Page 258 of 280 FirstFirst ... 158208248256257258259260268 ... LastLast
Results 2,571 to 2,580 of 2797

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 258

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    sandybeaches, start with the formula in the first post to figure out your macros and calories. People have changed their calories and protein based on self experimentation. I do not recommend this for people new to NK. I have kept my calories higher than 1500 and lost well.

Choose a low goal weight in the healthy range for your height. (Not necessarily what you really want to weigh, but your "hot stuff" goal
    Me 5'10" inches. Real Goal wt. 165lbs. Weight for calculating macros 150lbs or 68 kg
    Protein 68 + or - 10% (range 61-75grams)
    Carb 1/2 protein 34 grams
    Fat min 2x protein 136 grams
    about 1750 cals
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

sandybeaches is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    sandybeaches, start with the formula in the first post to figure out your macros and calories. People have changed their calories and protein based on self experimentation. I do not recommend this for people new to NK. I have kept my calories higher than 1500 and lost well.

Choose a low goal weight in the healthy range for your height. (Not necessarily what you really want to weigh, but your "hot stuff" goal
    Me 5'10" inches. Real Goal wt. 165lbs. Weight for calculating macros 150lbs or 68 kg
    Protein 68 + or - 10% (range 61-75grams)
    Carb 1/2 protein 34 grams
    Fat min 2x protein 136 grams
    about 1750 cals
    thanks so much for your help. My protein only comes out to 49-59 grams. it has been drilled into my head that I should eat 100 grams at least of protein in order to not lose muscle. I've also heard .7 to 1 gram per pound of weight (or pound of lean mass if really overweight) as a protein goal. this will be a big change for me. Just a little paranoid about that...any feedback?

According to Mark Sisson It should be .7-1 gram per pound of LBM. .7 for me would be 93 grams of protein. I eat 60-70 on most days and I exercise 5 days/week, 3 days heavy.

Many NK experts believe that you should go lower because excess protein is turned into sugar. You need to explore to find your optimal levels. The absolute minimum protein needed for adult women is 46 grams. If you want to experiment, lower protein by 10 grams per week and see what happens and how you feel.

sandybeaches is offline Junior Member
    According to Mark Sisson It should be .7-1 gram per pound of LBM. .7 for me would be 93 grams of protein. I eat 60-70 on most days and I exercise 5 days/week, 3 days heavy.

Many NK experts believe that you should go lower because excess protein is turned into sugar. You need to explore to find your optimal levels. The absolute minimum protein needed for adult women is 46 grams. If you want to experiment, lower protein by 10 grams per week and see what happens and how you feel.
    so if he promotes .7-1 gram per pound of lbm, why would we do less? the other formula would equate to about 90 grams for me and this one on here is 49-59--alot less!! l i'm so confused, i get soooo many different messages! I think lowering it by 10 grams each week sounds like a great idea! Thanks!!

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sandybeaches View Post
    so if he promotes .7-1 gram per pound of lbm, why would we do less? the other formula would equate to about 90 grams for me and this one on here is 49-59--alot less!! l i'm so confused, i get soooo many different messages! I think lowering it by 10 grams each week sounds like a great idea! Thanks!!
    Ah, well there are many experts who give many answers on the amount of protein necessary. Really no good studies done that pinpoint the amount. So, that is where the N=1 comes in. Dropping 10g a week or so is a great way to go about doing it.

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    I also tend to gravitate to whatever everyone else is doing. Like right now........... still doing the EMF protocol - but I'm combining it with the ADF protocol. So I'm eating more fat but only on my UP days!
    I am doing the ADF as well, but I am trying to keep my percentages approximately the same on both up and down days, so technically I am still EMF. I am working to keep my fat over 70% and net carbs under 5%. Of course I am just getting started this week as I have been out of town, so I am not sure how it is going yet.

I am actually also considering doing M-W-F as my down days. Actually doing W-F and then I can do Sunday or Monday for the other one as convenient (basically whichever day I am busier!). I definitely do down days better on my days at work.

Quote Originally Posted by sandybeaches View Post
    Mark Sisson does not talk about nutritional ketosis at all, so he would not be concerned with optimal protein levels for getting into ketosis and losing weight. Most NK experts agree that carbs likely need to be below 50g or below 10% of total calories. Protein should be no higher than 25-30% of total calories. Fat should be above 65% of total calories. My protein intake also varies. About once a week I hit 80+ grams.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I have heard this a lot on this site, but I didn't have any way of testing it.

Over the past couple of weeks I have been ramping up my exercise program, adding in more lifting and some running.

Starting this past Sunday I began a VLC carb nite cycle. (Refeed is day 9.) Monday morning I was in light ketosis. This morning I woke up at 2:00am to a phone call and was absolutely protein famished. I ate a big meal of meat, and another at 9:00 am, and another at noon. I finally feel like I have caught up, having eating unknown massive amounts of lean meat, fatty meat, cheese, and eggs, probably 250+ grams of protein and 2500+ calories. I am still in ketosis. I'll take another reading in the morning.

ekatherine, Can't wait to hear your results.

What I have experienced is that my blood sugar levels go up and my ketosis levels go down the day after a big protein binge (over 100g for me). This is why n=1 is so important.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    At 9:00 AM, 3 hours after getting up, I was still slightly in ketosis. My weight was only up .4 pounds from the day before. I am not feeling or looking fat. My conclusion is that with all those fat calories and all that protein I craved and ate, it was what my body needed. Possibly forcing myself to meet arbitrary macros might give a different result.

I am NOT HUNGRY, and it feels good. I expect to eat again at 3:00 PM.