Page 267 of 281 FirstFirst ... 167217257265266267268269277 ... LastLast
Results 2,661 to 2,670 of 2806

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 267

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    dob, are you sure your BMR is that high? Maybe you are eating at maintenance level because your BMR is too high. I dunno, just seems awfully high to me. Could be totally wrong though, lol!!!

I will keep you updated on the BP symptoms in relation to ketosis. I'm really hoping that it will help me, so far it has really helped a lot. But now I'm on my TOM so feeling a little emotional and angry from that, lmao!!!

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    BMRI imagine dob's calculations are correct

I am a 5' 10" woman who exercises 5 x a week. My average BMR plus activity is 2600. This is not only by calculation, I have a GoWearFit armband that tells me exactly how many calories I am burning.

Binges Unfortunately I think the cure for binging is a combo of meeting nutritional needs and using supplements to heal and dealing with the emotional stuff too. I am following the recommendations of Julia Ross in "The Diet Cure" for taking amino acids to heal binge issues.

I don't believe that NK is necessarily my answer. It is a case of when I'm on I'm on, but when I go off. Whew. It is funny that Richard started his thread and I put the link to this thread there in the same week that I was in a mega binge. On 4/21 I was 215.8 and deeply NK. A week later I am nearly 230lbs and emotionally and physically sick. I need to find something that I can stick with that when I go off, I won't have a 15lb backlash

I have to confess that I am currently two days into a week long experiment of having 75-100 carbs/day. That is up from my norm of 20 or below. I want to encourage you two to keep going on the NK program for a few months. It is great, but right now my goal is to continue the search for a cure to my eating disorder. I may be back to NK next week, who knows?

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Double Post
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 04-29-2013 at 04:19 PM.

Red
    Red is offline Junior Member
    Thanks dkJames & Pebbles.

Just in the 3 days since i adjusted my macros down based on a new goal weight of 140 *and* reduced my fat a wee bit (but not below 60%) -- i can say there has been FINALLY movement on the scale in the right direction. Since i jumped on here a week or so ago, i am now down 5 lbs. Which puts me back to lowest weight coming off the HCG diet (2x rounds). I loved HCG but i wanted to learn to eat normal** and loose weight normally since i am now in spitting distance of goal weight. Hence primal & now NK.

**learning to eat "normal" is probably the hardest thing there is to do if you have any issues -- emotional eating (me); thyroid problems (me); adrenal fatigue (me); pregnancies (2); SAD brainwashing and poor body images thanks to media (me). I am awed and amazed everyday how much i am learning about chemistry/body fuel - and the microbiology differences from person to person. There is no one right WOE for all...instead it really is a personal journey of trial and error.

The thing i noticed the most (and its shocking) is how after loosing 35lbs---and going down 4 dress sizes--I could still look in the mirror and see a fat person. Our minds are so all powerful...I feel that 1/2 of the battle is mental.

Georgia Porga is offline Junior Member
    Eating normal or having a normal relationship to food is the most important and also one of the hardest things to do in life. I'm pretty sure all of us here have a unhealthy relationship with food and eating in general that stems back to our child selves and most likely our parents food relationships and how they viewed their body. Most of my memories of my mother are of her being down on her body and yo-yo dieting. My first round of dieting was along her side our reward for losing our goal weight was a dozen doughnuts... Sound healthy? I have been on a "diet" of some form since I was 12 yrs old I am 28 now That is 16 yrs of my life I have been food obsessive. Some of the times if feel most "in control" is when I am on point with my eating and am most out of control and depressive when I am in binge mode. I have been paleo since jan 2011 and it has been the only WOE that is a lifestyle and not a "diet" for me. That said... I have had 2 instances that I have fallen off the wagon big time lasting 3 wks for the longest of all 3 times was brought on by being way to restrictive with my eating for long periods of time and ultimately a combo of feeling super deprived and nutritional deficiencies drove me to binge. Since starting NK in feb I have not felt deprived at all if. I don't think any of us who are looking for the right WOE to cure our relationship with food stand alone. It really has to be a mind shift and a self love thing, that is hard too... Yoga along with a primal diet has helped me with a lot with setting the intention to love my self and want to take the best care of me that I know how too. Anyway just thought I would share and hope we are all loving our selves mind, body and spirit.

dob
    dob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    dob, are you sure your BMR is that high? Maybe you are eating at maintenance level because your BMR is too high. I dunno, just seems awfully high to me. Could be totally wrong though, lol!!!

