Page 266 of 281 FirstFirst ... 166216256264265266267268276 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,660 of 2804

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 266

dob
    dob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    If BPC works for you than use it. I find I am happier between 70 and 75% fat. At one point, I was having 2 BPCs a day, but not much else. My calories top out at 1800 usually, so that much BPC for some people does not leave enough room for real food. I am cooking with healthy fats and eating fatty meats.

Yes, you should eat below your BMR plus activity. 20% is a good amount. You will have to experiment with macro levels to find the right combo for your body within the recommended ranges for Nutritional Ketosis.
    Not really sure it works for me, but I do love that morning kick.

Hopefully Coco Puff doesn't make his way over to this thread, but do you buy into the CICO theory? it's been up for debate lately? If I don't see my body comp change then i'm going to lower my total caloric intake by eliminating some fat calories. I'll test it out for a couple weeks and see where I end up.

Thanks Pebbles.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Does eating 70-80% fat matter as long as you are in a caloric deficit? I think I'm around 70, but always eating at a deficit.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    Does eating 70-80% fat matter as long as you are in a caloric deficit? I think I'm around 70, but always eating at a deficit.
    It starts to matter if you are in a deficit of proteins / if you eat too much fat when your goal is weight loss / etc. So looking at the percentage is maybe not the ideal thing. Look at the absolute amount of carbs (< 30g) and proteins (~ 1g / kg of LBM and that one depends on your physical activity, how much you wear out your muscle). Once you have those absolute figures for carb and proteins, adjust your fat depending on your goals: weight loss ? deficit - otherwise, plenty of it for maintenance. I wouldn't say too much of it because it is hard to abuse of dietary fat amount when you are eating so little carbs and moderate proteins.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    I guess (for me) I believe in both CICO and the quality of calories. I always try to eat below my BMR plus activity, but to be fair, there are people here who overeat calories and still lose weight. I used to lose weight on programs like Weight Watchers too, which are all about CICO, but I was eating wheat and processed foods.

2.5 years into my Primal journey, I am still trying to find my magic bullet. Even with success on lchf, I still have very bad binge episodes. I am one of those people who was raised by morbidly obese parents. My metabolism is very screwed up and being perimenopausal does not help. Ah, but those are my issues.

Quote Originally Posted by dob View Post
    Not really sure it works for me, but I do love that morning kick.

Hopefully Coco Puff doesn't make his way over to this thread, but do you buy into the CICO theory? it's been up for debate lately? If I don't see my body comp change then i'm going to lower my total caloric intake by eliminating some fat calories. I'll test it out for a couple weeks and see where I end up.

Thanks Pebbles.
    I personally do believe in the CICO theory no matter what you are doing. To me it just makes sense that if you eat more calories than you use in the day, anything extra will go to storage no matter what it is, fats, proteins or carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    It starts to matter if you are in a deficit of proteins / if you eat too much fat when your goal is weight loss / etc. So looking at the percentage is maybe not the ideal thing. Look at the absolute amount of carbs (< 30g) and proteins (~ 1g / kg of LBM and that one depends on your physical activity, how much you wear out your muscle). Once you have those absolute figures for carb and proteins, adjust your fat depending on your goals: weight loss ? deficit - otherwise, plenty of it for maintenance. I wouldn't say too much of it because it is hard to abuse of dietary fat amount when you are eating so little carbs and moderate proteins.
    I used the calculator on this thread to figure out what and how much I should be eating. So I should be good then....right? I mean, clothes are already feeling looser (could just be from loss of water retention though) but I'm eating most days around my BMR and have found that I don't need to snack anymore now that I'm in ketosis. I usually have calories leftover for the day and I have mine set at 1600. I never have proteins left to eat, it's always fat and carbs that are leftover. So I'm assuming I'm doing good then.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Yes the calculations on the first post of this thread are supposed to make things easier for you. It puts you in a fat range of about 70-75%. Once you have your plan well established, you can make changes like lowering fat IF you are not losing.

It sounds as if you are doing great!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    CICO is a big factor. It's just not the only factor.

If you were to eat too much protein and carbs, and decided to add fat to bring your macros into the target range, you could definitely put yourself into the sort of calorie surplus that would in the long term result in weight gain.

I guess (for me) I believe in both CICO and the quality of calories. I always try to eat below my BMR plus activity, but to be fair, there are people here who overeat calories and still lose weight. I used to lose weight on programs like Weight Watchers too, which are all about CICO, but I was eating wheat and processed foods.

2.5 years into my Primal journey, I am still trying to find my magic bullet. Even with success on lchf, I still have very bad binge episodes. I am one of those people who was raised by morbidly obese parents. My metabolism is very screwed up and being perimenopausal does not help. Ah, but those are my issues.
    Pebbles, I too have struggled with binges for many, many years. I have just recently found there was a correlation between my depressive episodes and my binges. So my goal is to control the bipolar symptoms, thus controlling the binges. I have gone probably 9-10 days so far with no binges, and I don't have the urge to binge at all now, especially being in ketosis, so I'm quite hopeful. Day six now of ketogenic diet!!!

Yes the calculations on the first post of this thread are supposed to make things easier for you. It puts you in a fat range of about 70-75%. Once you have your plan well established, you can make changes like lowering fat IF you are not losing.

It sounds as if you are doing great!
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    CICO is a big factor. It's just not the only factor.

If you were to eat too much protein and carbs, and decided to add fat to bring your macros into the target range, you could definitely put yourself into the sort of calorie surplus that would in the long term result in weight gain.
    Agree ladies, thanks for your reassurance!

dob
    dob is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I've been measuring my ketone/glucose levels and checking my weight for the last 10 days, but also started eating a NK WOE about a month ago. My lbs has stayed in the 212 range (+/- 2-3 lbs), but have been pretty stable. I eat approximately 2,200 calories, which is 400 below my BMR. Hmmm, I am confused...not by the suggestions but at what's happening to me. I may need to tweak my fat intake. Day 14 is coming up and I'll see where my measurements are at and whether I continue as is or tweak. Thanks for all the advice.

On another topic, marissa and pebbles, I have a sister who has been binging for 25+ years. I think it's amazing that this WOE can help. I hope you both the best.

And marissa, please keep updating on ketosis is working for your bipolar symptoms. I find it interesting as my brother in law had a brother who also suffered from bipolar symptoms.