Page 262 of 281 FirstFirst ... 162212252260261262263264272 ... LastLast
Results 2,611 to 2,620 of 2806

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 262

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Rapunzel brand from Whole Foods, just make sure it isn't low sodium.

maillade is offline Junior Member
    I have started reading thru this thread and very interesting..but I have a question..does adding more fat only work if you really lower your carbs? I am eating approx 75-80 carbs a day so would adding more fat and decreasing my protein work? According to the keto stix I am in a med purple..
    this is my average breakdown
    1065 calories
    41g fat 34%
    78g carbs 21%
    113g prot 42%
    with my fit bit I am burning around 2100-2400 calories a day?
    thank you
    I am 5'2" 160lbs and would like to be maybe 130?

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    mailladeYou would have to do your own experimentation. Most NK experts believe that you need to stay under 50g carb/day. Some people who eat lots of calories can get away with more. If you lower protein however, you should up fat to replace these calories.
    Fat should be at least 65% of calories.
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 04-19-2013 at 03:17 AM.

Red Sorry that we did not respond to you. Your macros look good, but I would start with fat at 2x protein which is 140grams. Honestly, I have never eaten 2.5-3 times fat as recommended by the optimal diet.

nkchick is offline Junior Member
    Hi All! I'm also joining after reading through quite a bit of the thread. Started my LCHF journey on 4-15 and have lost 6lbs since then, woo-hoo! It hasn't been difficult at all. Sure I have had some cravings but have found a couple things that fill the gaps.

Differences I've noticed:
    1. Hair much less greasy
    2. Skin is glowing
    3. Started my period 2 days after beginning diet (very irregular before)
    4. Better sleep
    5. Some energy shifts, but not bad
    6.Abdominal fat becoming "softer" and stomach flatter
    7. Almost no facial acne (2 pimples) with period (usually know I'm going to start because of zits!)

That's about it, but it's enough to keep up the experiment. Trying to find some half-way decent fill ins for bread. The only thing I'm truly missing. Figured out a way to have pizza...place pepperoni in a pizza shape(place one on cookie sheet and then keep going around that pepperoni until you have a small pizza) cover with cheese and cook on 425 for a few minutes. Let it cool a little then slice up...delicious!

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    Welcome nkchick! Those are awsome differences!!

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

blondie0216 is offline Junior Member
    [QUOTE=Pebbles67;1080405]We just completed a very successful January 2013 challenge to “Eat More Fat.” (The plan is also called Low Carb-High Fat or Ketogenic.) This thread is for EMF challengers who plan to continue with this way of eating and new people who would like to give it a try. The challenge thread can be found here:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread73597.html

The original idea for EMF on MDA came from a thread by Paleobird about her own experiments in Nutritional Ketosis. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65113.html

What is Nutritional Ketosis? Physiologically it means having a serum ketone level of .5mmol to 5.0mmol as measured by a blood ketone monitor. To people on MDA it means being “fat adapted”.

Why try to reach Nutritional Ketosis? This is an extreme version of Primal eating for those who have not seen great or continued success on the basic Primal program. Some follow this woe for medical reasons others for weight loss benefits. Hard losers with PCOS etc., women in menopause, people with seizure disorders and binge disorders often have success with this plan. ***If you are new to Primal Blueprint, please follow the information in the book first for at least 6 weeks before doing anything else.

***Start Here!***
    Setting up a Macro Plan The goal is to reach a 70% plus Fat level while keeping Carbs below 50 and Protein at a moderate level. Use this formula to get started:
    From the work of Dr Jan Kwasniewski author of The Optimal Diet.
    Take your height in centimeters and subtract 100. This is your goal weight in kilograms.
    Goal weight in kilos plus/minus 10% = range for protein grams/day
    Goal weight in kilos divided by 2 = upper end for carb grams/day
    The rest of your diet is fat. Goal weight in kilos x anywhere from 2.5 to 3.5 depending on your weight goals (lower to lose, higher to gain)

Notes 1)Some start fat at 2x goal wt. due to the difficulty of getting in so much fat. 2)Some feel the goal weight generated by this formula is too high. One could set a goal weight at the lower end of their healthy weight range. If in pounds divide by 2.2. That would be your Goal wt. in kilos. Use that weight to figure your macros by the formula. This would be your "Hot Stuff in a Swimsuit" (HSIS) weight.