I will keep you updated on the BP symptoms in relation to ketosis. I'm really hoping that it will help me, so far it has really helped a lot. But now I'm on my TOM so feeling a little emotional and angry from that, lmao!!!
    No problem and thanks for checking out if my calcs are correct. I may have not calculated correctly earlier. I'm using a the light activity multiplier of 1.35 and at 20% of my ideal weight, I should be eating closer to 2,000 Kcals. I've read that CICO is not an important factor, so i set my calories at 2,200 originally. However, I maybe one of those people that need to lower my total calories to trigger weight loss/fat loss. Maybe after I'm fully adapted, I can be less concerned with calories. If I'm not losing body fat by my 14th day, I'm definitely going to tweak both my caloric intake and lower my fat intake.

Yes definitely keep us/me updated.

Can't really comment on that TOM. I can't even say I understand. I just know it is what it is. I do have a solution, which works for my GF, but I can't tell you unless you want to sacrifice these last 6 days.

6 Days, going on 7. Keep going marissa. You're doing great!

dob
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    BMRI imagine dob's calculations are correct

I am a 5' 10" woman who exercises 5 x a week. My average BMR plus activity is 2600. This is not only by calculation, I have a GoWearFit armband that tells me exactly how many calories I am burning.

Binges Unfortunately I think the cure for binging is a combo of meeting nutritional needs and using supplements to heal and dealing with the emotional stuff too. I am following the recommendations of Julia Ross in "The Diet Cure" for taking amino acids to heal binge issues.

I don't believe that NK is necessarily my answer. It is a case of when I'm on I'm on, but when I go off. Whew. It is funny that Richard started his thread and I put the link to this thread there in the same week that I was in a mega binge. On 4/21 I was 215.8 and deeply NK. A week later I am nearly 230lbs and emotionally and physically sick. I need to find something that I can stick with that when I go off, I won't have a 15lb backlash

I have to confess that I am currently two days into a week long experiment of having 75-100 carbs/day. That is up from my norm of 20 or below. I want to encourage you two to keep going on the NK program for a few months. It is great, but right now my goal is to continue the search for a cure to my eating disorder. I may be back to NK next week, who knows?
    I appreciate your honesty and your openness with binging. Let us know how your experiment goes. It will be interesting to see how your body tolerates the increase in carbs.

After I did the atkins induction and a couple levels of OWL, my GF was fed up, so I started eating fruit. I continued to eat more and more fruit, occasionally eating desserts here and there. By the end I was eating 30-40 strawberries, an apple, and 1-2 cups of blueberries, and I stayed around 212 lbs the until I began this experiment.

Hope all goes well.

dob
    Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    Thanks dkJames & Pebbles.

Just in the 3 days since i adjusted my macros down based on a new goal weight of 140 *and* reduced my fat a wee bit (but not below 60%) -- i can say there has been FINALLY movement on the scale in the right direction. Since i jumped on here a week or so ago, i am now down 5 lbs. Which puts me back to lowest weight coming off the HCG diet (2x rounds). I loved HCG but i wanted to learn to eat normal** and loose weight normally since i am now in spitting distance of goal weight. Hence primal & now NK.

**learning to eat "normal" is probably the hardest thing there is to do if you have any issues -- emotional eating (me); thyroid problems (me); adrenal fatigue (me); pregnancies (2); SAD brainwashing and poor body images thanks to media (me). I am awed and amazed everyday how much i am learning about chemistry/body fuel - and the microbiology differences from person to person. There is no one right WOE for all...instead it really is a personal journey of trial and error.

The thing i noticed the most (and its shocking) is how after loosing 35lbs---and going down 4 dress sizes--I could still look in the mirror and see a fat person. Our minds are so all powerful...I feel that 1/2 of the battle is mental.
    Hola Red, can you please tell me what your current macro %'s are, and when you reduced your fat intake did you increase your protein intake to compensate for the loss in calories from fat? Also, can you please update your progress next week? 5 lbs in a week. Awesome. Are you also measuring yourself. I'm making progress with fat loss but not weight loss. As long as your dress size is going down, which it has, you're doing great.

Congrats on the total weight loss as well. that is a great accomplishment in itself. IDK, but when I see your pic I see a beautiful, vibrant woman. i say focus less on the mirror and more on measurements.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dob View Post
    No problem and thanks for checking out if my calcs are correct. I may have not calculated correctly earlier. I'm using a the light activity multiplier of 1.35 and at 20% of my ideal weight, I should be eating closer to 2,000 Kcals. I've read that CICO is not an important factor, so i set my calories at 2,200 originally. However, I maybe one of those people that need to lower my total calories to trigger weight loss/fat loss. Maybe after I'm fully adapted, I can be less concerned with calories. If I'm not losing body fat by my 14th day, I'm definitely going to tweak both my caloric intake and lower my fat intake.

