make a package of Sea Tangle kelp noodles boiled in a can of clam juice until soft and the juice reduced. Then add several cans of seafood such as smoked oysters, octopus, clams and mix up with some cream (coconut cream works too) and some grated parmesan. Seafood alfredo.

Speaking of which I do eat a lot of fish in addition to the red meat. I think a balance is important there. I don't eat pork or chicken but I do eat game birds such as duck and wild boar when I can get it.

My go-to snacks : SeaSnax toasted seaweed.
    cocoa butter chips
    100% bakers chocolate
    A chunk of raw milk cheese
    USWM beef sticks (I could live off of those)

I'll usually have a little snack in the evening after dinner while watching TV or whatever but I don't snack during the day.

kalli889 is offline Senior Member
    That sounds soooooo goooooood. Mmmm, ideas...
    My Leptin Reset Journey

Current BF%: 35
    Goal BF%: 20-23

Paleobird Guest
    Most of the non animal matter I eat is actually fruit. None is strictly speaking a vegetable.

Sea veggies (technically algae)
    Mushrooms (fungi)
    tomatoes (a fruit)
    olives (ditto)
    cucumber (ditto)
    bell peppers (ditto)
    avocados (ditto)
    coconut products (technically the seed of a fruit)
    Onions (a bulb)
    Garlic (a bulb)

Other than for geeking out purposes, the only reason this matters is because it is vegetables which have the higher levels of anti-nutrients defenses in them. Fruit is something the plant offers up for your consumption in order to disperse the seeds.

This is an interesting article by Dr Ede about vegetables. Vegetables Diagnosis: Diet