***More Advanced info later macro recalculation***
    BMR -Do calories matter? Most of our N=1 self experiments have led us to conclude that in some ways for some people calories Do matter. In case you are interested in calculating your body’s Daily Caloric Needs, here is a Basal Metabolic Rate calculator that includes information on how to add activity with the Harris Benedict Equation. BMR is the calories your body would burn if you never moved a muscle all day long (coma calorie burn).
    BMR Calculator
    Harris Benedict multipliersUse these to add your activity to your BMR.
    To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:
    •If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    •If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    •If you are moderately active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    •If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    •If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9
    Once you know your Daily Caloric Needs, you can use it to decide you optimal calorie level. Mine, for example is around 2400, so I aim to eat about 1900 cals per day.

Other Helpful Stuff

My Fitness Pal: Many of us on the thread track our food on this site. By “friending” each other, we are able to see other people’s food diaries. There is also a BMR calculator (see above). Don't forget to use the Harris Benedict multipliers above to get your true daily calorie burn.
    Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com

LCHF Recipe Group: Here is the link to our Recipe group.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/group156.html

Electrolyte Imbalance: When first starting an NK program, the body flushes a lot of fluid. This often leads to the feeling extreme exhaustion or lethargy that is referred to as carb flu. One trick for improving these symptoms is to drink 1-2 cups of commercial bouillon per day. Yes, it has MSG and other nasty stuff, but the dosage is low and it helps some people push through the rough first weeks. You may also have success with homemade salted bone broth or even store bought canned broth. However, you will have to add a lot of salt to your broth to reach the sodium level of one small cube of bouillon. 1000mg of table salt is not equal to 1000 mg of sodium.

Further Reading: Some of our favorite NK experts:
    Jeff Volek, Stephen Phinney The Art and Science of Low Carb Living
    Dr Peter Attia The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.
    Jimmy Moore Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low Carb Blog

***This post will act as a living document of compiled information on Nutritional Ketosis. Please PM me if you feel something should be added.

***One request. This is meant to be an encouragement thread for people who are following this plan. It is okay to disagree with the concept of nutritional ketosis, just keep it friendly. Each of us has the right to follow our own n=1 experiment without harassment.[/QUOTE

I just came across this thread today. I have been following the primal blueprint since the end of January and doing well with it but feel i am ready to be a bit more specific with my macros and to increase weight loss. I am still learning about all this stuff and really appreciate and suggestions or help and will do the same when i can.

thank you

Welcome nkchick and blondie

Sat report
    Wt. 215.8 down 3.9 for the week. Total since Jan 1, 31lbs. Lost 1 inch in my waist.

Calories I used to push eating at a minimum of BMR daily, but I have found that now that my body is used to NK, I can eat 1200-1400 cals most days and be in top form. I am actually trying calorie cycling with I fast day and one carb up day/week.
    BUT, let me be clear, I did not start lowering my calories until more than 8 weeks into my lchf experiment.

Supplements If you get a chance, read "The Diet Cure" by Julia Ross and then think about adding some amino acids etc. I started 2 weeks ago and the difference in hunger cravings and binging is unbelievable. Also get the salt in (5000mg). I personally drink 2 bouillon cubes a day.

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    I've been doing the alternate day fasting in conjunction with EMF and I've lost a total of over 6 pounds in 3 weeks. Not bad at all!

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

I observe one interesting thing for the last week - I wake up BEFORE my alarm starts ringing! And according my Fitbit I sleep more deeply. Wow! I don't know if it is because EMF or changing season here in Middle Europe, but I hope that it'll last