Page 252 of 282 FirstFirst ... 152202242250251252253254262 ... LastLast
Results 2,511 to 2,520 of 2813

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 252

Shop Now
    Back on March 11, I wrote a note in my MDA Journal that I was going to give up dairy (except butter in BP coffee) and artificial sweetners. Drinking just plain water took a little getting used to, but we have good tasting water, and it seemed like I was going to succeed. I didn't see any change in the scale, but I figured it would just take time. Well, I had to do some grocery shopping Tuesday morning and I went ahead and bought my mom a 1.5 quart container of Rocky Road ice cream. She has not been able to have ice cream because I can't have it in the house - it is a major binge food (all or nothing) for me. She had some with her lunch, then had some for desert after dinner. I asked for a little bit, and she kindly gave me just about a half cup. MMM delicious. Waited for her to go to bed, then I got up and took some more. Then I took a little more. I repeated this till the container was EMPTY. I hid the container under my bathroom sink and am praying that she'll forget about it (she's 87).
    The remorse is almost overwhelming. Not only did I eat all of my mom's ice cream, I consumed almost 300 grams of simple carbohydrates in one sitting.
    I went back to Crystal lite in my water yesterday. Screw it.
    "Just give me all the bacon and eggs you have. Wait, wait. I'm worried what you just heard was, 'Give me a lot of bacon and eggs.' What I said was, 'Give me all the bacon and eggs you have'. Do you understand?" - Ron Swanson

Georgia Porga is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    A carb refeed to me just means that I have lost days in ketosis and have to start all over again. Of course, I tend to binge a few times a month anyway so there is my carb refeed. Does it help weightloss? Not for me. It usually takes a week for me to lose the bloat weight.
    I ask because good ole Dave Aspry over @ bullet proof has a carb reefed day as part of his rapid fat loss protocol witch is a very intense NK diet, I think it is supposed to reset lepton and bump you of NK for a day or 2. I did his protocol last spring with some success then a neck injury threw off my weight loss efforts completely... But you are right about the bloat witch is water weight not fat after only one day of high carbs and I always feel better on a high fat diet anyway. Just wondering if there might be any benefits to a couple days out of NK then back to the protocol.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    There might be benefits. You will have to test it as your own n=1.

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    Don't beat yourself up Desertcreature. I've done the same thing with different foods and while I don't endorse it, it is fairly normal occurrence for some of us. That's one reason why I'm here in the EMF group...I really need to break all my all or nothing habits. For me, it's the first bite. I may want something, but it can be avoided as long as I don't take that first bite. Once I do, the craving is almost unbearable.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    What she said. That first bite is the slide down hill.

whitewolf is offline Junior Member
    I'm reading this thread daily but have no intention at the moment to try NK, maybe someday though...

Desertcreature - if it makes you feel better you are not alone
    I totally can relate to that first bite thing. Few days ago I bought a 100gr dark chocolate, figured I would keep that in my car's glovebox and can have a little bits from it about a week. Yeah I thought I was there, that eating fat and all the good things have made me person with normal eating habits. wrong. Took first bite, did not even liked it very much (wasn't my favorite brand, did not melted right etc) then took another, and another, half of it was already gone and I was not even chewing it properly. Then understood that I am not going to stop unless it is all gone and I threw it out of my car window (sorry for polluting streets). Can't explain this, just crazy. And I have candy in my house (for the kid), have ice cream in the freezer but as long as I do not take a bite, I'm good.

Can't you buy your mother ice-cream in a cone or smaller packages. Then you can't eat it because it is your dear mother's ice-cream and you just can't do that

geostump is offline Senior Member
    I decided to step on the scale this morning. Thought I noticed a whoosh but on the scale it showed a gain. I'm at 203 pounds. I know I have been working out so I am hoping it's just muscle gain. It could also be the departing Russian Circus and it could be the fact that I am having weekly cheats. I need to get rid of those. My clothes still fit well or better than they have in a while.
    Georgette

Primal123 is offline Senior Member
    I felt myself wanting to eat for no reason yesterday am (probably impending period). Anyway, after eating breakfast and then lunch two hours later, feeling very full (yuck) but still looking for something to munch I decided to drink a glass of salt water. I thought I might need a sodium boost. Used about a teaspoon of Real Salt and that was the end of my desire to nosh. I wasn't even hungry at dinner. Sampled one dish and decided I was not even remotely hungry so called it a day. Weight is up today due to sodium content (my rings are tight) but I think I managed to keep my calories in check even though I wanted to eat for no reason.

Friday Report

This was the first week of my no dairy, no sweeteners experiment. I kept protein at the 60-70g level, but brought fat back down to 75% from my attempt at 80-85% during the first 2 weeks of March. My calories were lower this week by 2000. Exercise level was the same. I am basically following the Rosedale diet protocol that I reviewed last week.

Macros 75%fat / 20%protein / 5%carb 117g / 65g / 20g around 1400cals (BMR -20%). This is the absolute lowest I will go in calories.

Wt. 220.3 Loss for week -6. Total loss since 1/1 -27.5 I am now within 10 lbs of my lowest Primal wt. Getting excited. The two previous weeks, I lost 2lb and then gained 1lb. I think fat was too high for me. As you can see, a six lb loss cannot only be explained by a 2000 cal drop.

Fasting Blood Sugar - In the 80's all week until the day after I had a protein binge on pork ribs. Wed. Protein total was 147 grams. Thurs. FBS 100. I may do some experiments this week with protein. I find I need more when I exercise heavily. I would like to be able to have some higher protein days (up to 85 grams) if possible.

Ketones - ketostix have always worked great for me. All week they were reading Large until this morning when they turned moderate in reaction to the protein binge. I have seen correlations between FBS and ketones in my own n=1. Jimmy Moore has monthly excel sheets you can compare. Every time FBS is high, ketones go low within a day.

Conclusion: For me dairy and artificial sweeteners do impede weight loss and are not worth it right now. I did not suffer without either of them and had no more urge to binge than the usual. (13 days clean)

This weeks plan: Cont' same macros and calorie level. Some protein experimentation. No sweeteners, no dairy.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Good Job Primal 123!

desert creature, Your body may be fine with sweeteners and dairy.

Geo, that seems pretty good to me considering everything that you have been going through. Please don't be discouraged.