Page 236 of 281 FirstFirst ... 136186226234235236237238246 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,360 of 2806

Thread: Eat More Fat! The Nutritional Ketosis Challenge continues... page 236

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I wear the five fingers whereever I go. Everyday. THey may be ugly but they are the most amazing shoes I have ever worn!
    Quote Originally Posted by mks8500 View Post
    I'll look it up for sure. I'm wearing the 5 fingers around the house now and I swear I'd love to hate these shoes because they're so ugly but it doesn't hurt as badly as it did earlier today. I appreciate all the comments. I have soooo much sympathy for anyone that's ever experienced this. Yikes!!

Megan
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    good luck with it. I have been that route, several times in several different ways. Yes I lost it, but here I am with a seriously messed up body from the yoyoing. For me what is important is that what I am doing is not only successful in the fat loss category, and healthy (makes me feel good physically), but that I can sustain it for life. Restricting calories to any degree for every single day of the rest of my life is not sustainable.

Ancel Keyes did a study on starvation, interesting. Someone wrote a book about it. Very good, and enlightening.
    I agree calorie restriction cannot be for life but I don't see how one can lose weight if there isn't some calorie restriction involved. After all, what is JUDDD if not a form of calorie restriction?

Surely the basis of being fat adapted is that the body uses its own body fat as an additional energy source? If you are providing optimal nutrition for the body (ie taking in adequate nutrient dense protein & fat along with opening up the body's fat burning pathway) how can that be termed a starvation diet? If it is then we have just proved the keto calculator is flawed as it does not included a minimum calorie intake whatever that may be.
    Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 03-16-2013 at 01:56 PM. Reason: add quote

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    You know, I have used three different calculators and I get the similar (within 20 cals) reading every time. I could see it being logical that your body doesn't actually burn the BMR calories calculated, but the calculators themselves are pretty similar even when they use a different calculating method.

As for only eating 30g fat, that seems scary low to me and was why I had a problem with martinus' calculator in the first place. It seemed ridiculous that he would suggest something like that could be healthy. The /r/keto FAQ everything about keto that the Keto calculator is attached to seems to suggest a higher level of fat..
    I have had BMR calculations from 1358 to 1644. Just tried the UK nhs one & that has told me 1465. Hence you can see my confusion.

I agree 30g fat is probably too low & I can't say I really want to do <500 cals as a long term eating plan. But the theory is interesting. I would love to know what the optimal macro is that would allow me to utilise the maximum amount of my body fat whilst not slowing down my metabolism (I guess we all would). I am committed to sticking to my n=1 for another week any way until I get to the end of week 4. If this stall/gain continues after that I will think again.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddraig Goch View Post
    I agree calorie restriction cannot be for life but I don't see how one can lose weight if there isn't some calorie restriction involved. After all, what is JUDDD if not a form of calorie restriction?

Surely the basis of being fat adapted is that the body uses its own body fat as an additional energy source? If you are providing optimal nutrition for the body (ie taking in adequate nutrient dense protein & fat along with opening up the body's fat burning pathway) how can that be termed a starvation diet? If it is then we have just proved the keto calculator is flawed as it does not included a minimum calorie intake whatever that may be.

you are correct, I should not have said "any" restriction. However it is my hope that I will get to a point where conscious restriction is not necessary. I actually think that version of JUDD, or a 5:2, or IF if you prefer would be doable for life. Because technically it would allow reasonable occasional treats. That doesn't happen on extreme caloric restriction. And I honestly don't see how you could be taking in adequate nutrition when your daily intake is that low. HOWEVER, this whole this is a giant experiment for each of us. In the same way that I am not willing to give up dairy or AS, I am not willing to restrict calories to that level on a daily basis for the (at least) 1 year it would require me to get to goal.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    I need help. I'm having some serious issues keeping up with NK and my job. I hate to cook meals ahead of time, but I think that I'm going to have to. I have no idea how to cook like that, other than crockpot cooking. When I came home from work last night and tonight, we had respectively, pizza and chinese. Last night, I just ate the toppings off the pizza and tonight I had fried rice and an egg roll. I'm exhausted when I get home from work and don't want to do a damn thing. I like my job, but its very stressful and I'm finding myself wanting to slip and I know that if I slip, I'll never make goal. I will not give up dairy, I think right now that would be very bad for me. I've been considering eating nothing but fat bombs when I get home and let the family fend for themselves. This job is so different from anything that I've ever done and with the way I felt the last 2 nights, I'm not sure I can keep up with both the job and NK.
    Georgette

ok Geo, you know you can do it. We tend to fulfill our expectations, go you have to get a PMA (positive mental attitude).

So what is wrong with doing the crock pot every day. there is a woman on pinterest who does low carb crock pot everyday. You can change it up on the weekends. One pot meal, easy clean up, yummy. Win win win!

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    ok Geo, you know you can do it. We tend to fulfill our expectations, go you have to get a PMA (positive mental attitude).

So what is wrong with doing the crock pot every day. there is a woman on pinterest who does low carb crock pot everyday. You can change it up on the weekends. One pot meal, easy clean up, yummy. Win win win!
    PMA is not my friend, especially when I am stressed, like I am now. I'm a poor planner with food and I don't have enough recipes that I can make in the crockpot. Half the time, my family won't eat things I make in the crockpot. It's like a strange science experiment to them.
    Last edited by geostump; 03-16-2013 at 06:02 PM.
    Georgette

martinus is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    As for only eating 30g fat, that seems scary low to me and was why I had a problem with martinus' calculator in the first place. It seemed ridiculous that he would suggest something like that could be healthy. The /r/keto FAQ everything about keto that the Keto calculator is attached to seems to suggest a higher level of fat..
    Technically, eating just 30g of fat should be possible if you have enough body fat to supply the missing calories. In theory you could eat zero fat and be ketogenic - in practice that's definitely not healthy.

P&V wrote that that you should eat at least 30g daily to prevent the formation of gallstones, that's what I am using as the lower limit. I don't really know how to find out what a healthy lower limit would be. I think the main concern is that one might not get much fat soluble vitamins or trace elements, so a multivitamin might be helpful

Sorry Geo, I will try less cheerleading and do something more useful. If you go to chowstalker and put crock pot into the search line several pages of recipes will come up. They have photos so you can decide ahead of time if it is something your family might be interested in.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    I have lost 3.5 lbs in the two days since I started the new macros, dropped dairy and artificial sweeteners. I only dropped calories by 500, so it is not just a case of cals in and out.

My new macros 75%/20%/5% 1400 cals (20% below BMR)
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67