Page 264 of 282 FirstFirst ... 164214254262263264265266274 ... LastLast
Results 2,631 to 2,640 of 2813

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 264

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    MFPYou can change what columns you want to see in the settings tab. Click on diary settings.

Goal Weight Most of us choose a low weight in the healthy range for our height. I'm 5'10" I would like to be below 175. I choose to use 160 for macro calculations.

Divide pound goal by 2.2 to get kilos. Most of us start with Protein equals Kilo goal, Carbs 1/2 kilo goal, Fat 2x kilo goal. For you, 140lbs=64kilos 64g protein +/-10% (58-70g range), 32 g carb max, 128g fat to start.
    Awesome, thank you! I can't seem to get the macros totally correct on MFP because you can only change the settings in increments of 5%.....pretty frustrating.

What are some of the other food diaries that people on here use? Does anyone use one that is more easily customizable?

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    I am on MFP. I get as close as I can with the customization and then do what I want. Depending on what browser you use, there may be an "extension" which will show percentages.

Configuring MyFitnessPal for Keto Success

MyFitnessPal Percentages and Net Carbs for Greasemonkey

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    I do the same as Pebbles. I've adjusted my MFP percentages to be close, then I do what I want.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

dob
    dob is offline Senior Member
    Hope you don't mind if I join along with everyone here. I've been measuring my ketones and glucose for 7 days, but have eating a ketogenic diet for the last month trying to get keto adapted. I'm looking to shed some of my final lbs and get to an ideal body fat comp. Scanning the internet last night and came across an interview with Steve Phinney: Steve Phinney – Low-Carb preserves Glycogen better than High Carb | Me and My Diabetes

one of the question posed was: Well, how about if, instead of eating just the leanest part of the meat, what if they eat a 14 ounce rib-eye steak. Or chicken with the skin. Will they avoid a rabbit fever problem, or is that still too much protein?

I found Phinney's response rather interesting, which was:

[....]After all, many people, choose a low carb diet for weight loss. For them, a diet that’s moderate in protein may be high in fat because they’re burning their own fat for energy. When you go on a weight loss, ketogentic diet, you can eat less fat on your plate because you’re burning the fat that comes from your inside. It comes from your love handles and hips and so on.

When burning your own body fat, it looks like it’s a high protein diet. But the scales go down because the body’s burning it’s own fat stores. But if that persons loses weight and decides to stay on low-carb as a maintenance diet, in order to become weight stable, they need to eat a considerable amount of fat now, in other words, they need to increase their fat intake, which should work fine, because by now, their body should be very efficient at burning fat.

Does this mean I should be increasing my protein intake so that I burn my stored fat? My macro nutrient dist is currently 80% fat/15% protein/5% carbs on a 2200 calorie diet eating twice a day.

If I were you, I would follow P & V's recommendations for protein intake for your height. They recommend fat levels between 65%-85%. It looks as if you are getting about 83g of protein. See if that matches their recommendations.

Due to my desire to lose a lot more weight and a need to keep my blood sugar stable, I currently eat about 50-60 grams of protein based on Dr. Rosedale's program. When I get toward maintenence, I will raise the protein up to P & V levels.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

It's really difficult staying in the parameters for protein. I mean, even veggies have protein and that just adds to it. Gah!!

Marissa, Have you read the Phinney and Volek books? Their lowest range goes from 75-120 grams. Most of us started at a higher level of protein until we adapted to LCHF. It was only later that some of us lowered our protein. It is not necessary to eat extremely low protein (say 50-75 grams) to be in ketosis.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dob View Post
    Does this mean I should be increasing my protein intake so that I burn my stored fat? My macro nutrient dist is currently 80% fat/15% protein/5% carbs on a 2200 calorie diet eating twice a day.
    It mean this:

- keep your carbs under 30g / day
    - keep your proteins at 0.7g to 1g per kg of lean body mass
    - tune your fat intake for weight loss or maintenance.

So carbs and proteins should remain the same in the absolute (and adjusted to your physical activity and lifestyle).
    The parameter tuning weight loss, when you are fat-adapted (ketogenic) is the amount of fat: want to lose fat weight ? decrease the dietary fat - want to maintain weight ? increase your intake of fat - all this with the same 30g max of carbs, and protein intake as mentioned above.

In my case, I am at weight maintenance, so I eat quite a lot of fat while remaining low carb - moderate protein.

dob
    dob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    It mean this:

- keep your carbs under 30g / day
    - keep your proteins at 0.7g to 1g per kg of lean body mass
    - tune your fat intake for weight loss or maintenance.

So carbs and proteins should remain the same in the absolute (and adjusted to your physical activity and lifestyle).
    The parameter tuning weight loss, when you are fat-adapted (ketogenic) is the amount of fat: want to lose fat weight ? decrease the dietary fat - want to maintain weight ? increase your intake of fat - all this with the same 30g max of carbs, and protein intake as mentioned above.

In my case, I am at weight maintenance, so I eat quite a lot of fat while remaining low carb - moderate protein.
    dkjames, if you don't mind, could you expand on tuning your fat intake with your personal experience. I read that you are in weight maintenance and eat a lot of fat now, but when you were losing weight, what did you do specifically?

Thanks

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Marissa, Have you read the Phinney and Volek books? Their lowest range goes from 75-120 grams. Most of us started at a higher level of protein until we adapted to LCHF. It was only later that some of us lowered our protein. It is not necessary to eat extremely low protein (say 50-75 grams) to be in ketosis.
    I have read The Art and Science of Low Carb Living, although I need to re-read it because it was some time ago and I forgot a lot of the stuff. Thanks for the input, I won't stress so much about the protein then.