Yes definitely keep us/me updated.

Can't really comment on that TOM. I can't even say I understand. I just know it is what it is. I do have a solution, which works for my GF, but I can't tell you unless you want to sacrifice these last 6 days.

6 Days, going on 7. Keep going marissa. You're doing great!
    Cool, well I'll be interested to see your findings on day 14. I personally am eating around my BMR. I would eat a little more but just not super hungry, a lot of times I have eaten under 1600cals for the day which is super weird for me, but I guess I'll take it. You sound like you are doing great as well, and thanks so much for all the positivity and encouragement!!!

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Hello all from Denmark

Sorry to hear about some issues like binge disorder or heavy snacking. My wife was snacking a lot too, even when we turned primal. At some point, I was joking and asking her whether she turned into a primal bird ... but she actually told me it was a serious issue because she felt it was a manifestation of some deeper issue which probably had been impacting her for ages, even more so during the SAD days.

So I took the bull by the horns and told her that it will be easy to deal with if you follow this with me: one meal a day on week days, and 2 meals a day on one week-end day (or 2) with heavy work-outs that day, enough rest (both mind and body) in between and slow pace movement most of the week on one meal a day (with an occasional sprint for FUN, not for anything else - we practice the Tabata sprints, it's hard but really fun!). Oh yeah, about once every 2 or 3 weeks, we fast 2 days in a row.

Her snacking habit is completely gone, her moods and energy have stabilized nicely and her body comp is changing (not her weight but both of us do not care about weight since we are already rather lean after more than 1/2 year on LCHFMP to correct something that was broken in our metabolism).

We make sure we have plenty of home-made bone broth (just finished making some with grass-fed lamb and lama bones, simmering for 48+ hours). Our breakfast is one cup of broth, sometimes coffee only (my wife is not always keen on meaty taste in the morning) with coconut oil and whipping cream in the coffee or tea. Nothing else until early dinner except water and tea (coffee is an early morning thing, never at any other time of the day).

Dinner is mostly low carb veggies, olive or avocado oil, eggs (from hens or fish roe or both mixed up in an omelet), some fatty fish, a few nuts or other side stuff. We do eat red meat or chicken but not as often as fatty fish. We do some cheeses to bring up the protein requirement as well but stopped all the heavy cream/ full fat Greek yogurt for a while as dessert. Butter is almost always on the menu though because while it can be a little insulinogenic (especially with a little carb), it seems (from what I read) that it can induce a temporary physiological insulin resistance of ... fat cells which are not listening to insulin for storing extra fat. Instead they release free fatty acids!! so fat-adapted people burn the fat store thanks to butter!! who would have known, uh! Butter as a weight loss tool

In all this, we don't count calories - why you may ask ? Because with one meal a day on average, we don't need. We eat until sated, that's it. I truly believe that the human body is accustomed or programmed (genes) to stay without dealing with food for at least half a day, it seems just normal and balanced. Moreover, calories are measured in calorimeter where all the food is turned into ashes. That's not what happens inside the body. Instead, when we have to count something, it is the weight amount of foods and adapt it to how we feel. Like some days ago, I felt like eating BIG time one evening. The next evening, I ate almost nothing. Plus we also believe in eating more often once in a while (we use week-ends for that since it is a more "social" time where we can be invited for brunches, etc). My thinking is that if I think I had too many carbs or proteins in one sitting, I just burn it off with extra work-out. Very easy.

Anyway, all this babbling to say that you can fix your disorder if you make peace with the fact that 3 squared meals a day may not be optimal at all for you, as it will always keep the body busy with dealing with food (digestion, hunger signals, etc). Believe me, not eating all the day is not putting yourself into starvation mode, NOT AT ALL! You starve when you have not eaten for MANY days / weeks and rely solely on your fat store and muscles (like e.g. those who survived concentration camps who were forced to be in this awful metabolic state at the end of WWII - some even died because of resuming eating some (junk) food given by ally soldiers who were pitying them ...) Yeah, I know it's not a cheerful thought but you may think about "starvation" differently now: You don't starve when you eat every day on average, regardless of the timing and meal frequency!!.
    Last edited by dkJames; 04-30-2013 at 02:01 AM.