Page 27 of 281 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 27

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmSuzyQ View Post
    Hi - I'm new to MDA & Primal/Paleo lifestyle. I got interested in changing my diet after reading The 4-Hr Body which promotes a slow-carb diet (hi-prot, lentils/legumes/veg/nuts/seeds/fats & no fruit). I just finished my 3rd week with stalled results (stopped doing cardio but did BodyPump to maintain muscle since starting & may have enjoyed cheat days a little too much), but have kept 5 lbs off since wk #1.

This is a great site (amongst others) with tons of great info & I'm now thinking of going Primal & omitting legumes & adding back small quantities of fruit.

After doing my research (something I always do before making the leap) and reading this particular thread in its entirety, I can't help but notice some common themes:

1 - Many of you seem to be too careful with lowering carbs too much (hardly any mention of veggies but for avocados)
    2 - increasing fats to the detriment of protein (isn't the point of Primal to keep protein up for satiety & increase/maintain muscle - ditto for fats)
    3 - a lot of IF to the point where it seems obssessive - would this not lower metabolism too much where body will hang on to fat slowing down weightloss
    4 - not much talk of re-feeding which would prevent plateaus
    5 - the obsession with COUNTING & LOWERING CALORIES! I thought the whole point of Paleo/Primal was to enjoy your food in adopting this lifestyle.

I'm getting the impression that weight loss can only be done by lowering calories, which I thought was counter-productive in the Primal lifestyle.

BTW - I also read thread on eating more fat which brought on this new thread.

All of the above is an objective observation with no malice intended...just concern.

I'm 50 yrs, 5'2"
    CW 176 lbs
    GW ?
    No need for concern
    1. Too many carbs make me feel like crap, and I feel awesome without many.
    2. Not losing protein too much (have you seen the formulas we use around here?)
    3. IFing to obsession would be starving yourself all the time. If I am hungry I eat, if not I don't. Simple for me really. No that starvation mode thing is CW BS.
    4. Re-feeding? As in having high carb days? No thanks, see number 1 above.
    5. Counting and lowering calories some of us are happy to do, as some of us have a lot of weight to lose. I can't do it everyday, as it does mess with my head, but others successfully and happily do it. Nothing wrong with that.

Are you intending to join us here in eating moar fat?

I feel incredible. I have only been doing the higher fats for Jan (been primal for much longer on and off, but will be staying on now, non primal food makes me feel like shit). I no longer walk up with a sore back every morning, I can sleep properly, I have tons of energy, clear headed etc. And I no longer binge. For me this is huge, as I did it for 13 years, and nothing seemed to stop it until HFLC. This is incredible to me.
    Food no longer rules my life, its fuel, and I eat when I need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Awww poor Mommy.

I think you will know that you need to eat more if you stop losing or start bingeing. Otherwise follow your body's clues
    Thanks Paula, that is exactly what I was thinking.
    I have 2 years before next son starts school, lots of time to prepare lol

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    Honeybuns, on MFP, look in the track food section and then click on recipes.
    Thanks, Geo!
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

valmason01 is online now Senior Member
    Hang in there Ayla! They grow up waaaay too fast.

I want potato chips. I am hungry and I want chips. This is not going well.
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    I'm with you sister, I want candy. BUT we are not going to indulge. I am going to bed very soon.

Val slice up some sweet potato really thin and fry in coconut oil
    Paula, dunno how you can replicate candy, berries and cream? Don't give in!

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Ayla, my DH had to take my kids in for their first day i just could not face it. Also since i was a stay at home mom and I got to have so many special moments with my kids that i let him have the special once in a life time ones.

Now i have sent one off to college and my baby goes off in the fall
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 (a 4:3) fast diet with real food.

Chris I didn't think of that. But my husband did stay home from work today, so he could be there too.

Aw college already, wow, I bet that is even harder than school, since they generally move away from home right? That must have been so tough.

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    Wow so many pages now. :3

I did my first tai chi class today, it was really fun. And harder than it looks!

Does anyone else have a terrible time eating the recommended calories? I feel like I am never, and could never, eat enough while eating real wholesome foods. >.< I have no problem eating well above and beyond when I binge (of course) but almost the entirety of the calories in those cases come from carbs. On days where I eat to satisfaction of tasty primal foods, I will never, ever, ever hit 1700 calories. Usually I won't even break 1000.

No clue how to fix this, but it has been so ever since I started primal last year. :*(

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Then I'm going to guess its either enough food for you or you have a problem with digestion somewhere. Liver cleansing and enzymes might be a good idea. Do you have a gall bladder?