Page 254 of 281 FirstFirst ... 154204244252253254255256264 ... LastLast
Results 2,531 to 2,540 of 2806

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 254

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Catching up a bit. I recommend Tom Naughton's blog, especially his latest book review on the Fat Fast Cookbook. Notice the effect of dietary composition on weight loss ~ experiments done in the 1950s and 60s.

http:/www.fathead-movie.com

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    Love Fathead, it is how I got started on all of this in the first place.

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    Phew, just got back from a nice 65 minute walk...wore me out even though I walked slow, lol. I didn't realize how really out of shape I am. It's hard to believe that at one time I did 2 back-to-back rounds of P90X and could do over 100 push-ups in an hour. NOT ANY MORE, lol. Course, I was 7 years younger, but I was doing very low carb back then and had enough energy, though I guess I had lost most of the weight I needed to lose by the time I started. But, I ramble...

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    I tried making my own mayo for the first time today. Although the bought mayo I use contains no sugar & all natural ingredients, it does contain sunflower oil & I wanted to switch to olive oil & CO as Iíve been using a lot just lately.

Seems easy enough (I am no cook): 2 egg yolks, 1 tsp mustard, Ĺ cup light olive oil, 1.2 cup CO, some ACV.

Well the first batch went ok until I came to add the ACV. Not knowing how much, I added ľ cup (thinking it was 1/8). The result was not good.

So I thought I would just make some more & add it in to dilute the ACV. 12 eggs & 2hrs later I finally got there. I now have 6 jars of mayo in the fridge & I learnt 2 things: donít use the CO when trying to emulsify & donít use too much vinegar lol

PS what does one do with 14 egg whites? I usually give them to the dog but even he can't eat that many
    Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 03-24-2013 at 11:13 AM.

pretty sure you can freeze them, definitely after you cook them.

I use a straight egg in mine. I will look for the recipe, can't remember it off the top of my head.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    pretty sure you can freeze them, definitely after you cook them.

I use a straight egg in mine. I will look for the recipe, can't remember it off the top of my head.
    Thanks I'll try it next time if you can find it

Blender Mayo!

• 2 cup light olive oil
    • 2 egg
    • 2 tablespoon lemon juice or lime or ACV
    • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
    • Ĺ teaspoon salt or to taste
    • 3 tablespoon hot water or as needed
    Directions

Whizz 1/2 cup of the oil with the eggs, lemon juice, dry mustard and salt in a blender for a few seconds.
    Slowly, VERY slowly as in drop by drop at first then to a thin stream, drizzle the remaining oil into the mixture (through the top hatch) while the blender is running. Be patient.
    Finally, blend in the hot water, if you need it to thin. I usually just stop and use less oil if it starts to get too thick.
    Refrigerate until use.

If I haven't put this in our recipe thread, I will do it now.

N=1 week 4 update

I started my n=1 on 46g protein, 6g carbs & 1130 cals. Ratio 16-2-82.

The low protein was to ensure I entered NK as soon as possible & the low cals was because I have never lost weight on 1200+ cals in the past. I am also not a great believer in calculated BMR values.

After 2 weeks I lost 6lb but at the end of week 3 I had gained back 2lb. On the verge of giving up I was encouraged to up the protein to 55g, which is just below the low end of my protein level using the optimal diet formula, and increase calories to 1350 which is 20% < my supposed calculated sedentary BMR. Ratio stayed the same at 16-2-82

The protein suggestion I am grateful for. 46g was not sustainable long term. 55g is. It allows me to eat my favourite meals without having to have all the protein at that one meal so for now I will continue with that.

The 1350 calories I have found to be more problematic. Because of the protein restrictions & my low carb intake, it means my diet is basically fat. But there is only so much fat you eat in a meal. I ended up reintroducing HCWC to get the calories up. This is a known trigger food for me & after 3 days I gave it up again. Having trigger foods is not where I need to be right now. Also, eating for the sake of eating is what got me into being over weight in the first place. I need to learn to listen to my body & eat only when hungry. Predictably I also gained another 2 lb giving me a net loss of 2lb for the past 4wks.

Moving forward

I have put together 30 daily menus (6 lunches, 5 dinners, everything else the same) giving me a Protein range of 50g-56g, calorie range of 1050-1350 & enabling me to keep my fat >78%. I expect a weekly average of approx 1200 cals/day. Doing it this way means I can get on with life without having to think about food all the time. A bit of calorie cycling won’t hurt and is more in keeping with a long term WOE than trying to stick to the same calories every day.

I have come to realise that for me, losing my last 30lb is going to be a long journey rather than a short sprint so the whole thing will be more sustainable if I keep it in the back ground.

I will continue to track daily for the next 2 months & see what happens before making any changes as I want to get some solid data before determining my next move (hopefully I won’t need one lol).

Will report back in 4 weeks.

PS: 2 non weight changes I have noticed are that my damaged knee no longer aches & the black dog doesn't visit so often. For both of these I am truly grateful to NK.
    Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 03-25-2013 at 02:18 AM. Reason: PS

geostump is online now Senior Member
    I'm having reservations about being able to keep up with NK and my job and keep my sanity. I ate totally WAAAAAAYYY off plan this weekend and I think I needed to. I have a headache right now. I'm debating on sticking with NK or just doing straight low carb. This job is more stressful than my last one and I am hoping that the one I interviewed for does come through. I never would have thought that a data entry job would be more stressful than a full on health insurance call center rep position was.
    Georgette

NK is not the be all & end all. Your mental & physical health is more important. Why don’t you stick with the eating plan which works best for you right now (Sorry you are having such a bad time with your job). That would remove one stress from your life. You can always go back to doing NK later (if you decide to give it up for now) when the job situation resolves itself.